Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tweaking Tamiyas Countach

Dann Tier

On 4/16/2020 at 3:50 AM, Funkychiken said:

Looking good Dann, on the home straight!

Thanks alot, Bud!...decals went well, as did the final coat of clear!....i'm gonna use this Mica Black more often!!, its got fine, goldish flakes in it, which blends the titanium gold wheels with the gold script, and then the tan interior. I will be posting another update a bit later today about it, as well as the tailights, and last bits of the kit parts that i sprayed up yesterday....it really is gonna start moving along FAST now, after i detail paint, and flock the interior today!!

Hey, everyone!, heres what i just got done...

-Photo 1&2; Decals were added, and sealed in clear coat. In a few days, i will mask, and paint the trim.

-Photo 3; Here are all the last bits painted, and ready for assembly tomorrow -gonna try to finish the interior.

-Photo 4; This is how Tamiya wants you to do the tailights...

-Photo 5; This is how they are suppose to look. The surrounding area around the lights doesnt light up, its just a reflector, which needs to be a bit darker, and opaque -not clear.

-Photo 6; Here are my lights...step one; paint the orange light, and the red one with the surround, using Tamiyas clear kolors(2 coats)...step 2; paint two coats of MM Stop light red over the surround to add a bit of reflective/metallic look. Step 3; add two coats of a dark red to make it darker, and opaque.

DSCF9615.JPG

DSCF9616.JPG

DSCF9617.JPG

lam_1.jpg

images.jpg

DSCF9619.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

1 hour ago, Ben Brown said:

“Lord Vader, your car is ready.” (Actually, that was an old Chevy ad)

Looking great, Dann! Those cars look great in black. I think this might be another kit I didn’t know I needed.?

Ben

Thanks, Bud!, they sure do!...Fujimi use to be the way to go if you wanted a great kit of this car, but Aoshima is aurguably better now, but this VERY old Tamiya kit can look VERY realistic as well!!

This is a beautiful build Dann. The Countach looks amazing ib black.

Like so many on here, the Countach is an icon of my youth, and this Tamiya kit just reminds me so much of my very early model building days as a kid.

I built a few of these, then one day the Fujimi Enthusiasts kit came out and blew me away. There's till life in this Tamiya though, as you are clearly demonstrating.

Keep going - I'm looking forward to seeing more.

17 hours ago, beeRS said:

This is a beautiful build Dann. The Countach looks amazing ib black.

Like so many on here, the Countach is an icon of my youth, and this Tamiya kit just reminds me so much of my very early model building days as a kid.

I built a few of these, then one day the Fujimi Enthusiasts kit came out and blew me away. There's till life in this Tamiya though, as you are clearly demonstrating.

Keep going - I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks, Bud!...i agree totally!...i too have built over 16 Fujimi Countach kits since they came out, now i prefer Aoshimas. If you can look past all the re-scribing that needs to be done, this Tamiya kit represents it VERY well, and will look killer on any shelf!!...thanks for following!!

Hey, everyone!, heres yet a bit more done...

-Photo 1; Got the fog lights on...the side markers...and the turnsignals all painted up. I masked off, and painted the clear orange, then painted the clear bits with a 2/3 gloss clear, with 1/3 white. Next i will attach the lenses, and fog light decals.

DSCF9675.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of an update here, everyone....

-Photo 1; This was my first time using MCG flocking....NOT impressed....this is what it looked like after 4 coats/layers/applications. Needless to say, i washed it all off, and used Kens Fuzzy Fur -MUCH better!!!

-Photo 2; Didnt have the same kolor, but Kens covered fist time, and i actually like this custom kolor better anyway...

DSCF9757.JPG

DSCF9761.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier