Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Plymouth GTX (wheel test)

Bills72sj

This Plymouth GTX was purchased and built mostly because the mags in the kit are the closest thing to my 1:1 1972 Grand Prix. I chose the cream color because I had seen one in a car show and thought it looked good. It was the first time I had used automotive (rattle can) paint. This is also the first model I got reference pics for in order to detail the tail panel and grille correctly. The black stripes were added later and are from Keith Marks. After some time, I upgraded the wheel and tire package to 19"ers from the Revell 67 GTX kit. To do so, I had to disassemble the model to open up the top of the rear wheel wells for tire clearance. I really need to take it outside for better pics.

DSCF0029.JPG

DSCF0031.JPG

DSCF0033.JPG

70 GTX with new 19's LF.jpg

70 GTX with new 19's RR.jpg

I really like the understated look of that color. As for wheels, and this is something that can depend on personal taste, The American "Coke Bottle" wheels the spokes look to large. The larger diameter five spokes look better if this is what appeals to you. The stock road wheel looks good also. A suggestion that may or may not be to your liking would be a Crager style chrome wheel. These where kind of the default aftermarket wheel for MoPars at the time. I think Mopar might of even had something between the dealers and Crager as a wheel supplier at that time they were that common. Wheel, just like the stance, are a very personal thing. By the way that's the stance I almost always go for.        

23 minutes ago, espo said:

I really like the understated look of that color. As for wheels, and this is something that can depend on personal taste, The American "Coke Bottle" wheels the spokes look to large. The larger diameter five spokes look better if this is what appeals to you. The stock road wheel looks good also. A suggestion that may or may not be to your liking would be a Cragar style chrome wheel. These where kind of the default aftermarket wheel for Mopars at the time. I think Mopar might of even had something between the dealers and Cragar as a wheel supplier at that time they were that common. Wheel, just like the stance, are a very personal thing. By the way that's the stance I almost always go for.        

I agree. Stance is everything. Wheels are a personal choice. Some are more popular than others. The stockers were on for quite awhile. I just wanted to change it up a bit from my limited choices. Here is one I missed.

DSCF0035.JPG