Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tweaking Tamiyas Countach

Dann Tier

Hey, everyone!, its me again. I've decided that i will be posting WIPs on more of my started projects...hopefully it will motivate me to finally finish them. Who knows, it may even help someone whose working on one now.

My objective for this kit was to just make it look a bit more realistic without having to spend too much extra money. Its actually a pretty decent representation of the actual car, and despite the kits age, it fits together well...is fun to build, and looks great when done! There are a few body style changes i made already.....basically an easier, fun build. Dont know how these photos got all mixed up, but here we go...

-Photo 1, 5-7;  I'm not sure how many people re-scribe every seam the same, but not all seams should be the same depth. For instance; the arrows are pointing to lines that should be shallow, since they are only body panels that dont open. Things like doors...bonnets...and boots need to be scribed deeper to show a deeper shadow insinuating space.

-Photo 2; The kit

-Photo 3&4; These photos show my kolor choices for this build.

-Photo 8; Since i never intended to show the engine, i glued the hood shut, and needed to use styrene for extra contact.

-Photo 9; The Headlamp housings dont have enough contact to be level in the closed position -in the up position they work fine. Since i wanted them down, i cut the box away, added sheet styrene to the under side , then reattached the covers centered in the openings.

-Photo 10; I glued together the two-part vent boxes, sanded off the molded in front license plate, and began to SB end caps on the wing. Since i didnt like the mirrors that came with the kit, i took some spare ones from an Aoshima Countach kit.

-Photo 11; I glued in the exhaust pipes, and used styrene to fill in the unrealistic openings above them.

-Photo 12; Here i filled in the remote control switch, and since i wanted to use a newer version wheel from an Aoshima kit, i had to styrene rods that will fit into the backs of the wheels.

-Photo 13; Here are the interior bits i am starting with.

DSCF9119.JPG

images (1).jpg

download.jpg

images.jpg

DSCF9121.JPG

DSCF9122.JPG

DSCF9123.JPG

DSCF9124.JPG

DSCF9125.JPG

DSCF9126.JPG

DSCF9127.JPG

DSCF9128.JPG

DSCF9129.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

Oh man, that's one I finished WAY BEFORE you have (last century). ?  From the motorized era, think it's one of the first car kits from Tamiya.  I corrected the louvers on the deck, added screen on the other vent holes.  Driver window removed like it's rolled down.  Little spoiler on the wiper, gotta have that!  The headlights are moveable too, that's super important. ?  The Lambo S-tank is another story.

2238186634_7406d04372_b.jpg

9 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Oh man, that's one I finished WAY BEFORE you have (last century). ?  From the motorized era, think it's one of the first car kits from Tamiya.  I corrected the louvers on the deck, added screen on the other vent holes.  Driver window removed like it's rolled down.  Little spoiler on the wiper, gotta have that!  The headlights are moveable too, that's super important. ?  The Lambo S-tank is another story.

2238186634_7406d04372_b.jpg

Nice looking Countach there, bud!!.....you didnt remove that window entirely, did you?....because even that lower half only rolls down half way!

I know I am supposed to be in awestruck wonder whenever I see or hear Countach, but dang, I think that may one of the ugliest cars ever. 

BUT... I do enjoy a good build and Dann has never let me down.   Kinda like binge watching a tv series that isn't finshed yet.   You get to the end of the latest season and can't wait to see what happens on the other side of the cliffhanger.   And I always learn something from Dann.

Great point on varying the panel lines depending on how they are part of the body.  

On 12/12/2019 at 10:12 AM, randyc said:

I know I am supposed to be in awestruck wonder whenever I see or hear Countach, but dang, I think that may one of the ugliest cars ever. 

BUT... I do enjoy a good build and Dann has never let me down.   Kinda like binge watching a tv series that isn't finshed yet.   You get to the end of the latest season and can't wait to see what happens on the other side of the cliffhanger.   And I always learn something from Dann.

Great point on varying the panel lines depending on how they are part of the body.  

Thanks alot, bud!, i love helping/sharing helpful things....never been one to hide things that could help people. Thank you for the intrest, and the following....i will try not to disappoint, lol

9 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Dann...another veiw of the Lamborghini shelf.  This time the Countach's.  The Tamiya kit is in there somewhere. I did it when it first came out.  Its kinda cool having the same model in 4 different scales.

