Model Cars Magazine Forum

THE OFFICIAL CannonBall Run 2020 theme thread!

disconovaman

Hey folks, this is the Official "Casting Call" for all ideas on what the 2020 Cannonball Run theme will be... I nominated myself to run the 2020 CBR running for a couple of reasons #1 I really don't want it to end after such a successful long run we've had. #2 I'm disappointed in myself that I wasn't able to participate in the 2019 Vannonball Run. So as a redemption, I will not only enter but take on the Role of running the event as well. Thanks for passing the torch and giving me the chance to Oversee what I hope will be the biggest CBR yet.

Thanks to Jantrix for the inspiration. I'll do my best to make you proud... ?

So... Now on to choosing the theme! 

To make the best decision on the theme I encourage everyone interested in joining to submit their ideas and we'll pick the one who seems to be the most popular first. (in about a 10 days.) kind of a race within a race. Lol.

I'll start with my ideas... Hopefully they will be vauge and just complicated enough to pull out a Great outcome... Thanks agian!

#1 Movie,TV, & Film cars

#2 Factory Phantom 

#3 Rear/Mid engine

#4 Station Wagons

#5 Rescue a Build-up

Screenshot_20191205-111609~2.png

Edited by disconovaman

I some ideas.

1.       1:1 Ownership – build must be of something YOU have owned. Not something in the family or something your neighbor had, etc. Something YOU owned. Need pics of the real thing included in your submission, preferably a pic of you with the vehicle.

2.       Movie Car Inception – must build a movie car out of a movie car. For example, turning a DeLorean into KITT. Or turning Christine into the General Lee. Or The A-Team van into Ecto-1. Ecto 1 into Wayne Campbell’s Mirthmobile?

3.       Rockin’ and Rollin’ – music inspired build. Tour bus? Equipment van? Limo? Tribute vehicle? Mad Max guitar truck thing? Something music-related.

:)

3 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I some ideas.

1.       1:1 Ownership – build must be of something YOU have owned. Not something in the family or something your neighbor had, etc. Something YOU owned. Need pics of the real thing included in your submission, preferably a pic of you with the vehicle.

2.       Movie Car Inception – must build a movie car out of a movie car. For example, turning a DeLorean into KITT. Or turning Christine into the General Lee. Or The A-Team van into Ecto-1. Ecto 1 into Wayne Campbell’s Mirthmobile?

3.       Rockin’ and Rollin’ – music inspired build. Tour bus? Equipment van? Limo? Tribute vehicle? Mad Max guitar truck thing? Something music-related.

Although I will not be involved in this next years CBR, I will occasionaly poke my head in and wave.

A note on the CBR theme. The isn't just a theme build off. You must build a car that is capable of and that you would want to do a 3000 mile race in. Keep that in mind. 

3 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

You must build a car that is capable of and that you would want to do a 3000 mile race in.

Yes! This is one of the original rules that keep the Cannonball going from year to year,

Street legal and worthy of the trip...

6 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

1:1 Ownership

I would have alot to choose from lol... but not any pictures of me standing beside the car... in fact no pictures of me at all I hate posing for photos lol ?

My vote would go to either the Movie car or Phantom car. I have things in mind for both.

As to limiting the Movie cars to "First Come, First Served" there are advantages both ways. As stated on a different thread, if 5 people pick the General Lee it does not mean that 5 people would complete their build. If the 5th person who entered was the only one to finish it they would have been left out if the "F.C.F.S." is put in place. Just something else to consider.

6 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Hey folks, this is the Official "Casting Call" for all ideas on what the 2020 Cannonball Run theme will be... I nominated myself to run the 2020 CBR running for a couple of reasons #1 I really don't want it to end after such a successful long run we've had. #2 I'm disappointed in myself that I wasn't able to participate in the 2019 Vannonball Run. So as a redemption, I will not only enter but take on the Role of running the event as well. Thanks for passing the torch and giving me the chance to Oversee what I hope will be the biggest CBR yet.

Thanks to Jantrix for the inspiration. I'll do my best to make you proud... ?

So... Now on to choosing the theme! 

