Model Cars Magazine Forum

12 minutes ago, larry ray said:

How do you figure scale I would like to know how much is 8 inches 1:1 in 1.25 scale.  Thanks

You mean 1/25 scale. 1/25 of 8" is .32". Just punch 1/25 of any number of inches into Google and get an instant answer. 1/25 of 12" is .48" or a tad shy of 1/2".

8 (your measurement)  divided by 25 (your scale) = 0.32 inch. The exact fraction is 8/25

To get a close and understandable from a ruler viewpoint fraction 0.32 is a bit less than a third of an inch. My thought is 5/16 should be close.

Why go to Google when you can do this using any basic 4-function calculator?  Or just do it longhand (of you still remember how). This is 1st grade math.

Just take the 1:1 dimension (in inches), divide it by 25 (or whatever scale you need to use), and you get the scale dimension (still in 1:1 inches, which you do need to fabricate the part).  I have couple of those tiny cheap calculators (keychains) from Staples (or Dollar Store) hanging around my workbench, just for this purpose.

8" / 25 = 0.32"  I also own a $20 digital calipers from Harbor Freight, so I can dial 0.320" directly on the calipers to measure out the part I'm making.  Those are couple of (very inexpensive) tools I find indispensable in this hobby.

I find the digital 

On 12/8/2019 at 10:23 PM, peteski said:

Why go to Google when you can do this using any basic 4-function calculator?  Or just do it longhand (of you still remember how). This is 1st grade math.

Just take the 1:1 dimension (in inches), divide it by 25 (or whatever scale you need to use), and you get the scale dimension (still in 1:1 inches, which you do need to fabricate the part).  I have couple of those tiny cheap calculators (keychains) from Staples (or Dollar Store) hanging around my workbench, just for this purpose.

8" / 25 = 0.32"  I also own a $20 digital calipers from Harbor Freight, so I can dial 0.320" directly on the calipers to measure out the part I'm making.  Those are couple of (very inexpensive) tools I find indispensable in this hobby.

The digital caliper has saved my sanity in both the hobby and my profession more times than I can count!

It is most assuredly a must have tool for ANY fabricator/mechanic etc...

If I were to try scratch building the scale I'd choose would be 25.4:1 or a simple 1mm=1".  That way a digital caliper in mm mode would simply be read as 1:1 scale inches.  A metric dial caliper would be the same only lacking the ability to switch the measurement to actual inches.

Using 25.4 as a scale might allow the scratch built model to "fit" reasonably well alongside either 1:25 or 1:24 kit models.