Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Rally Sport 454 Camaro

Bills72sj

This is a model of a car I thought a lot about of years ago. It was what I dreamt of giving my daughter if I had one. (I didn’t. I have 3 boys)

Anyway, The kit was AMT’s 70 ½ Baldwin-Motion Camaro. I loved the L-88 style hood and spoilers but didn’t like the graphics. To replace them, I had Keith Marks make me up a set of metallic magenta SS stripes. A few of them got rubbed through in the mail so he kindly made me two more sets (for free no less!) As it turned out I’m glad I had all the spares. I had a hell of a time laying them on the curvaceous hood bulge. I ended up using 8-10 pieces to get it fairly decent. The rear stripes were just as bad. It took 5 stripes to get two right.

I am really pleased how all the lights turned out especially the front turn signals. I BMF’d the buckets, then yellow Sharpie’d the clear lenses. I knew they would be too yellow, so I orange markered the BMF inside the buckets. That gave me that amber color I was shooting for. I then silver dotted the nipples. The headlight buckets were also BMF’d then, I blue dotted the lenses before gluing them in with Testor’s clear window maker.

The interior was a challenge. Most all of my model’s interiors, are basic black. This time I wanted to try something different. I thought gray would be good but by itself it was too plain. I started painting the inserts with metallic burgundy but it wasn’t covering very well. I stopped and painted a silver base coat then applied the burgundy. I used a red Ultra-fine point Sharpie to draw the piping. The dash and package tray in gray still did not look right, so I changed them to semi gloss black. I also did the console and the armrests to tie it all together. As much as I dread doing interiors, at least it turned out halfway decent. I was going to put gauge water slide decals on, but after the 3 hour ordeal with the hood, I just wasn’t up for it. At least the glove box got a “Camaro” script.

70 RS LF 4.jpg

70 RS LR.jpg

70 RS eng.jpg

Front detail in progress.jpg

Interior RF.jpg

Interior LR.jpg

70 RS RR 4.jpg

70 RS RF fender.jpg

Beautiful looking finish on this build. I wouldn't have thought of the Magenta colored stripes but they sure look good here. The extra effort on the interior also adds a great deal to the appearance. The contrasting colors on the seats and dash is something GM should have offered. 

1 hour ago, Peter Lombardo said:

Looks great..... I owned a 1973 350 RS, wish I hadn't sold it.  They are such a great looking design.  Love the white with red trim.  Well done.  If this one hits a speed bump, the exhaust is toast. 

You are correct. Trailer loading may be an issue too.