Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Project....Barber-Greene Paver

Got the right hand crawler frame done.  Then it was on to the feed auger, right hand and left hand. This was a bit of a challenge but it came out okay. I used a .50 BMG case to punch out .50 diameter discs and then used a 5.56mm case to punch out the center and assembled them on the center shaft.  Started bashing together a Continental F244 flathead six power plant.  This build is a huge challenge as it is a very large number of subassemblies with seemingly zero relationship to each other.  But it's coming along! 

IMG_1464.JPG

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1470.JPG

IMG_1471.JPG

IMG_1472.JPG

IMG_1473.JPG

IMG_1474.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

23 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Outstanding work  ! I had to chuckle about using 50 bmg for punches , perfect tool for the task   

Your auger turned out fantastic,  actually been head scratching about how to make one for sicard blower...and you've done it ! 

Keep up the great work 

2 hours ago, Hermann Kersten said:

Very nice project Tom, i like the detailed pictures to show us how you scratch this machine.

The bullet casings using as a punch and die, proves that a modeler can be very inventive.:lol:?

Hermann.

When you own and run a gun shop, you have all sorts of interesting bits and pieces around!  Racked my brain how to get 1/2" diameter discs and bingo, it just popped into my head! 

The auger was actually not hard to make though I had to give it a lot of thought and look at real 1:1 augers.  I made the discs as noted and used a proper sized tube for assembling the discs onto. I slit the discs as shown. Then giving them a proper twist either left hand or right hand, I put them on the tube. I tacked the first one in place at the very beginning with CA cement and accelerator. Then I twisted it out to the pitch I wanted and attached that end. The next piece was overlapped on the first one about 1/16" and a drop of CA was applied between the two disc edges and clamped with a pair of tiny pliers and accelerator was applied. I proceeded on to the end of the auger in this manner, rinse and repeat, until I got the length I wanted and then made a mirror image. I then went back and added more CA as needed to make it permanent. Only glued my fingers together once! Pretty happy with the way it came out, and if I make another one for something in the future, it will be all that much easier!

Edited by redneckrigger

Worked on the feed conveyor today. Am trying three different designs.  For the very old metal slat style,  I used a chain assembly from a Tamiya RC truck as the conveyor chain. Sprockets from MicroMark on 1/8" aluminum rod and overlapping slats attached, and it looks pretty good.  Will attach the end slats at the sprockets at final assembly.  For the second type will use drag bars instead of slats. For the newer design, I will do a rubber belt. How they come out will determine which I use. Getting there!

IMG_1578.JPG

IMG_1580.JPG

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1583.JPG

IMG_1584.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

Well, those of you who have seen my “on the workbench” projects before, know that I very often take about two steps back for each step forward until I get well along in the build. So, not to disappoint, I just took a BUNCH of steps backwards! I was simply not happy with the drag bar feed conveyor as it was sorely out of scale.  So, I took a step back and decided to use chain that will be more in scale, that Charlie Rowley told me about.  It will be a real chore to attach the drag bars but it will look SO much better.  Then, when I made THAT adjustment, I made the main frame more to the proper scale as well.  Then to just add a bit of excitement to the mix, I rebuilt the crawler frames to use miniature pillow blocks just like the real deal, instead of simple shafts stuck to the side plates.  So...... here is the updated main frame, and the new crawler frames.  Also shown is the power train diagram with all of the gearboxes, clutches, shafts and countershafts, sprockets and chains and the feed conveyor, augers, crawlers etc.  Needless to say, a pretty complex build.  

7F0E8137-11F4-4DA6-8DF8-828BD7CD7193.jpeg

A9E5BB99-A733-4EB1-864D-B2734AD75FA1.jpeg

49D79A33-6870-495C-8550-3A431335601D.jpeg

89FACDE7-1F35-409C-B8C4-C8439F144D65.jpeg

CE58EE4B-D6BC-4A13-8BFA-C26EB1AF43B6.jpeg

3622BE8E-98D3-4710-BF88-4762494D1403.jpeg

43020ACC-2BAD-401D-A2F6-77E58CAEBF3D.jpeg

B3213CAF-E2F3-47A1-9569-B14343D953D3.jpeg

ADFDD403-9702-48A6-A3FF-90FA1A457BF2.jpeg

FBB25EB9-7191-4C62-9F94-EE71944886D9.jpeg

1E8C2C98-CC7B-4DDE-A8C9-989500A9E876.jpeg

Edited by redneckrigger

I just got through doing some of what you have been doing!  Working on the IH brush truck I built up an engine using a old Mack block.  Got it all done but quickly found that it was way too big!  The firewall would have been sitting about 1/2" behind the cowl!  Tried moving the engine forward and that didn't work.  So it was a couple of steps backward to get another engine.  Back in 1967 when this truck was built they were still using relatively small gas engines for this type of use so I dragged out one of the 1950 Chevy pickup kits and rebuilt its engine.  I had to cut the transmission loose and put it on the other end of the block though, because the IH manifolds and plugs are opposite to the Chevy.  Here is a comparison of the two engines and you can see how much smaller the Chevy engine is.

022.JPG.d5a14dd3b9a68059c3a6450aa20d35aa.JPG035.JPG.7986a2388fc321082a2491c5587732c4.JPG

Notice where the transmission sits in the first photo.  It is way up inder the raised cross member.  In the second photo that's the transfer case that sits under it.  And here is a look at the engine inside the cab area.  The firewall also came from the Chevy kit and was only trimmed a small amount at the corners and sides to get it to fit.  Much of the thick resin cowl was ground away to allow it to fit better.030.JPG.567d686030269e5523b95224cc4bde92.JPG

Note how thick the hood is that was cut loose from the cab.  I made a mold and have cast the outside shape of the hood.  I'll slush cast it so that it is thin all the way around.  That way I can cut it down the center and add a hinge.