Model Cars Magazine Forum

Frog/amt mercedes 300sl gullwing

I'm wondering if anyone has built this kit. I believe it was also released by amt in the early 70s, possibly as a prestige kit but different sites differ on that so it may not be correct. I recently won this kit and will be building it but as a kindig inspired version. If anyone has built one it would be cool to see some. I guess some tamiya versions would be cool to compare them to as well. I've never had a frog kit before so i'm looking forward to seeing what their like

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600b.jpg

26 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

I'm wondering if anyone has built this kit. I believe it was also released by amt in the early 70s, possibly as a prestige kit but different sites differ on that so it may not be correct. I recently won this kit and will be building it but as a kindig inspired version. If anyone has built one it would be cool to see some. I guess some tamiya versions would be cool to compare them to as well. I've never had a frog kit before so i'm looking forward to seeing what their like

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600b.jpg

Yes, that is the same as the AMT version . 

It was first released as a trophy serise kit in the mid '60s and has been re-released at least 4  times since.

Very nice, detailed kit.

35 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Yes, that is the same as the AMT version . 

It was first released as a trophy serise kit in the mid '60s and has been re-released at least 4  times since.

Very nice, detailed kit.

So amt got the mold from frog? it's interesting how some of the older kit molds turn up in places you wouldn't expect. I know some of the frog molds went to russia. I've seen the 1/16 vauxhall wagon pop up over there sometimes but its the wrong scale for me

Rare boxing of AMT kit. Frog issued a few AMT kits, including a 68 Galaxie, Mustang, 58 Chevy. 

I've never seen this box. Pretty cool. The regular AMT's are cheap and plentiful, but this kit is started, so value is less. 

I think it's nicer than Tamiya, actually. One of AMT's best.

BTW, it's 1/25 not 1/24

Edited by DukeE
scale

The Matchbox release is the same as the AMT kit; so, it can't be a really bad copy because it was produced from the AMT molds. Ditto with the Frog/AMT version. All are 1/25, not 1/24 scale. Compare the parts from the Frog/AMT kit

image.png.e93d728979fa3a1f2f8d03945b9aa59f.png

and the AMT Trophy Series kit

image.png.21cfe0a43251540ab4fd6d980865c4bf.png

28 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

It seems this kit has been doing the rounds of a few companies.  link

Looks like  2 kits are now being discussed:  The gull-wing hard-top and the convertible are different kits.  Scalemates seems t o have them lumped together.

I have the AMT Trophy Series gull-wing kit, and Testors (Italeri) convertible.  They come f r o m different molds.

Edited by peteski
needed to modify some words to prevent the 404 error

That's a recurring problem with Scalemates timelines. Similar, but unrelated, kits are listed together. Unless one is familiar with the production history of a particular kit, it's easy to be misled into believing that all of the versions are identical and from the same molds. Why the Tamiya 300 SL is included in the Frog/AMT timeline is perplexing, at the very least.

I haven't built the kit but fully intend to.  I have the original Trophy Series release as well as the Polizei box art release.  It is an excellent kit IMHO.  

Several of the AMT USRRC cars were also released under the Frog label.

Image result for frog mclaren model kitImage result for frog mclaren model kitRelated image

Cool thread. 

The Scalemates AMT thread omitted the Frog completely, yet it got lumped in with the Hubley blobular roadster/ht. Hubley was 1/24, but more like 1/23.

The same post lumped in the Italeri roadster and gullwing, Heller gullwing. None of which are great, though the Italeri 300 roadster is adequate, 1/24. 

Glad to see this AMT kit get some love, pretty great kit engineering. Nice builds. 

And now, I have to chase a Frog Chaparral 2B.