Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Stands

1 hour ago, Bainford said:

I still use my tried and true coat hanger. I tried many different methods of holding the body over the years, but found it was the coat hanger that worked the best for me. It is easy to handle the body when painting, ensuring good paint coverage in  the difficult, hidden areas that are hard to access.

That's part of the reason why I generally use a hanger rather than a can.

It's much easier to get to areas on the inside of the body that might require paint.

Steve

I still generally use a coat hanger myself. It's not as importantnow that we increasingly are using lacquers, but drying upside-down does keep dust and other crud out of the paint. Problem is that I don't dry clean much and subscribe to the Joan Crawford "NO WIRE HANGERS" mantra for clothes. I am running out of wire hangers. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Tamiya paint stands and like them a lot, but I use them for holding the body in place when doing decals or other body work. I use the other stand to help me hold parts when I painting with the brush or glueing parts. For spray  painting I find myself still using the clothes hangers.  To tell you the truth I really don’t like the idea of messing up the Tamiya paint stand with paint, that doesn’t sound right, I like it as a parts holder too much. 

Edited by wilson

On 12/11/2019 at 9:41 PM, High octane said:

I've been using this paint stand by the Shabo company that used to make tire lettering decals and it works great.

image.png.010b946c7812aa745a5e51de72eae032.png

I have this same stand.  Works fine for bodies. Some times I'll tape a part across the top.

image.png.fe7de1e79614b9fd4bbf69ac2e6e5bf4.png

For small parts, I try to mount everything on either toothpicks or straight pins. I will drill a small hole where it won't be seen if needed.

I'll either stick those into styrofoam or my favorite is these small bathroom cups. I can spray the parts and even leave them on there until I'm ready to use so I don't lose things!   For weight, stack a few of the used cups together.  I'll also tape larger parts to the top of one of the cups.

On 12/11/2019 at 3:23 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I have been using this exact same coat hanger for at least 10 years now.

You can tell by the paint build up! :P

Personally, I've never seen the need for anything else.

image.thumb.jpeg.92c4b3193d2a537f6b8e5bab047aad1c.jpeg

Steve

Yep. A little ingenuity can go a long way, and save you some money. Especially when our hobby prices are high these days. 

On 12/10/2019 at 8:44 PM, Madd Trucker said:

I  took  the  plunge and  went to  Hobby  Town  and  bought  two  will see  how  the   work thanks  for all of  the  replys

Don't forget that they are 2 piece and not secured in the middle The top might come off when flipped over. Been there, with the Tamiya stand and a coat hanger. 

5 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Don't forget that they are 2 piece and not secured in the middle The top might come off when flipped over. Been there, with the Tamiya stand and a coat hanger. 

That is one of the main issues I have with the Tamiya paint stand, I have buggered up a few paint jobs because I picked it up to paint along the rocker panels and forget about the two piece.  Rushing and painting do not mix.

7 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

I’m glad that when my top came off, it happened before I did any painting. I can see any reason why they would make the stand in two parts? 
A bit of duct tape provided the fix. 

Edited by Brutalform

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2019 at 3:23 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I have been using this exact same coat hanger for at least 10 years now.

You can tell by the paint build up! :P

Personally, I've never seen the need for anything else.

image.thumb.jpeg.92c4b3193d2a537f6b8e5bab047aad1c.jpeg

Steve

That's the same exact setup that I use. I keep two around like that. Real cheap and easy to replace.

On 12/23/2019 at 6:27 AM, Gramps46 said:

These work fine for me but then I am old school.   The coat hangers are infinitely adjustable but the wooden clothes pins might be hard to find any more, just like the glass baby food jars.?

20191223_091659.jpg.e4e75e7a16b5e19afc6ed9b73a19a5b4.jpg

If you are looking for wooden clothes pins, Target still sells them.  They come in a pack of 50 for $1.79.

On 12/12/2019 at 3:08 AM, Khils said:

I used to use the exact same configuration for years Steve.....till I lost a fresh painted body to gravity.....built this & never had anything move...the tips are sharpened to grip inside the body....rotates ,inverts & docks easily

1211192100.jpg

1211192102.jpg

This is simple, and genius! I think I'm going to make one too.

On 12/10/2019 at 6:13 PM, martinfan5 said:

Tamiya paint stands , worth every penny, the box comes with one stand for bodies and one stand for parts, great deal.

I use both Tamiya paint stands(4) and empty paint cans with tape on top, I prefer to use Tamiya's primer cans, being a little taller I find it easier to handle.

Don’t the Tamiya pop off if you try to carry or move them??