Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T SE (Special Edition)

Bills72sj

This is a recreation of my old friend Jeff's 70 R/T SE 383 Magnum. I built it as near as possible to his 1:1. Items of note: Small SE (only) rear window, Blacked out grille and tail panel, R/T hood with black treatment and open scoops, Side (and rear) stripe delete, BFGs on American Racing wheels (Outlaw I in rear and Outlaw II in front), Pistol grip shifter on 4-speed.

I started with a resin SE body from ebay but it was not that great of a casting detailwise so I only used the roof. My donor kit was an AMT 'Yankee Challenge' with a blower hole in the hood. I had to fill it in and do it smooth enough to paint it gloss black. It actually turned out quite well. The shifter was sourced from a Dodge Super Bee kit I think. The Dodge lettering on the front are individual decals. (what a PITA). The 383 Magnum decals are from an aftermarket sheet.

I am VERY pleased with how it turned out.

70 RT SE LF.jpg

70 RT SE LR.jpg

70 RT SE Rear.jpg

70 RT SE RR.jpg

70 RT SE RF.jpg

70 TR SE Front.jpg

70 RT SE engine A.jpg

JeffsChallenger-vi.jpg

Very good looking Challenger, both your model and the original one. One of the best I've seen. The only thing is missing is the rear view mirror on the driver side door? Oh and the other side too, right? Other than that, excellent job indeed. 

Edited by Reuhkapelti2

5 hours ago, Reuhkapelti2 said:

Very good looking Challenger, both your model and the original one. One of the best I've seen. The only thing is missing is the rear view mirror on the driver side door? Oh and the other side too, right? Other than that, excellent job indeed. 

Missing mirror? That is done on purpose on all my builds. I handle them from time to time and got tired of the little buggers getting lost and leaving glue spots on my doors. So, I simply leave them all off. I have a whole little baggie of virgin mirrors.

22 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

I started with a resin SE body from ebay but it was not that great of a casting detailwise so I only used the roof. 

70 RT SE LF.jpg

I have one of those. I think it's a Jimmy Flintstone. As you say it's a little crude but far from the worst resin body I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure I can work with it. 

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I have one of those. I think it's a Jimmy Flintstone. As you say it's a little crude but far from the worst resin body I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure I can work with it. 

In wish you the best. At the time of the build I had a few 70 Challengers so just using the roof was the path of least resistance.