Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Stands

Hi!

I moved away from any plastic type of containers/stands, because under certain weather conditions or humidity ratio, they will conduct electricity, and static then pulls-in all the dust floating around. 

Wine bottles (glass) with long necks and twist caps (not cork) are ideal: a looped piece of duct tape holds the undersdide of bodies/parts solidly, the glass creates no static charge due to air friction against the styrene body (even when using Tamya's lacquers), and their weight makes them very stable. 

I usually store the bottles and painted parts under a wooden shelf during drying time. The long bottles put the bodies just under the shelf, which means virtually no dust will settle on the wet paint during curing time. 

Good luck with your projects!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/10/2019 at 2:17 PM, deuces wild said:

An empty paint can will work with a piece of looped masking tape on the cap....

Cheap and easy.... ?

I cut the top of the can (just below where the nozzle goes) and filled it with sand for weight.

Ah, the Nitrile rubber glove stand - very handy!  :D

What was the reason for posting the same photo 9 times Ace?  And then slusher quoting that photo nine more times, just to praise your stand?  What's wrong with this world?  You guys must really like to scroll a lot.

Edited by peteski

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Infinitely adjustable and fully automatic with its own programmable microprocessor...self cleaning too:

Just like mine but it's attached to a 76 year old fixture. It's seen it's better days. ?

4 hours ago, peteski said:

Ah, the Nitrile rubber glove stand - very handy!  :D

What was the reason for posting the same photo 9 times Ace?  And then slusher quoting that photo nine more times, just to praise your stand?  What's wrong with this world?  You guys must really like to scroll a lot.

Peter, I did not know there was that many util after I quoted it. I should have took them out but one. Sometimes we all have to scroll past the same post many times. Just over looked it ...

Edited by slusher

1 minute ago, slusher said:

Peter, I did not know there was that many util after I quoted it. I should have took them out but one. Sometimes we all have to scroll past the same post many times. Just over looked it ...

I believe you can still edit them out. I just took out the extra originals.

I’ve had things like this happen on Facebook... tried to post a response, hit Respond key, nothing happened.  Tried it s couple more times.. nothing!  So I give up.

I go back on Facebook a few hours later to see I’ve responded like six times.. and at that point when I try to delete the extras it won’t let me!  Strange

• 4 weeks later...

Hobby Lobby sells the Tamiya stands, around $20-24. Use the 40% off coupon and you get a really nice paint stand with accessories. I also use old paint cans and wooden fixtures depending on what I am painting. And in a variation of Ace's idea, I have glued a wooden paint stick from Home Depot (thicker than regular ones) to a latex glove.