Model Cars Magazine Forum

Your LAST Modelhaus order

Bill Geary (Mr. Obsessive) had a suggestion to start a thread asking "What did you get in your LAST Modelhaus order..?"  It seemed like a good idea to me, so I'll start this off...

My last order with Modelhaus was as follows;   1 1950 Nash kit,  1 1957 Desoto kit,  1 1957 Lincoln kit,  1 1959 Oldsmobile kit,  1 1956 Plymouth interior (to use in a 1955 Plymouth promo).

I placed the order about a year before it was finally shipped, so I had plenty of time to squirrel away the $$$ to pay for it.

For a couple of years prior to that, I had the foresight to order some things that I knew that I would be needing to stock up for future projects, such as;   2 sets of 1959 Dodge chromed taillight bezels,  4 1959 Dodge interiors (several of which will be used in 1955, 1958 & 1959 Desoto promos),  4 sets of chromed exterior mirrors (round & square),  2 pkgs. of assorted interior mirrors (unchromed - will use Molotow on them),  1 1951 Ford conversion set,  1 1952 Chevy conversion set.

Other Modelhaus kits that I've gotten over the years as my budget permitted were;  1950 Cadillac,  1956 Cadillac,  1956 Mercury,  1957 Dodge,  1958 Buick,  1958 Ford,  1958 Lincoln,  1958 Mercury,  1958 Oldsmobile.

The only things I regret not ordering were the several Nash Metropolitan kits for the 1950's years, but finances just didn't allow it.

It should be interesting to see what goodies were received by fellow modelers before Modelhaus shut their doors.

I had two orders- the first one was when they announced their retirement and I ordered a Dodge Crew Cab pickup and their Shasta camping trailer kit.  Later, after every previous order was shipped and they had some surplus product left, I ordered some grilles, bumpers and wheels for various vehicles that I knew I would use (lt. trucks and GM cars).

I also recently placed an order with Norm at RMCoM for some stuff in his catalog. I fear he will decide to retire one day soon and I wanted to get stuff before he did as he might not want to work for two additional years like Don and Carol did after he announces his retirement.

Last order I made was small. A few sets of tail lights and a few different sets of promo style hubcaps for some late 50s annuals I have .

I did manage to meet up with a gentleman in Phoenix this past spring ( Sorry,,,dont remember the mans name ) and he had a decent assortment of Modelhaus stuff. spent maybe $100 with him , mostly replacement Johan bumpers and grilles.  I bought every grille and front bumper he had for the Johan 1970 Roadrunner and GTX kits

Edited by gtx6970

Just now, gtx6970 said:

I bought every grille and front bumper he had for the Johan 1970 Roadrunner and GTX kits

Oh- YOU'RE that guy, huh? ;)

Actually, I bought quite a few '72 Road Runner grilles, bumpers, valences & taillights the last time around. & I got a '64 Custom Sports Special, which I'm really happy about.

My last order was the '56 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer kit.

I sit sometimes and wish that I would have ordered more kits from Modelhaus.

But then it occurred to me that I have bought several kits from Modelhaus over the past 25 years, and have not built a single one of them.

It's probably best that I didn't spend another $1,000.00 on stuff that I will probably never finish.

I mostly miss them for the occasional hard to find vintage replacement part, and the items that I ordered from them more than any other thing are still available..........the tires! ;)

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Don't even remember what-all I ordered. And you probably won't believe this, but I haven't opened the box yet! :blink: Someday I'll NEED something in it, and I'll have a Christmas in the middle of the year. 

I do remember ordering a '68 Coronet kit, several '67 Camaro RS grilles (and a couple hoods), rear bumper for '63 Riviera, Javelin spoilers and several other '69-'70 Javelin parts, one or two '65 GTO headlights/bumpers, and a bunch of random stuff for '66 Skylarks and AMT '63-'67 Corvettes (which I have several of to restore). 

On "final final sale day," I scored a '66 Impala rear bumper. Later on I scored an otherwise nice promo that was missing only a rear bumper. I hope to have that one restored by the end of the year. 

At the end, I realized that there wasn't time to take inventory of all my restorables to order parts from Modelhaus.  So I decided just to get a few of their complete kits. The list started out long, and I finally culled it down to:

1957 Plymouth wagon

1962 Chrysler wagon

1965 Chevy wagon

And no, I haven't done a darn thing with them yet! 

I'm afraid I went overboard! 1957 Plymouth wagon, '57 DeSoto wagon, '60 Dodge wagon & hardtop, '61 Dodge Polara ht, '64 Dodge crew cab & 2 more trucks, '61 Imperial, '55 Metropolitan, Shasta & teardrop trailers, '59 Buick, '59 Chevy wagon, '61 Ford Starliner body & misc parts to restore a '61 Ford wagon promo. I have restored the Ford promo, haven't gotten to the rest. I too have the '49 Buick & Caddy as well as a '56 Dodge conv. Years ago I started a '61 Dodge wagon & wished I had gotten another as I want change it from a Polara to a Sennaca & can't bring myself to remove the "Polara" from the fenders & the other necessary modifications. IMG_1877.thumb.JPG.35143275c124aae2235aa96af082b850.JPG

I had to think about this for a bit as most of what I have in models and kits are packed away in boxes and it can be a chore to dig through and see what's what. IIRC, when Don and Carol were taking orders for the last week of their site, I ordered their '76 Cadillac Coupe DeVille kit and a '70 AMX hood. I do believe it might have been the very last day the site was open that I ordered those.

