Model Cars Magazine Forum

My 1970 Hemi 'cuda

Dann Tier

Hey, everyone! here is another kit that i had started a few years ago....hopefully posting it will help me get it done! I have as many Muscle car kits as i do exotics, and the 1970 Hemi 'cuda is my favorite one of ALL time! I have a book that my wife, Tina got me, and it had a photo of the one i had to build. Since i already had a super detailed example of a 426 Hemi in my 67 GTX, iwas just gonna build it as a curbside. Since i've gifted away that GTX, i need another example of that engine.......so this will be it. Its gonna be a "modified" curbside, meaning; i'm not concerned about detail of the chassis. The body, engine bay, and interior will all be my usual level of detail.

-Photo 2&3; Since MCG wasnt gonna make a detail set for this kit, i got lucky, and found that Hobby Design made!....and boy what a set!!! -it WONT tarnish either! Even though i will use very little of it, its nice to know that its out there for others. The main reasons i got it was for the scripts, and front grills.

-Photo 4; This is the kolor it will be, with a white interior, and black trim/ hockey stick stripe.

-Photo 5; The stance is set!...

-Photo 6&7; heres the starting of the Tub-Job.

download.jpg

DSCF9139.JPG

DSCF9140.JPG

DSCF9134.JPG

DSCF9132.JPG

DSCF9133.JPG

DSCF9135.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

14 hours ago, 72 Charger said:

Nice work so far . I am just starting the AAR version of this kit so I will be following along. I like the tub job very neat and that paint looks a great choice .

Thanks, Dave!!...happy to have you following!!.....how is that AAR kit?

28 minutes ago, Superbird McMonte said:

Nice work! There’s a lot of “tubbing” going on lately. I have a 1970 Monte on the bench, and it’s tubed!

Thanks, Dominick!!......have you posted your Monte?.....dont remember seeing that......hows it going for you?

The one part that i was really hoping to use in the PE set front grills, BUT the passenger side grill is not right. At first i thought it was Hobby Designes fault, but then i noticed that it was Revells....Hobby Design was just replicating what was there. The center horizontal bar? has a wider section like the PLYMOUTH script on the drivers side. Havent quite figured out what i want to do about it, but i will fix it.

-Photo 3; The real deal...

DSCF9151.JPG

DSCF9152.JPG

images (2).jpg

23 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Thanks, Dave!!...happy to have you following!!.....how is that AAR kit?

I have only put the axels and engine half's together so far but it is a nice kit. I have sanded down the arches as they are to big. The decals are very nice . I was looking at it under a magnifying glass and you can actually read the vin tag ! . I was going to check to see what it decoded as . Just to see if Revell got it right ?

1 hour ago, 72 Charger said:

I have only put the axels and engine half's together so far but it is a nice kit. I have sanded down the arches as they are to big. The decals are very nice . I was looking at it under a magnifying glass and you can actually read the vin tag ! . I was going to check to see what it decoded as . Just to see if Revell got it right ?

NICE!!!....i might have to buy that kit just so i can read it too, lol

I really like the Revell kit, it is very well engineered.  I've built one as Dan Gurney's AAR T/A race car and have another one started as a '71 Barracuda.  I hope you enjoy building this kit as much as I did my friend.

Edited by afx

Great to see this being built Dann,  I enjoy your work, and it just so happens i`m about to start a 70 cuda myself ! 

It was clever of you to spot the grill mistake,  im still thinking of getting the p/e detail set but id be interested to see you try it first ! 

If you cut the grills out and replace with a p/e piece wouldn't they be too sunk in ?  Or do you add plastic sheet first ?

Also why do the shaker scoops always look too low on the models?  

8 hours ago, afx said:

I really like the Revell kit, it is very well engineered.  I've built one as Dan Gurney's AAR T/A race car and have another one started as a '71 Barracuda.  I hope you enjoy building this kit as much as I did my friend.

Thanks, Bud!!....i remember following those!.....they are OUTSTANDING!!! 

8 hours ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

Great to see this being built Dann,  I enjoy your work, and it just so happens i`m about to start a 70 cuda myself ! 

It was clever of you to spot the grill mistake,  im still thinking of getting the p/e detail set but id be interested to see you try it first ! 

If you cut the grills out and replace with a p/e piece wouldn't they be too sunk in ?  Or do you add plastic sheet first ?

Also why do the shaker scoops always look too low on the models?  

Thanks, Martin!!....there are some REALLY nice bits with that PE set....even though i'm not gonna use most of it....just my personal preference to plastic first. (AFX helped create this monster....lol)  Hope you share your build, bud!! That grill screw-up is a bugger, but i have two ideas how to fix it....i will share it when i decide which is best. The actual grill on the car is kinda deep, but when i add PE grills, i always grind it away from behind, until the molded in bit just disappears....that will keep it looking right. Now, about that Shaker scoop; I think that all the kits of these cars suffer from that, and without testing it myself yet, i would think that the issue is with the thickness of the hood, and or the thickness of the rubber moulding on the Shaker base.....i will have a fix for that as well....its already forming in my head as i'm typing this, lol

On 12/15/2019 at 10:00 PM, Dann Tier said:

The one part that i was really hoping to use in the PE set front grills, BUT the passenger side grill is not right. At first i thought it was Hobby Designes fault, but then i noticed that it was Revells....Hobby Design was just replicating what was there. The center horizontal bar? has a wider section like the PLYMOUTH script on the drivers side. Havent quite figured out what i want to do about it, but i will fix it.

-Photo 3; The real deal...

DSCF9152.JPG

C9F46CFF-AF7B-43BA-B022-9B7C29935F99.thumb.jpeg.9d2d61def2839f53e323e3a9db29fd7c.jpeg

I cast this grill for the AAR Cuda. You’re welcome to it if you think it would be easier to modify. I see I have the same flaw. It has the rectangular trim in the center of the grills. I got that from the previous issue of the AAR Cuda. If you have one of those you may want to look at that too.

My Monte Carlo is in the very early stages. And I’m still trying to figure out where I want to incorporate the Monte Carlo frame with the 67 Chevelle. I’m thinking near the firewall.

7CFC13AC-E2AC-4CF5-8C60-2B567EEDDF47.thumb.jpeg.56f9fd6f9bc0d2f6b0810fee5f329692.jpeg

8EAEFCC6-CEBA-4B56-9A3B-98022D4E40B1.thumb.jpeg.973731ac7b404a21ab6cd2fb72be7f6b.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...