Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
GeeBee

Revell Land Rover 109" Station wagon

Recommended Posts

Paint arrived from Gravity paints in Spain, it's about time I gave them a try, hopefully I'll find time to get back into the hobby room very soon.

 

20200120_120942.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2020 at 5:01 AM, GeeBee said:

It's a good kit, the instructions can be a little confusing with all the LHD and RHD diagrams, some parts need to be chucked in the bin, they supply two transmission tunnels, one's useless, Land Rover never made a LHD tunnel, there's two sets of seats, standard an deluxe, it's a shame they didn't include a deluxe bonnet though, drilling marks in the body for LHD or RHD options need sorting, why they put them on the outside of the body I'll never know, but it's the only Land Rover kit out there, and once built it really does look the part, when i build one for myself I'll be doing a few things differently,but this one has to built pretty much OOB.

I'll probably chuck the unused parts into my spares box right way to avoid confusion during the build. I didn't know about standard vs. deluxe bonnets. Does the deluxe have the spare wheel mounted on it? I'm enjoying the progress on your build and can't wait to start my own. In the meantime, I've my SWB version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Roadrunnertwice said:

Does the deluxe have the spare wheel mounted on it? I'm enjoying the progress on your build and can't wait to start my own. 

Yes, the standard bonnet didn't have the indent in it, the standard bonnet is what is supplied in the kit, the spare wheel would have been put in the back, which was totally inconvenient, you either had to put up with it, leave it behind it you were going to use the rear seats or pay for the dealer to have it mounted on the back door, which was a pain if you were using your Land Rover for towing as the tyre got in the way when coupling up the trailer, the later Defenders have the wheel mounted much higher.

The door mirrors supplied in the kit are totally incorrect for a Series land rover, the only way to fit them is to swap the top door hinge with the ones off a later Defender.

Deluxe Bonnet

 

$_86.jpeg

Edited by GeeBee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Yes, the standard bonnet didn't have the indent in it, the standard bonnet is what is supplied in the kit, the spare wheel would have been put in the back, which was totally inconvenient, you either had to put up with it, leave it behind it you were going to use the rear seats or pay for the dealer to have it mounted on the back door, which was a pain if you were using your Land Rover for towing

$_86.jpeg

I have never owned a Land Rover but I would think that having the spare up on the hood would be inconvenient. How does it affect opening the hood for service? It looks like it would be very heavy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I have never owned a Land Rover but I would think that having the spare up on the hood would be inconvenient. How does it affect opening the hood for service? It looks like it would be very heavy

It is. You’d certainly know about it if it landed on you while you were inside... ISTR the wheel and tyre weighs around 75 lbs... which is why you don’t want it above the cab like the prototype of the Revell kit, which is unusual verging on the unique. Back door mount is common, but needs a frame or it will put a lot of stress on the door hinges. Pickups often have it mounted on the bulkhead behind the front seats, but obviously that eats into rear compartment space. Some military types carry spares high on one or both sides on a frame behind the front doors. Bonnet is one of the lesser of all the potential evils, but it pays to take the spare off before any serious work under the hood...

best,

M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is he Monogram Land Rover I built in the '90's . Thanx 

England's Land Rover r.JPG

England's land Rover f.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

I have never owned a Land Rover but I would think that having the spare up on the hood would be inconvenient. How does it affect opening the hood for service? It looks like it would be very heavy

Ours had it on the hood but I can't remember  if it was a problem or not. Of course we were much younger. 

Algérie 750005.jpg

Algérie0002.jpg

Edited by landman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I have never owned a Land Rover but I would think that having the spare up on the hood would be inconvenient. How does it affect opening the hood for service? It looks like it would be very heavy

Done it a few times, almost impossible with the tyre still in place, if you weren't going to use it for towing,the spare wheel could be mounted on the rear door, but if you were towing the bottom of the tyre got in the way of the coupling, vans and pick ups had the spare wheel mounted on the rear bulkhead inside, the later Defenders had the spare mounted much higher on the rear door.

 

ebay851138.jpg

n482fbm_1_0.jpg

DSC_0718.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is looking good, GeeBee!  Looking forward to more on this Land Rover.  I have this kit and I am making plans for it now including mounting the spare tire on the hood .  The majority of my research picutres show the spare mounted on the hood and hardly any with the spare mounted on the roof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought one a couple of days ago at my LHS, and it looks really nice. The question I have is about the recommendation to paint the frame in Aluminum. I realize that many old Land Rovers have had their frames replaces with ones made from galvanized steel, but it doesn't look like aluminum. What do you think the reason is behind this colour choice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 64Comet404 said:

I bought one a couple of days ago at my LHS, and it looks really nice. The question I have is about the recommendation to paint the frame in Aluminum. I realize that many old Land Rovers have had their frames replaces with ones made from galvanized steel, but it doesn't look like aluminum. What do you think the reason is behind this colour choice?

Probably because the one they used to measure and photograph had been restored, using a new galvanised chassis, if you're looking for an original  factory finish,paint it gloss black.

Edited by GeeBee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 1:32 PM, mrmike said:

This is looking good, GeeBee!  Looking forward to more on this Land Rover.  I have this kit and I am making plans for it now including mounting the spare tire on the hood .  The majority of my research picutres show the spare mounted on the hood and hardly any with the spare mounted on the roof.

I've never seen a land rover with the spare wheel mounted on the roof, apart from the one Revell used to measure and photograph, but as this one was supplied by Revell for a magazine review I'll be building it as the box art, I've two more in the stash that I'll be putting the spare on the rear door, unless some one casts the proper deluxe bonnet in resin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snagged me one yesterday, GeeBee thanks for all the tips. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, GeeBee said:

I've never seen a land rover with the spare wheel mounted on the roof, apart from the one Revell used to measure and photograph, but as this one was supplied by Revell for a magazine review I'll be building it as the box art, I've two more in the stash that I'll be putting the spare on the rear door, unless some one casts the proper deluxe bonnet in resin.

My spare tire will go on the hood (bonnet) even if the hood is not part of the deluxe package.  I figure no one will really notice the lack of the deluxe hood unless they know about that package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mrmike said:

My spare tire will go on the hood (bonnet) even if the hood is not part of the deluxe package.  I figure no one will really notice the lack of the deluxe hood unless they know about that package.

The spare wheel mounting on the bonnet would have been a dealer fit option on a non deluxe Land Rover, pretty easy to scratch build the pie dish mount, hope these photos help you out....

 

Bonnet fixing for spare wheel.jpg

land-rover-series-2a-bonnet-spare_360_b281740671f74c6573ed75b1885bf6a4.jpg

land-rover-series-2-2a-bonnet-spare_360_dda4439e12f2e90e51c41e837fba0404 (1).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Geoff!  It does help.  I will look into maybe making a mount for the hood mounted spare tire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...