Model Cars Magazine Forum

Oshkosh snow plow

3 hours ago, Sergey said:

Nice project, Jeff!

Well done! Good luck with it! Especially with the cab. It slightly wrong as I compare to first photo.

Thanks..guess I'm not sure what your referring to about the cab. It's a P series cab usually used on cement mixers, but will work for the plow..especially since it's the only available option ! I'm not aiming for 100 percent accuracy 

11 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Thanks..guess I'm not sure what your referring to about the cab. It's a P series cab usually used on cement mixers, but will work for the plow..especially since it's the only available option ! I'm not aiming for 100 percent accuracy 

Side trim lines are too thick for me. Upper trim is not exist on a real machine. Beside upper cab corners are smoother on truck, then on a model. The hardiest thing to fix are windows: the windscreen sits higher, then side windows. But as you are not aiming for 100 percent accuracy and you have much things to do - it's O-key.

I was looking at the cab after reading the comments above.  The cab is easily modified if you are willing to do a bit of sanding.  Take off the two out of scale trim strips and replace them with smaller half round Evergreen.  You can even adjust the windshield with a piece of sheet stock glued to the inside of the windshield opening.  Fill it right in and use some Squadron putty or putty of your choice to fill in seams.  After that is done re-mark the windshield opening in the correct orientation and cut away the sheet plastic accordingly.  The rubber gasket can be formed afterward.

Yeah looks like I could tweak the windshield location, and the trim would be easy to remove and replace .  I'll putter w when I finish the sander , I rebuilt the body w wider angle . The supports still have to be installed .

20191214_150921.thumb.jpg.0304605d7fd3fc0db69c67883a92588f.jpg

heres the hopper behind the cab , definitely looks better ...no more anorexic model now ! 

20191214_150855.jpg

Ok I broke out the power tools and modified the windshield location.  Its roughed in right now without any filler , but wanted to share and get opinions. 

Before 20191215_160727.thumb.jpg.1881271c4f482a2ac6d94cfaefafb695.jpg

making the insert pattern20191215_161311.thumb.jpg.d60a0002f2b564b4f0c46b6e7af7ace6.jpg

After gluing into the opening,  drilling the corners and cutting the new opening 20191215_172107.thumb.jpg.641c74a338d0e896f02578de88b453fd.jpg

20191215_172116.thumb.jpg.3b20b75c136f9e0e41cfcaf2fb4a00a0.jpg

20191215_172143.thumb.jpg.4e32ce0d4833e2c2a4eb264c0fb6bea7.jpg

I havent tampered with the trim yet, as the 1-1 has both strips, these just run short. The top molding should extend to the hood and be lower 

Any feedback welcome 

On 12/8/2019 at 9:17 AM, gotnitro? said:

A project I wanted to tackle was a snowplow, and not just any plow..I wanted to build an Oshkosh snow plow . When the snow started  falling here in Huskytown , the time had come !!!

I started this build the same way I usually do, collect tons of actual photos and info about the truck. Luck was on my side because the local highway dept that owned my Brockway,  also had one .

20190601_104811.thumb.jpg.a52474153508947686d00774331e96b1.jpg

Oh boy!!  In the early 1960's my family lived down the street from the  Ashtabula County Highway garage in the lake effect snow belt along Lake Erie.  The county had Oshkosh and FWD plows and snow blowers.  How I loved to see these rumble down our street on their way to clear the roads.  The other neat thing about the garage was they had a 5 cent Coke machine.

Looking at top of cowl relative to bottom of side windows. Original windshield relative to cowl wasn't too bad actually.  Side window bottoms and beltline moldings (relative to cowl) is more prominent inaccuracy.  Model will look good regardless.

Oshkosh.jpg

Oshkosh model.jpg

Edited by Flat32
Added cowl ref

Thanks for input,  the issue was discussed on social site, and was determined that Oshkosh had changed cab after 1971. The wipers location changed to above glass instead of the cowl. I didn't check the truck serial number when I visited, but now curious .

As far as the model goes..I'm gonna move the belt line trim down and get the windshield opening cleaned up and move forward. Thanks for all the feedback helping make it more accurate 

Stay tuned !!

On 12/8/2019 at 1:24 PM, gotnitro? said:

Awesome  !!!  I'd love to see a pic of their truck if ya get chance 

Always amazed seeing  these trucks still around at numerous townships 

So your in Alaska?  Yeah, I guess you need good plows

there for dang sure!?!

We have tons of Oshkosh trucks around here, that's for

sure.  I have been in the plant in Oshkosh many times!

My favorite area is the defense plant though, I love to

see those big ol' military trucks.

The Sheboygan County Hi-Way dept. seems to run only

the Oshkosh trucks, as far as I know!?!

Great project Jeff, I will be checking in regularly to see

all your awesome work here!!  Build on sir!!!  ?

David S.

On 12/8/2019 at 3:51 PM, Chariots of Fire said:

AAhhhhh!  Scratch building!   What a treat to watch.  Tell me again where the front steering knuckles came from.  Will be following along for sure.  I've been out of site for a while with truck builds.  This is what has been on my plate.  The Missus thought it would be nice to have a model of Bluenose!?

Nice work on the Bluenose, Charlie!  I did the old plastic Aurora one last year, though I did start a Billings wooden one way back when, what a challenge.  You did well working with wood (and string too, by the looks of it)

1 hour ago, hct728(Bob) said:

Wow, a very ambitious project, but coming along nicely, pretty fast work, too. Guess it helps to have a good set of plans for something as complex as that hopper

Plans ? Nope just photos I took of the truck and available images online.  Some is purely SWAG

2 hours ago, hct728(Bob) said:

Nice work on the Bluenose, Charlie!  I did the old plastic Aurora one last year, though I did start a Billings wooden one way back when, what a challenge.  You did well working with wood (and string too, by the looks of it)

Thanks, Bob.  I will be glad to be getting back to truck building!  Once the sails are furled, there won't be much left to do.

7 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Plans ? Nope just photos I took of the truck and available images online.  Some is purely SWAG

Some call it SWAG, but I call it a do-over (& over until you get it right! )  Breaks my heart to have to rip apart bodywork 'cause I didn't start with enough info, but here I can't deny it's working for you, looks just right!