Model Cars Magazine Forum

1977 Pontiac Firebird T/A S.E.

echoxrayniner

I needed to test this decal set out as I was kind of worried that the twin-stripes were too thin for the printer to do clearly, as well as try see if they actually fit. I also wanted to give this Trans Am kit another go cause in-box, it ain't a Trans Am... no call-outs, no markings so way back(my first forum post in fact), I did a regular Firebird 400 of it in red. So I tried some more home-made little tricks like trying to use ribbon as seat-belts, make seat-belt arms, plumb the entire engine including the A/C unit and so on. So I used some basic Tamiya black and the ever so wonderful Vallejo golds, a whole lot of clear, about 5 hours of stripe work and topped it off with very era appropriate ProTrac R/P Radial tires that were proudly advertised with a half-naked lady leaning against a '78 Firebird back then.

The only gripe I got about this kit is the tires being waaaay too thin, this car needed some wide-as-sin rubber, not these small radials. But alas, I will say though - more screw bottom chassis', this thing feels sturdy. Also I screwed up the tail, the stripe shouldn't be on the wing but around the tail-light, but oh well.

77transamse_2019-17.jpg

77transamse_2019-19.jpg

77transamse_2019-6.jpg

77transamse_2019-12.jpg

77transamse_2019-24.jpg

77transamse_2019-2.jpg

77transamse_2019-27.jpg

77transamse_2019-30.jpg

77transamse_2019-31.jpg

NJ, First, nice T/A. The decals look good.

Second, I went and looked at that red one on your site ,, it definitly is still a Trans Am. 

My '85 was repainted when I got it and didn't have any of it's decals but that didn't mean it wasn't a "real Trans Am"

The Trans Am package is more than just the decals.  The flares and shaker hood are also a very big part of it and IIRC, you had the option to delete the decals when you bought the car. In fact, the big hood decal was always an added on option, at over $200!  They even have unique serial numbers that separate them from base Firebirds and Formulas.

You could get the engine and suspension under a Formula but the hood was different [except for a few '74/'75 SD455s] and they didn't have the wheel spats and vents on the front fenders. 

Here's a link to a site that will cover the basics.

https://tran-zam.com/index.html

Once upon a time i stripped and scrapped a 1976 Trans Am Special Edition. There were many changes from 1976 to 1977, though.

For future reference you may choose to remember that the shaker callout for the 1977 Pontiac 400 V-8 was T/A 6.6 whereas the sorry 403 Olds V-8 got 6.6 Litre markings.

For people who loved Pontiac Motor Division and their products, this is an important distinction.

Edited by Slick Shifter

• 3 months later...
On 12/10/2019 at 2:04 PM, Slick Shifter said:

Once upon a time i stripped and scrapped a 1976 Trans Am Special Edition. There were many changes from 1976 to 1977, though.

For future reference you may choose to remember that the shaker callout for the 1977 Pontiac 400 V-8 was T/A 6.6 whereas the sorry 403 Olds V-8 got 6.6 Litre markings.

Man, that S/E that you stripped would've been worth a mint today! Even in poor condition. 

Actually,  in 78, the T/A 6.6 was for the W72 code 400 with the 4 speed ONLY. 220hp which was as hot as it got in 78.

The 6.6 Litre was for the W78 code 400 with automatic  (180 hp) or the 403 Olds/automatic (200 hp).

The final eight thousand or so Pontiac 400s in 78 and 79 were only available with 4 Speeds. And many of those were stockpiled for use in the 10th anniversary Trans Am Special Editions.