DSC06802.JPG

They look AWESOME, bud!!!!...is that a Ggoldstrand Corvette above them?!

6 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

They look AWESOME, bud!!!!...is that a Ggoldstrand Corvette above them?!

It sure is...you have a keen eye despite the glare. There is an entire shelf dedicated to Vettes above the Lambos (about 50 of em although I have more on another shelf) and below is the Mustang shelf (also about 50+) I believe the first Lambo in line is the Tamiya. The rest are 1/20, 1/16, 1/12

I have this kit in a box. I built it back in the 80s when I was in junior high, and it's one of the few that survived. A couple of years ago, I disassembled it with the intent to rebuild it, and improve on it. I hardly painted it, didn't sand much, basically hacked it together. I can do better now. I need to get on that.

WP_20160214_002.jpg.56d7da380073ffd794184e7398daa228.jpg

5 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

It sure is...you have a keen eye despite the glare. There is an entire shelf dedicated to Vettes above the Lambos (about 50 of em although I have more on another shelf) and below is the Mustang shelf (also about 50+) I believe the first Lambo in line is the Tamiya. The rest are 1/20, 1/16, 1/12

You've got a Great collection there, bud!!.......how did you like that Guldstrand kit?

5 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I have this kit in a box. I built it back in the 80s when I was in junior high, and it's one of the few that survived. A couple of years ago, I disassembled it with the intent to rebuild it, and improve on it. I hardly painted it, didn't sand much, basically hacked it together. I can do better now. I need to get on that.

WP_20160214_002.jpg.56d7da380073ffd794184e7398daa228.jpg

NICE!! It still is a really nice kit.....apart from the HORRIBLy weak door seams on the sides. I think it would be great to see you finish this!!....i'll follow!!!

16 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

You've got a Great collection there, bud!!.......how did you like that Guldstrand kit?

Had to go into the archives for this. I have detailed build notes on most of my current builds.... this one included. The Guldstrand is an AMT kit I completed 5/10/04.  Colour is Tamiya X-23 clear blue over and light pearlescent blue. The stripe was a special mix pearl white.  All the vents were cut out and screens added, wheels steer on mine (pet peeve) and the hood is removable.  It was a decent kit  and other than those mods it was built box stock. It had the usual fit problems most domestic kits have. I also have the Monogram Callaway Corvette speedster in the collection.

3 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Had to go into the archives for this. I have detailed build notes on most of my current builds.... this one included. The Guldstrand is an AMT kit I completed 5/10/04.  Colour is Tamiya X-23 clear blue over and light pearlescent blue. The stripe was a special mix pearl white.  All the vents were cut out and screens added, wheels steer on mine (pet peeve) and the hood is removable.  It was a decent kit  and other than those mods it was built box stock. It had the usual fit problems most domestic kits have. I also have the Monogram Callaway Corvette speedster in the collection.

Thanks, bud!!....i'm always toying with whether or not to get one.....any photos?!!

19 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Thanks, bud!!....i'm always toying with whether or not to get one.....any photos?!!

Here they are:  in retrospect I probably should have paid more attention to the hood fit. Magnets might have been the answer. I used the box art for the paint scheme but disliked the nose treatment. The stripe is painted but the thin stripe is vinyl tape cut down.  As long as I was digging these out I might as well show you the Callaway too. My Corvettes  are usually a paint exercise and this one is a pearlescent yellow green. Interior is green to match.  No notes on the Callaway. 

DSC06805.JPG

DSC06806.JPG

DSC06807.JPG

4 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Here they are:  in retrospect I probably should have paid more attention to the hood fit. Magnets might have been the answer. I used the box art for the paint scheme but disliked the nose treatment. The stripe is painted but the thin stripe is vinyl tape cut down.  As long as I was digging these out I might as well show you the Callaway too. My Corvettes  are usually a paint exercise and this one is a pearlescent yellow green. Interior is green to match.  No notes on the Callaway. 

DSC06805.JPG

DSC06806.JPG

DSC06807.JPG

NICE builds, bud!!!.....i'm definitely gonna have to find a Guldstrand!!!