Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Land Rover 109" Station wagon

1 hour ago, dublin boy said:

Needs a Rover V8 Geoff...

If it was a Phase One,it would have a 3.5 V8, the V8 won't fit in the Series 3 engine bay, which is why the Phase one engine bay is longer,bringing the front panel flush with the front wings,plus the inner wings are totally different  in fact the V8 Land Rovers were basically Range Rovers with a different body.

10874427.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

Looking over the Revell Land Rover this morning, already spotted a mistake, depending on whether it is left hand drive or Right hand drive, the air intake for the carburetor will be on one side only, Revell seems to put a small locating mark molded in the body on both sides, so a little bit of filler should sort out it, why Revell didn't mark them on the inside so they could be drilled out.

20191214_141259.jpg

20191214_141305.jpg

20191214_141339.jpg

35 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

Looking over the Revell Land Rover this morning, already spotted a mistake, depending on whether it is left hand drive or right hand drive.

I don’t know if you saw it on Britmodeller, Geoff, but for the folks here, there’s also a small error with the transfer box selector levers. They are always on the right hand side of the transmission tunnel, whether or not the vehicle is RHD or LHD. Revell gives you two tunnel parts, so just always use the one called out for RHD...

best,

M.

6 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

I don’t know if you saw it on Britmodeller, Geoff, but for the folks here, there’s also a small error with the transfer box selector levers. They are always on the right hand side of the transmission tunnel, whether or not the vehicle is RHD or LHD. Revell gives you two tunnel parts, so just always use the one called out for RHD...

best,

M.

Yes, I did see that,even though I don't post on Britmodeller, I can see Revells reasoning, they based the model on a LHD vehicle, I suspect they thought like the pedals, everything on the Land Rover would be swapped over, it's a shame they didn't check before hand  it's not as though there isn't any 1:1 RHD Land Rovers out there.

Edited by GeeBee

Sometimes it's worth reading the Instructions before putting any parts together, although not mentioned in the instructions, Revell have supplied seats to make a basic and Deluxe interior, Its a shame they didn't supply a Deluxe bonnet  hopefully someone's out there will do a resin aftermarket one, looks like the spares box will be gaining a few more parts.

20191217_151546.jpg

20191217_151555.jpg

20191217_151910.jpg

20191217_151917.jpg

3 hours ago, mrmike said:

I'm liking the looks of this Land Rover, Geoff!  I may have to get one to go with the Monogram version I built.  Maybe paint it the same colors, too.

I'm hoping that the fact that you have to drill out so many holes in the floorpan for the rear seats that Revell have other versions in the planning, if the 109 kit sells well, hopefully Revell will se fit to release a 88" version. 

4 hours ago, GeeBee said:

I'm hoping that the fact that you have to drill out so many holes in the floorpan for the rear seats that Revell have other versions in the planning, if the 109 kit sells well, hopefully Revell will se fit to release a 88" version. 

As I understand it, the classic English 109 has longitudinal benches in the back, and the one piece round cornered rear windows, so that it reached 12-seater capacity and therefore qualified as a commercial minibus for tax purposes... The jump seats (were) are a European and US thing...

best,

M.

27 minutes ago, Matt Bacon said:

As I understand it, the classic English 109 has longitudinal benches in the back, and the one piece round cornered rear windows, so that it reached 12-seater capacity and therefore qualified as a commercial minibus for tax purposes... The jump seats (were) are a European and US thing...

best,

M.

You're correct in saying the 12 seater was tax except (New Car Tax) as it was classed as a bus, but you could buy a10 seat station wagon in the U.K., Those had the four jump seats in the back.

1972-Land-Rover-Series-III-109-Safari-8.jpg

P12101462.jpg

No time to spend time in the hobby room today, I did manage to get in there later this evening as soon as things had quieted down, used the safari roof panel to use so the roof rack could be fixed together, as soon as the joints are strong it can be removed from the roof panel and painted.

FB_IMG_1576881340654.jpg

FB_IMG_1576881344546.jpg

FB_IMG_1576881334335.jpg

FB_IMG_1576881337593.jpg

FB_IMG_1576881330560.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I’m really enjoying seeing this come together. A buddy of mine had a shorter wheelbase version one of these that he drove around the Upper West Side of Manhattan for his business...he let me drive it once and it was FUN!  Agricultural - VERY heavy steering, but great fun! 

Decided to close the hobby room for Christmas, mainly because I needed time with friends and family and also had some last minute photography work to get sorted, managed to get a load of parts prepared and ready for primer.

FB_IMG_1578135856389.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Roadrunnertwice said:

Nice work on this kit. It whets my appetite to get one of m own!

It's a good kit, the instructions can be a little confusing with all the LHD and RHD diagrams, some parts need to be chucked in the bin, they supply two transmission tunnels, one's useless, Land Rover never made a LHD tunnel, there's two sets of seats, standard an deluxe, it's a shame they didn't include a deluxe bonnet though, drilling marks in the body for LHD or RHD options need sorting, why they put them on the outside of the body I'll never know, but it's the only Land Rover kit out there, and once built it really does look the part, when i build one for myself I'll be doing a few things differently,but this one has to built pretty much OOB.

Edited by GeeBee

Watching your build Jeff!  I recently acquired the Series III LWB and it is a massive kit at 184 pieces!  I had to compare the body of the Monogram Land Rover Series III with the LWB since I thought the LWB was narrower and it is not.  Can't wait to get started on it!