Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tweaking Tamiyas Countach

Dann Tier

A bit of an update here...Time to start tweaking the interior. The arrows point to seams that need to be filled, and the circles with X's shows the MANY ejection pin marks that need filling. Another bit that most people miss, or dont really care about is the fact that the dash top has a seam that splits it length-wise(pencil line shows this).

DSCF9166.JPG

DSCF9168.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Got quite a bit done recently.....so close to this one being painted as well!!

-Photo 1&2; Making more realistic looking seats...Standard kit parts on the left, and my rounded, more padded looking ones on the right.

-Photo 3&4; Heres a little tip to add more realism without working at it; instead of getting rid of all the sink marks on seats, leave them if they arent too bad. Anybody whose really looked at seats, knows that the coverings OFTEN sink-in like this in the spots that i've circled here.

-Photo 5-7; Time to make the dash more realistic...filling, rounding, and adding seams, really brings this dash to life.

-Photo 8; After filling all the ejector pin marks, and properly rounding things, its now time to scribe-in stitching seams in the leather -pencil lines denote where...

-Photo 9; Since there wasnt enough detail to show that a door was there, i made a door card stencil so that i could remedy that short coming. The X over the interior light means that i will make a better one, and put it in its proper location.

DSCF9239.JPG

DSCF9240.JPG

DSCF9241.JPG

DSCF9242.JPG

DSCF9244.JPG

DSCF9245.JPG

DSCF9246.JPG

DSCF9251.JPG

DSCF9247.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

• 1 month later...

Hey, everyone! Like the others, this will be started up again in a day or so. Apart from separating the individual interior panels, i wanted to try to etch a stitching look, but the way i was trying was just horrible, so i aborted that idea....may try another idea, but i doubt it. Looking forward to sharing this one again!....God bless you all!!!!

• 1 month later...

Heres a new update on this build....getting VERY close to painting a bunch of bits!

-Photo 1; Here i made separate door cards. They will still get more detailing. I also needed to enlarge the door pockets in the tub so that they wouldnt be seen...later i will add the covers to them.

-Photo 2; Cant have door cards without having the seams etched to show that the doors open. Yhe top edges of these doors will now become the window weather stripping, and be painted rubber.

-Photo 3&4; Since the foot walls werent there, i had to make them. The styrene block you see, is a locator for the peddles which also werent part of the kit, but i found some in my parts bin. I have also made the carpet, and mat pipping, using solder. Its larger than scale, because once you flock around it, it visually shrinks to the right size. Remember not to make them perfectly straight...they arent on the real cars...this will add some crazy visual interest, and realism without trying too hard.

-Photo 5; I cut the slots for the seat belts to retract into.

-Photo 6; ...i also cut a slot for the hand brake.

-Photo 7; The area i'm pointing at is the split between two padded sections, so i needed to scribe them.

-Photo 8; At the last second, i noticed that i forgot to etch all the way round the glove box door. Without doing so, it would have blended into the dash after the painting process, and wouldnt have looked real...as if i could open.

-Photo 9; Here i show how i cut a section out of a spare part, and attached it to the uneven side of the chassis(the white slash lines indicate the part i removed from the spare where the arrows point. To take this area a little bit further, i will be adding shocks which didnt come with this kit.

DSCF9525.JPG

DSCF9530.JPG

DSCF9529.JPG

DSCF9528.JPG

DSCF9527.JPG

DSCF9531.JPG

DSCF9532.JPG

DSCF9526.JPG

DSCF9524.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

On 2/29/2020 at 7:15 PM, CabDriver said:

Nice work Dann - I really like the softening you did to the sharp edges on the seats, and I always enjoy your scratchbuilding! 

Thanks, Bud!, its a little touch that actually adds a ton of realism without much effort.

Hi Dann,

nice to see you back at it! M,self, I get a lot of pleasure from building those "simple" kits once in a while, too. Correcting the obvious errors and adding the desired details... Of course, you take that detailing to another level as usual, but that is just why it's such fun watching your WIP's! :rolleyes:

On 3/5/2020 at 7:49 AM, Tommy124 said:

Hi Dann,

nice to see you back at it! M,self, I get a lot of pleasure from building those "simple" kits once in a while, too. Correcting the obvious errors and adding the desired details... Of course, you take that detailing to another level as usual, but that is just why it's such fun watching your WIP's! :rolleyes:

Thanks, bud!...i do love these simple kits too!...as of yesterday, i sprayed up the interior bits, and will be detailing them soon.

On 3/5/2020 at 10:57 AM, David G. said:

Good progress on this one!

The details just keep piling up :)

David G.

Thanks, Bud!....stuff sometimes -usually keeps getting added as i go, lol....after the interior has a bit more time to dry, i will really get some of the fun stuff going FINALLY, lol

5 hours ago, wisco8 said:

Outstanding modeling skills Dann. I like the build progress because I can get some ideas for how to modify a kit and make it look really cool. Keep posting the great work, watching and learning.

Best regards, Steve

Much appreciated, Steve!, glad you are liking it, and learning along the way! -i will keep it coming for sure!

19 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Much appreciated, Steve!, glad you are liking it, and learning along the way! -i will keep it coming for sure!

God bless you Dann, and thank you for sharing your skills. Your the best!!

Steve

Edited by wisco8

On 3/13/2020 at 3:57 PM, wisco8 said:

God bless you Dann, and thank you for sharing your skills. Your the best!!

Steve

Thank you, Steve!...God gave me the skills, and i love sharing them!!....Thank you for following!!, and God bless you too!!!

30 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

Man......you've got a lot of time taken up in sanding, filling and revamping on this one. Looking forward to those shots with paint on them.

Thanks, Bud!, even though i still cant post photos, i've still been working on all 14 builds. Literally in a few minutes i will be primering up the body parts to this Countach. I am saving up step-by-step photos of each build though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, everyone!...heres a Countach update as well!

-Photo 1; Body needs decals, and clear next..and i'm using Aoshima Countach mirrors, and had to SB a better -more realistic muffler heat shield -the molded in one was too short, and not see through.

-Photo 2; I removed the molded in license plate frame, and will use Fujimi fog lights for better realism.

-Photo 3; Looks waaay better with the lowered ride height, and wider tyres!...notice all the new vents i made for the hood.

-photo 4; Better view of the 500s hood that i made.

-Photo 5; I added these hollow square tubing to have a contact for the shocks.

-Photo 6;All the interior bits ready for detailing, and assembly!...this will be the next build that gets finished.

DSCF9579.JPG

DSCF9573.JPG

DSCF9574.JPG

DSCF9575.JPG

DSCF9577.JPG

DSCF9578.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

8 hours ago, David G. said:

I fell in love with the Countache when I first saw one as a car show in 1978 and it's been my favorite exotic ever since.

Yours looks great, it'll be nice to see it finished.

David G.

Same here, Bud!, but my first live encounter was with a white 25th Anniversary, but its been my favorite car of all time since 1980, or so, with my favorite being the 88 5000QV.   It shouldnt really take too long to finish now!

21 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

Beautiful ! I’ve been a big fan of the Countache for years. I had the Alpine poster on my college dorm wall. 

Ben

I think had that one too, but I also had one with a neekid woman on the aluminum hood, black with gold wheels.  Now that I think of it, should search Shapeways site for the figure..... ?

Looking good Dann!

11 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I think had that one too, but I also had one with a neekid woman on the aluminum hood, black with gold wheels.  Now that I think of it, should search Shapeways site for the figure..... ?

Looking good Dann!

Thanks, Bud!, i actually got upset at the women keeping me from seeing the whole car, lol