Later on when they had their "last call" of things that were left over, much to my surprise they had '64 Falcon taillights........something that I had wanted before their site closed, but got swiped out of them when the ordering page went wonky. So that was pretty much the last thing. MUCH needed and wanted taillights and looking back I wish I could have gotten a few more things in mind, but passed over them. :( 

On 12/11/2019 at 5:23 PM, CapSat 6 said:

Oh- YOU'RE that guy, huh? ;)

Actually, I bought quite a few '72 Road Runner grilles, bumpers, valences & taillights the last time around. & I got a '64 Custom Sports Special, which I'm really happy about.

Yeah, gtx6970 (Bill) beat me out on some parts when Modelhaus announced their last call. I wound up with just a ?front bumper for a ‘61 Pontiac bonneville, and a set of chrome taillight bezels for a ‘67 Ford. No immediate for the parts, but they’ll come in handy later.

prior to that, I purchased the resin ‘76 Caddy coupe deVille and some misc chromed parts.

like everyone else, I wished I had the finances to buy a lot more!

9 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Same here Bill,  That final "last call" of left over parts had severe technical difficulties!   I  pretty much set up an order of a lot of Valiant kit parts, and couldn't get it to process!  

Yah, that was a real mess. If there was ANYTHING on your list that was now out of stock (and stock was decreasing by the minute), it refused to process the whole order, and it wouldn't tell you what the problem was! You had to start all over and try to guess what was now gone. I had to go through it two or three times before I finally got an order to take. 

And when it came, it had an error--I ordered '66 Vette stock wheels and they sent '65s. I didn't bother to complain at that point; they had enough problems going on. I ended up using them to "sweeten the deal" on a swap I did with Gramps46, so it all worked out. 

I too never got around to putting together a "master list" of "needs", nor did I get an order in after the initial retirement announcement.  But I did think of a few things when the "last call" was announced last year.  Of the things I did want, I only got two, one being a Jo-Han '72 442 rear bumper.  I had a complete kit, but the place that replated the original bumper flubbed it, so I bought another one. 

I am glad to share this too .

AMC 

Modelhaus order , June , 2016

#1   AMC 

'61 Rambler Classic SW 
      Tllts           Clear Red                         
      f B/Grl                                           
      r B    *

*I needed 1960 Parts  , not '61 

'64 American 
      Lower Grille                                      

'68 Javelin Tllt  Red Clear                          
   '69 Javelin Tllt  Red Clear                          

'67 AMC Ambassdor Grille   *                         
   '67 "  ""     """ F b                               
   '67 "  """    """ R b / tlb   

*I forgot the Hood Emblem                       

'70 AMC AMX   F b / Grl                             
    '70 ""  ""    R b tlb                               
    '70 ""  ""    Grille insert                         

'74 AMC Javelin & Javelin AMX  R b         

#3  FoMoCo   Modelhaus June 2016 Parts Request

'51 Ford
         Windsplits                                       
         Tllts   Red Clear                                 

'54/'55 Ford Str Whl   (2 @ 2.00)                     

'57 T-Bird 
       Str Whl                                             
       Headlights - Promo                                 

'58 T-Bird 
        F b / Hd lts                                      
        R b Grl                                           
        Fender Ornmts   (large 1960 Version)               
        Promo Wheels    *

*Forgot to request Dash , Promo is too narrow . 

'63 Ford Fairlane  Str Whl                             

'65 Ford Fairlane Full Wheel Covers                    

'69 T-Bird
       Promo Wheels                                       
       Tllts   Red Clear                                  
       R b                                                
       F b / Grl                                           
       F Valance                                          
       R Valance                                          

'71 T-Bird 
       Tlts  red Clear                                    
       F b / Grl                                           

'60 Lincoln Continental 
        Glass                                              
        F b / Grll                                        
        R b / Grll                                         
        Full Wheel Covers                                  

'63 Lincoln Continental 
         Hood Ornmt                                            '61  Mercury Comet 
          Fender Ornmt                                     
          Promo Wheels                                     
          T-255 , 13" Soft Resin Wide WHite Tires         

'62  Mercury Comet 
          Fender Ornmt         

#4  GM  Modelhaus June 2016 Parts Request 

Cadillac   '77 - '79 
     Promo Wheels                                            

'66 Buick Special
      Tlts                                                    
      Str Whl                                                

'60 Chevrolet Corvair *
       F b                                                    
       R b                                                  
       F Valance                                             
       R Valance                                              

'64  Corvair *
           Body                                               
           Glass             

*To bash a '60 Coupe . Yes I cut up resin . 

'65 Chevy II         
           R b                                                

Pick Ups Chevrolet 
       '61
         R tllts   Chrome                                      
         Hub Caps ; Full Whl Covwers                          
         Grl / Hdlts                                          
         F TS / Parking Lights     (in Hood)                   
         Hood                                                  
         Glass                                                 

'63  
          Tllts   Chrome                                        
          Hood                                                  
          Glass                                                 
          F TS / Parking Lts      (in Hood)                     
          Grille / Hdlts                                       
          Cab Side Emblems                                      
          F b                                                   
          Hub Caps/ Full Wheel Covers                           
          Dashboard                                            

#2   MoPar    Modelhause June  2016 Parts Request 

'64 Dodge Polara 
       Center Counsels     (3 @ 2.50) , total                

'64 Plymouth Fury 
       Center Councel                                         

'69 Plymouth Road Runner Conversion (A-12?)              

Somehow the order was fouled up . The Holthauses contacted me to fill the order . I was thrilled to receive everything I ordered . I did loose my place in line due to my Screw up . I appreciate the extra Effort and patience they extended me . As well the parts .

Thank you is just not enough