Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Dodge D-501 2 Door Sedan

mopargreg

Hi all, Thought I would start sharing a few of my finished cars. Im little nervous about sharing as I wasn't sure what reaction everyone would have with my cars. This one was a stalled project started in 2017 & worked on it on & off. A 1957 Dodge D-501 2 Door Sedan. The 1:1 of these are super rare with only around 4 known to exist today. From what I understand around 50 of these were built. These D501's where street beasts, all out race car from the factory in 1957. Using leftover 354 Dual Quad Hemis from the 1956 Chrysler Nascars that were banned for 57, Dodge truck spindles & wheels & Chrysler rear end. Oh Yeah!

Ive looked over all the photos I could find of these on the internet, which I found photos of 3 of the cars & none of these had side mirrors which I thought was a bit strange?

This is a resin Modelhaus kit. Painted in Tamiya Pure Red & Tamiya Pure White, with Tamiya clear over the top. I build both static models & slot cars but in all honesty you cant tell the difference until you turn them upside down. This one is a slot car, basically built kurbside with a slot car chassis underneath & full unmodified interior. Just need to fit the guide back on as I take them off for photos. I look at this more of a model than a slot car so posting in this category. Also I still need to attach License plates.

Thanks for looking & if you enjoy this car I have a lot more similar cars finish Im happy to share :) 

393951-1000-0@2x.jpg

394161-1000-0.jpg

DSC06451.JPG

DSC06458.JPG

DSC06455.JPG

DSC06452.JPG

DSC06453.JPG

DSC06463.JPG

Great looking build. You had mentioned the outside rear view mirrors. Most states didn't require them until well into the 1960's. Most buyers realized the importance of having them so they were pretty common on the driver's side if nothing else. Since the original intent for this car I think Dodge might be looking for ways to minimize wind drag any way they could. Your build is very realistic looking and as mentioned by others here you wouldn't realize it was a Slot Car. 

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. 

Mr Obsessive - Yeah the Modelhaus kits go for crazy money now. I had been buying from Modelhaus for years & I’m lucky to have bought most of the Mopars I wanted when they first released them. So just 1 or 2 here & there. So didn’t notice the cost to much. 

Espo - Yes you would be right. I thought a drivers side mirror was standard. You don’t see to many Mopars from that era with no mirrors. 

Rob Hall - Thanks Rob! Yes I have the 57 & 58 Dodge Hardtops to build to. I’m usually not much into sedans but the 57 sedan totally does it for me. ?

10 minutes ago, mopargreg said:

Rob Hall - Thanks Rob! Yes I have the 57 & 58 Dodge Hardtops to build to. I’m usually not much into sedans but the 57 sedan totally does it for me. ?

Yeah, the Modelhaus did some really neat Forward Look Mopars.  I also have the '57 DeSoto hardtop, '60 Chrysler New Yorker 2dr, '60 Plymouth Savoy 4dr sedan, '61 Dodge Seneca 2dr sedan, and a '62 Chrysler Newport 4dr sedan from them also. 

Edited by Rob Hall

On 12/8/2019 at 8:29 AM, Rob Hall said:

Yeah, the Modelhaus did some really neat Forward Look Mopars.  I also have the '57 DeSoto hardtop, '60 Chrysler New Yorker 2dr, '60 Plymouth Savoy 4dr sedan, '61 Dodge Seneca 2dr sedan, and a '62 Chrysler Newport 4dr sedan from them also. 

Yes, I agree. Modelhaus was the holy grail for Forward Look Mopars. It’s slim pickings for any Forward Look Mopars in aftermarket now. I have all the Modelhaus kits you posted minus the 62 Chrysler plus some others. ?

Edited by mopargreg

• 2 weeks later...