Model Cars Magazine Forum

Christmas Tree Truck

Shhhh...this is for my daughter and her family for Christmas, no body blow it. Their last name is Montree so I came up with this idea of building them a truck with a Christmas tree in the bed after seeing a loose rendering on some wrapping paper. The truck needs a bit more weathering before a coat of clear flat. Once done, I plan on giving the whole thing a dusting of snow. A ways to go but I think you'll get the idea from the pictures.

Stay tuned. This will need to built in the next week or so.

DecalInPlace.jpg

WreathOnGrille.jpg

MockUp1.jpg

Edited by gasser59

On 12/16/2019 at 12:21 PM, Tom Geiger said:

It's coming out great!   Remember, it doesn't have to be show quality to be a family gift!   

Thanks so much Tom. I'm such a perfectionist, it matters to me. I'm hoping she'll have this for many years and is proud to display every Christmas season.

On 12/16/2019 at 12:29 PM, ewetwo said:

This looks great Brad. And so does your's Tom.

Thanks so much David. All that's left is the snow.

On 12/16/2019 at 12:31 PM, espo said:

The finish looks perfect. I can't remember any vehicle painted red at that time that didn't oxidize just like this. 

I'm happy with the finish but might add it bit more dirtying up before applying the snow. Thanks David.

Edited by gasser59

If I had to do it over, I would have made side windows, the kit didn't come with any and I didn't think it would be a big deal. Once the snow was added, now it is a big deal. I would also have cut out a windshield wiper pattern of masking tape for the window and removed after the snow. I would also have added a few foot prints on the driver's side running board. Next time.

Edited by gasser59

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I forgot to add everyone's response to this gift and how it is boxed up since you really can't pick it up by the cab for fear of knocking the snow off. Everyone loved it and had lots of questions. My daughter and son-in-law Dave gave me a hug and thanked me profusely. Dave took pictures of it and sent to his parents since they of course have the same last name.

I built a cradle for the truck and found the appropriate sized box with a drop down lid. The truck is lifted and positioned with the cradle, then slid out from underneath when in the right display spot. This should last for years.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Edited by gasser59