Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Plymouth Kustom - Larry Watson

mopargreg

Hi all, Just thought I would share another car I finished a while ago. This was a stalled project I started in 2017 & finished a few months ago. A 1957 Plymouth inspired by Larry Watson's Plymouth. For those that don't know Larry Watson, he was a custom painter back in the day who had his own unique style. From what I understand this car was painted in 1958. Im a fan of Larry's work, also a fan of Forward Look mopars so this was a no brainer. Usually I prefer Forward Look Mopars to be plain stock like the day they rolled off the production line. But Ive always really loved this car as I feel the Kustom paint on this really helps accentuate the body lines & moldings of the 57 Plymouth. It was my first time painting a car with this type of paint work so I was a little nervous but Im happy with the results. 

The body is Modelhaus Resin kit bashed with AMT 1958 Plymouth. Wheel caps are Modelhaus, spotlights & side pipes are RMCM resin. Driver figure is by Scale Equipment Ltd. The Yellow is Testors Model master Phoeician Yellow sprayed straight from the can & the green is Citrus Yellow Metallic, even though the color is green not yellow. Unless In color blind. :) I also still need to add the windshield wipers, my AMT 58 kit only had 1 windshield wiper so Im waiting to get another kit. Also need to add the license plates, our printer stopped working. 

Thanks for looking, Greg

ryHolloway1957PlymouthPotter04-vi.thumb.jpg.1425175cd584ebe8bf1be9659f0d50b4.jpg

DSC06426.thumb.JPG.87aad4dd5e353840661a7efa09dded06.JPG

DSC06443.thumb.JPG.8e50f21986099511dff575fad006fa94.JPG

DSC06434.thumb.JPG.9b8c153a1e479f644d8ff1b47c3e90ad.JPG

DSC06442.thumb.JPG.ca98b1a7b42dbe118d5bd2b66c2c7e10.JPG

Edited by mopargreg

That is very nice! I've always been a fan of Larry Watson's paint jobs and you replicated this one really well. It's also a pleasure to see one of those '57 Plymouths built, that body style is a great starting point for a Custom. Excellent paint work and very nicely built Plymouth overall. Nice work!

You certainly did a great Watson type paint job. The colors go perfectly together. Many of these early paint jobs were done on new or very late model vehicles and would use the original base color and add a contrasting color to complete the paint work. Just as you have done here this was a way of complimenting the vehicles original design.  

Thanks for the kind comments guys. Much appreciated, it was a fun build. Ill share a few other cars soon. I have a lot more Forward Look Mopars to build but those will be all mostly stock. Theres another Kustom Mopar I am planning on building but its before the Forward Look era. Ed Sloans 1953 Plymouth. Its such a killer car!

Ed-sloan-1953-plymouth.jpg

14 hours ago, W-409 said:

That is very nice! I've always been a fan of Larry Watson's paint jobs and you replicated this one really well. It's also a pleasure to see one of those '57 Plymouths built, that body style is a great starting point for a Custom. Excellent paint work and very nicely built Plymouth overall. Nice work!

Yes I agree, the 57 Plymouth is a great starting point for a custom. Its a shame that you don't see many Forward Look Mopars in the 1:1 world & if they are, rarely they are tastefully built like Watsons 57.

13 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Wow! You did an amazing job on this one. I like everything about it.

I, too, am a fan of Watson's style of painting. The 57 Plymouth was a natural candidate for Watson's work. Someday I want to do one of his seaweed style flame jobs on a build.

Later-

Thanks! Yes I would love to do one of Watsons seaweed flames but a paint job like that is way out of my league. This 57 was a good intro to paint that is more than just a standard 2 tone paint job.

8 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Very nice work! A great car!

What did you use from the '58 Plymouth kit?  Did you open the hood and install an engine?

I'm asking because I have the Modelhaus '57 Plymouth wagon kit to build.

5 hours ago, Sledsel said:

That is an awesome build! I love it.

Where did you get bumpers without wings? I hate the wings.

Tom & Sledsel, The Modelhaus kit came with body, hood, grille, bumpers, tail lights & cowl panel. The rest of the car is from the AMT 1958 Plymouth kit. The hood was already a seperate part on the Modelhaus kit just like the AMT 58 Plymouth. Actually the Modelhaus body is based from the AMT 58 Plymouth kit & the bodies are identical other than the side trim which Modelhaus changed & backdated to 57. The Modelhaus 57 Plymouth wagon kit is based of Johan but I would expect the AMT 58 Plymouth kits parts would work well.