Model Cars Magazine Forum

I was in a Walmart in Henderson, Nevada today and near the toy sections was free standing display of AMT model kits. I saw Autocar dump, Cat dozer, several Coke themed models , the jeep with cannon from Godzilla movie and 4X4 Ford pick up. No paints or other supplies I would guess this is a seasonal display only.

3 minutes ago, ROY FERGUSON said:

I was in a Walmart in Henderson, Nevada today and near the toy sections was free standing display of AMT model kits. I saw Autocar dump, Cat dozer, several Coke themed models , the jeep with cannon from Godzilla movie and 4X4 Ford pick up. No paints or other supplies I would guess this is a seasonal display only.

Darn it... now I gotta stop by Walmart.... I try and avoid that place at all costs.

But I'll do it for a kit.

Cue the Klondike bar jingle and replace Klondike bar with "model kit" then pose the question.... "would you venture into walmart"... and then I reply "yes"

I have herd several people mention that Wal Mart had models again. This must be a regional sale item since I haven't seen any locally. Many years ago they used to offer the AMT kits with the brown and tan checkered boxes. Some had most of the extras removed from the tree, but many were as originally issued and only cost $9.99. I couldn't stop buying them.   

My wife ordered new bikes for the kids for Christmas from Wal-Mart online, and I stopped by the Schererville, IN store to pick them up.

On the main aisle through the back of the store, they had a Round 2 free standing display, as described above.  Quite surprised by the variety of kits they had.  One side seemed to have "basic" automotive (car) kits that were $19.99, these included:

1959 Imperial, 1967 Impala, 1967 GTO (the New Weekend Warrior version), 1971 Duster, 1972 Nova "Old Pro", '77 Pinto (stock) and quite a few others I don't recall.

Next side seemed to be all the TV/movie licensed vehicles, including Knight Rider, the Godzilla Jeep, Ghostbusters Ecto 1, etc.  I believe these were all $24.99.

Third side I believe was all Coca Cola branded kits. Yeah yeah, I know: "They could fill the whole display with those!"  I believe all those were either $22.99 or $24.99, didn't pay attention because I didn't care.

Last side was a hodge podge: some Lindberg non-auto garbage and Weird-Ohs kits on top for $14.99 I think (again: didn't care). Bottom was pick-up kits for $24.99.  Several of these were the ones with bonus items like the '78 Dodge and '86 El Camino with the mini-bikes and the '60 Chevy with the go-cart, so at least there's an argument for why you'd pay more for those.  But they also had the GMC Deserter and the Super Stones '78 Ford, which really don't strike me as anything special.

The basic automotive kits aren't too bad of a deal at $19.99.  Since most kits at HL list for $29.99 now, even with a 40% off coupon your paying $17.99 plus tax.  Since my local HL has refused to stock anything new for months, this is a pretty good alternative.

I ended up getting the '67 GTO because of the Christmas tree, tires, extra wheels, and decals they added for the Weekend Warrior reissue.  Sure the base kit is still a turd, but they polished it up enough to get me to buy another!

Edited by Robberbaron

14 hours ago, ROY FERGUSON said:

As I remember Cat dozer and Autocar dump $29.95, 4X4 pick up $19.95 Coke themes $19.95 BUT the shelves are price naked no the kits so the kits might be on the wrong shelf.

If you have the Walmart App on your phone (which I do for their pharmacy), there is a price scanner as part of it.  You can scan any bar code and it will tell you the price at your store.  I've used it in the store a couple of times.

Edited by Tom Geiger

10 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

If you have the Walmart App on your phone (which I do for their pharmacy), there is a price scanner as part of it.  You can scan any bar code and it will tell you the price at your store.  I've used it in the store a couple of times.

I was lucky at mine, since they had an in-store price scanner literally 5 feet away from the display.

None of the kits had price tags on them, there were only large tags on each side of the display.  I thought some of the kits might be in the wrong places, so I started grabbing several at a time and scanning each, with the results stated above.

Our local WalMart has only recently put out 2016 AutoWorld 1/64 diecasts, so maybe in 2024, we'll get the model kits?   The toy car aisle there is a sad place.   they put out the JDM 1/64 and 1/24 last year and this is just NOT the region for those.   So they sit and they will not put out anything new til those are sold?  I hate that store so much for so many reasons.     Anytime there is something that sells better than something else, they seem to intentionally stop carrying it or let the stock be depleted for months so you will buy another brand they want you to buy.   When asked, a manager person said they want to let their other "partners" sell their goods for a while.  And recently, you can't shop without having to go around or behind the employees stocking shelves.  Every aisle is blocked by stock people in the early evenings - like at 5 pm.  Oh, I gotta go take a pill now....lol

2 hours ago, randyc said:

And recently, you can't shop without having to go around or behind the employees stocking shelves.  Every aisle is blocked by stock people in the early evenings - like at 5 pm.  

Even worse are their internal shoppers, filling carts for curbside pickup. The carts they're filling are the size of minivans. If there are two of these in an aisle, you can simply forget about getting through that aisle for while. 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Even worse are their internal shoppers, filling carts for curbside pickup. The carts they're filling are the size of minivans. If there are two of these in an aisle, you can simply forget about getting through that aisle for while. 

We don't have that service here.  Yet.  That I know of.  Folks around here too tight to pay and extra fees for the service.  But I bet that is a mess.