Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 "Heavy Chevy" Chevelle 454 bench seat 4-speed

Bills72sj

This model was made to represent my buddy's 1:1 car (when it is finished). It is an old MPC kit molded in red from my stash. I had to convert the bucket seat/console to bench seat 4-speed. His is a true Heavy Chevy so it has the SS gauge dash (instead of the Malibu rectangular speedo). He and I put a killer stereo in it so I added the FOUR 10" subwoofers to the rear package shelf. I even made decals that match the brand we used. He painted his 454 BBC Ford blue so I did too. The headlight bezels and grille are blacked out as it is on the real one.

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

Edited by Bills72sj

When his real car gets repainted, he wants the Heavy Chevy stripe package in gold. So to emulate that, I ordered gold Heavy Chevy decals from Keith Marks. They laid out perfectly. The wheels are Hurst Dazzlers in gold. I showed him a picture of the wheels I wanted for my car and he liked them so much he bought them for his. I got the model rims from Modelhaus as the spokes are the same design as the Hurst wheels for mid-60's GTOs. The color is Testors Root Beer Brown metallic. It is covered with Testors 'Wet Look' clear. The model came out so well that I told him that I am keeping it until his real one makes its first car show. (pictures to follow if the text succeeds in posting)

IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG

Edited by Bills72sj

Beautiful looking Chevelle. The paint color and finish really look great. I also like the deep offset rear wheels. What was the source for the front bench seat ?  The pattern almost looks like a Pontiac or Oldsmobile  seat. The original theme with the Heavy Chevy was to offer a lot of the SS features, Dash and Stripes, at an affordable price as well as a better Insurance rate for the buyer. The base engine was a 350 and the usual assortment of transmissions. Just about any engine could be ordered but most were the 350's.   

2 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking Chevelle. The paint color and finish really look great. I also like the deep offset rear wheels. What was the source for the front bench seat ?  The pattern almost looks like a Pontiac or Oldsmobile  seat. The original theme with the Heavy Chevy was to offer a lot of the SS features, Dash and Stripes, at an affordable price as well as a better Insurance rate for the buyer. The base engine was a 350 and the usual assortment of transmissions. Just about any engine could be ordered but most were the 350's.   

The only big block you could get in a Heavy Chevy was 402 aka old 396 bored out. Only SS had 454

3 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking Chevelle. The paint color and finish really look great. I also like the deep offset rear wheels. What was the source for the front bench seat ?  The pattern almost looks like a Pontiac or Oldsmobile  seat.

David, you are very perceptive. The bench seat started life as the rear seat for a 62 Catalina. My parts box had few choices and the pattern was close enough.