To make the best decision on the theme I encourage everyone interested in joining to submit their ideas and we'll pick the one who seems to be the most popular first. (in about a 10 days.) kind of a race within a race. Lol.

I'll start with my ideas... Hopefully they will be vauge and just complicated enough to pull out a Great outcome... Thanks agian!

#1 Movie,TV, & Film cars

#2 Factory Phantom 

#3 Rear/Mid engine

#4 Station Wagons

#5 Rescue a Build-up

Screenshot_20191205-111609~2.png

Forgive my ignorance, but what's a Factory Phantom?

From a different thread:

"Factory Phantom" CBR (any car or truck that wasn't a production vehicle Ex: GTO station wagon. SS Chevelle 4 door. Corvette truckster/Elcamino) anything that didn't exist but could've or should've.

2 hours ago, DPNM said:

If the 5th person who entered was the only one to finish it they would have been left out if the "F.C.F.S." is put in place. Just something else to consider

What if we give people the option to opt out before the end of the run? If they know they can't finish it this would give someone else the option to enter a specific "General Lee" movie car for the Run.

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

What if we give people the option to opt out before the end of the run? If they know they can't finish it this would give someone else the option to enter a specific "General Lee" movie car for the Run.

One thing to remember is that only the outside has to look like the movie car. You can have different engines, interiors, etc.

Also, there is always the option of dropping out, and/or changing your build kit anyway. At least that's how its been in the past.

8 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

... 1.       1:1 Ownership – build must be of something YOU have owned. Not something in the family or something your neighbor had, etc. Something YOU owned. Need pics of the real thing included in your submission, preferably a pic of you with the vehicle.

[...]

I'll back this idea.  Have two cars that I've been wanting to build.   They wouldn't win a real race, but with a different engine one would be a qualifier.

This is great feed back guys. I've given some thoughts on the Movie Car theme and I decided not to restrict multiples of the same movie car. If you want to stand out it will make it more challenging building the same car but if you are up for the challenge then I'm all for it. I just want it to go as smooth as possible. Lol

I'm in for the TV/movie cars.
Creativity thinking it would be pretty cool to restore/upgrade a retired Hollywood car to make the 3k journey quick, comfortable and reliable.

My only caveat is the exterior should remain as close as possible to the original Hollywood car. These means the original (or similar) wheels, and no add-on like scoops, spoilers etc...
Now, whatever you do under the hood and under the car; that's between you and the law. LOL

Edited by LouO

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

Yes, this was something that I thought about...a cool way to tie in with the Cannonball run theme too.

I like the intent, but when I go through the list of cars from those shows that have decent pics, it seems very limiting for available kits.

The kits from the Euro movie would mostly be Fujimi and maybe Tamiya.

I like the movie car idea. Here are some ideas that I have.

small block chevy (you cans build any car but it has to have a sbc)

LS (you cans build any car but it has to have a LS) 

pre 1960s technology ( everything that you use for the biuld has to be something that was around before 1960. 

15 minutes ago, 426 pack said:

LS

The Great thing about the Movie Car theme is that you wont be limited on drivetrain as long as it doesn't alter the appearance as screen used. An LS Powered Bandit Trans am would be Awesome to see in the running.

Also, I was looking back and refreshing my memory on past CBRs and there has been a voting poll with the theme choices. I was just gonna give it 10 days and count the ideas... the ideas with the most "Yays" I would go with... but If we need that voting poll I'll have to get help from someone who knows how to set it up or maybe give me directions on how to go about it... Thanks 

I think wagons are a great idea... I wanna build the family truckster... complete with aunt Edna on the roof rack and "Honky lips" on the side...

There used to be a website that had all the specs for building the 1/24th kit. It had sorta a blue print for the sides and top and resin grill and taillights it was curbside but I think I could've turned it into a complete kit with a donor like maybe Revell's alter nomad... I'm gonna have to search for that now...lol

You may want to consider putting up a poll soon with some, most or all of what has been asked for as the next CannonBall.

If you wait ten days to see how many "Yays" you get for the next CBR you may get an additional 20 different ideas by then.

I can not speak for him, Lunajammer posted the current (2019) CBR poll and he may be able to help you post one to decide the next one. You may want to send him a PM concerning how to do it.