Model Cars Magazine Forum

THE OFFICIAL CannonBall Run 2020 theme thread!

disconovaman

I love the Internet Moviecar Database... I'm a member on there too. Back when the Internet first took off I designed my own web page for Movie and TV cars called MakeMyCarFamous.com I dedicated the website to all cars and trucks on film from magazine to movies. I kept it it going until the domain freeze act took effect. It was fun for a while. It had a movies to watch section, lots of moviecar facts and photos of old Hotrod/Carcraft magazines. The internet has went through alot of changes since then. 

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with the rules.  I have some questions.  Does the car have to be unbuilt, untouched?  How long do we have to complete this project?   I do like the T/V. movie theme myself.

2 hours ago, Nazz said:

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with the rules.  I have some questions.  Does the car have to be unbuilt, untouched?  How long do we have to complete this project?   I do like the T/V. movie theme myself.

Anthony will post the official rules, and the they may change slightly but here are the pertinent rules from last year's run. You can learn a lot by looking at past run threads.

The rules:

-  The build can be either a new or started kit up to 25% complete. A rebuilder or parts box special is okay too. 1/24 or 1/25. If you absolutely must do a 1/20 model we’ll likely bend the rules as we have before, but that’s the limit.

-  If you have a previously started racer from a previous running of the Cannonball (SA or MCM) 50% complete or less, they are eligible to run this year as long as they meet the theme requirement. All of our previous runs are still available on either of the two forums. If you are going to do this, please be certain it was involved in a previous run.

-  Before starting please post a photo of your kit(s) or pile o’ parts. No limitation on technology used.

-  The car must appear to be street legal. Headlights, tail lights, license plate etc.

On 12/6/2019 at 10:47 AM, disconovaman said:

The Great thing about the Movie Car theme is that you wont be limited on drivetrain as long as it doesn't alter the appearance as screen used. An LS Powered Bandit Trans am would be Awesome to see in the running.

Also, I was looking back and refreshing my memory on past CBRs and there has been a voting poll with the theme choices. I was just gonna give it 10 days and count the ideas... the ideas with the most "Yays" I would go with... but If we need that voting poll I'll have to get help from someone who knows how to set it up or maybe give me directions on how to go about it... Thanks 

Ok then you can count me in for movie cars then. 

57 minutes ago, MeatMan said:

Anthony will post the official rules

Thanks, Yes I will be posting the rules in the official 2020 Build thread. If I have to add any rules it will be just to accommodate the theme we choose.

4 hours ago, matthijsgrit said:

Restomod Movie Cars?

That's about the sound of it lol... or build it totally like it was in the movie, your choice. the modern updates may help you win the CBR or the Race (hypothetically)as well...

19 minutes ago, 426 pack said:

count me in for movie cars then

I have reached out in regards to the poll for choosing a theme and I'm waiting for a reply. I don't want to drop the ball on this one. I am eager to start the build thread though. My vote will be for the Movie, TV, & film cars theme... but that's just me... and you too lol

If we can get 10 votes on the Movie car theme I'll go ahead and announce that as the theme. as far as I can tell we have 4 maybe 5 on board at this point. Thanks guys.

If its movie cars would an updated version as if in a modern remake (think the 2 versions of gone in 60 seconds) but for a movie that hasn't been remade be ok? Keeping the paint and og body style but with modern enhancements ala pro touring/tuner builds. Almost a sema version of a movie car

I would think that if you wanted to build a 71-73 Mustang with a coyote engine and call it Eleanor from Gone in 60 seconds.... that would be ok with me as long as you find inspiration from that movie and incorporate the same car and overall look of it. Make it recognizable as that movie car...

Edited by disconovaman

On 12/6/2019 at 5:09 PM, MeatMan said:

There were station wagons in movies. Maybe you could find one that works for you in the database that Stitchdup posted. https://www.imcdb.org/

I was meaning station wagons as the general topic as suggested in the first post. Although an ecto 1 smoothed out and painted in the scheme of the general lee did cross my mind lol

1 minute ago, SoDak1 said:

Although an ecto 1 smoothed out and painted in the scheme of the general lee did cross my mind lol

Too funny! The movie/tv show in which the Duke boys become Ghostbusters to catch Boss Hogg and Roscoe's ghost before they try to pin a false charge on them! Of course they'll have to film that first lol!

16 hours ago, disconovaman said:

What an inspiration! Fantastic work Pat! 

I see you're no stranger to the concept!

if anyone is on the fence about what the theme shall be... These examples should push you over really fast!  

The phantom theme would work too. Station wagon and mid-rear engine will also work, just want to make sure I build something this year.

FB_IMG_1552333506019.jpg.64fa63790a94aafb0670206d547c57c9.jpg20181026_112714.thumb.jpg.fe269e3c5ac3f99e8c86a536d806928b.jpg20181026_112733.thumb.jpg.45a076915af653ee325be5603733aaab.jpg

Edited by Pat Minarick

Those are some great Phantom examples. They capture Exactly what I'm thinking of! Looks like they could've been done in real life.

My opinion is the Rear/mid-engine challenge would fit into the Movie car theme fairly well. There are some good options to choose from. "Two Nuns in a Ferrari" Huh? Lol including Colt Sievers High Flying GMC, believe it or not, the truck in the Jump scenes was mid-engine!

There's an Awesome mini-documentary on Vin-wiki about the New CBR Record and their strategies... and the Monte Carlo is So cool!

Screenshot_20191209-094411~2.png

e8ab23cf1b240e339ab4aa363caccd22.jpg

Personally I'm not so much into the TV/Movie cars theme but if that ends up being the theme for 2020, I'll figure something out. If the Movie Car theme is chosen, is it OK to build something that was used as a background vehicle or are we limited to cars that had bigger "roles" in a movie?

The most important thing would be to keep the overall look the way the car appears in the movie, even though you could make modifications under the hood. That would be fun.;)