Model Cars Magazine Forum

tamiya handy drill

bauercrew

Not sure if this in right section so please move if not,,,,,,,,,well I spent a week using the Tamiya handy drill,,love it ,don't know why I didn't get one sooner,had to buy the dremmel collet set to use the smaller bits but they weren't expensive,didnt have any problems breaking the smaller bits,seems to be the perfect speed for drilling into styrene ,don't get me wrong its not perfect,,,but it beats using the pin vise  ,,assembly was a BREEZE, I use it mainly for spark plug wires ,and pinning things ,in fact I plan on ordering another for spare after the holidays,,,no I don't work for anyone who sells them ,this was just my own observation ?,so if your on the fence about getting one ,go for it!

I have an older exacto brand battery power drill. I've never seen another one! 

Having a power drill is the way to go. I cannot imagine doing it all with a pin vise. I drill a lot of things in my building.  

image.png.74b2dce8782ac23fc443348161a786d3.png

Even with the smaller collet, the smallest bits are difficult to hold.  I have glued them into short lengths of Detail Master heater hose, which is hollow. That solved the problem!

This drill is a serious tool for making holes. 

But you don't need a bunch of drill bits to make holes.  In fact if you need a very accurate sized hole to fit a certain size of pin or wire you can make a very simple hole poking bit.  The design of the bit has the added benefit of being able to place the hole accurately by virtue of it's sharp tip. With it you can "feel" a scribed guideline.  The point sharpness also makes it easier to poke a hole that is not perpendicular to the surface. The bit will produce a push fit through hole in wood or plastic, but can be easily "adjusted" to produce a controlled looser fit.

The speed of the Tamiya makes this possible. Grind to shape shown.

Technically it will be something like the pics.  Actually you can eyeball it fairly easily and be off a couple degrees.  Example photo is .028" diameter straight pins through a plastic tube using a same size straight pin as the bit.

part1 3.jpg

part1.jpg

part1 2.jpg

20191214_231413.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the idea, Paul - I did some more looking and found this:

660350176_BeadsmithMicroEngraverMiniChuckAdapter.jpg.695a4687b7a1fcd7c91b78d39287c36e.jpg

I got the Micro Engraver for $10.20 at Michaels with the 40% coupon; the adapter's 2.35mm shaft should fit the 3/32" set-screw collet in the tool. Run it on only one battery and it'll take the speed down enough to drill a distributor.

On 1/26/2020 at 10:35 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Thanks for the idea, Paul - I did some more looking and found this:

I got the Micro Engraver for $10.20 at Michaels with the 40% coupon; the adapter's 2.35mm shaft should fit the 3/32" set-screw collet in the tool. Run it on only one battery and it'll take the speed down enough to drill a distributor.

That’s a cool little tool!  Added to my “things to look at next time I’m at Michael’s” list!