Model Cars Magazine Forum

Olds W-30 Intake Tubing

Steven, there are party straws that have extra long flexible elbows that should work for that.  Go to Amazon and search

Colorful Extra Long Flexible Bendy Party Disposabl Drinking Straws, 100 Pieces

Paint 'em flat black and you'll be good to go.  Hope this helps.

Edited by Ironman63
misspelling

4 minutes ago, Ironman63 said:

Steven, there are party straws that have extra long flexible elbows that should work for that.  Go to Amazon and search

Colorful Extra Long Flexible Bendy Party Disposabl Drinking Straws, 100 Pieces

Paint 'em flat black and you'll be good to go.  Hope this helps.

I had this idea and was just looking at some thin drinking straws that I have at home.

Unfortunately, the flex section is only about 1/4 of an inch long.

I would have to figure out a way to cut them up and string them together.

Not only that, but they seem just a tad too big.

Just under 1/4 inch in diameter.

But I think they would still look better than the kit pieces.

I'll take your advice and check Amazon.

Thanks Mark!!

image.thumb.jpeg.a65e5cefd5bad7faa6fb1c16d3ad8560.jpeg

Steve

2 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

You're welcome sir.  :D

Question for you Bill.

Do you think that some heat shrink over the original '69 Olds kit pieces would increase their size enough to make them look closer to their correct size?

My only issue with the kit pieces is that they appear far too thin.

I'm not really all that familiar with heat shrink material, or how thick it is after shrinking.

Steve

10 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Question for you Bill.

Do you think that some heat shrink over the original '69 Olds kit pieces would increase their size enough to make them look closer to their correct size?

My only issue with the kit pieces is that they appear far too thin.

I'm not really all that familiar with heat shrink material, or how thick it is after shrinking.

Steve, I've seen heat-shrink tube anywhere from about .005" to .015" in wall thickness. It depends on the diameter, the manufacturer, country of origin, etc. But you can fine it incredibly cheap on eBay (Chinese)...WAY cheaper than getting it in small sections locally, or from an electronics supply house.

Yes, you can build up the diameter easily with the stuff, but each successive layer will soften detail more.

The idea above of building up the diameter and then re-wrapping your part with wire, then another layer of shrink, seems to be a very good one if you want to preserve the crispness of the detail.

13 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I had this idea and was just looking at some thin drinking straws that I have at home.

Unfortunately, the flex section is only about 1/4 of an inch long.

I would have to figure out a way to cut them up and string them together.

Not only that, but they seem just a tad too big.

Just under 1/4 inch in diameter.

But I think they would still look better than the kit pieces.

I'll take your advice and check Amazon.

Thanks Mark!!

image.thumb.jpeg.a65e5cefd5bad7faa6fb1c16d3ad8560.jpeg

Steve

I guess I should have posted a pic.  Here's the one's I'm talking about.  Stretched out it's about 4".

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Edited by Ironman63

I bought some tubbing representing 1/25th 3" Duct Hose from Scale Model Speedway 100Gilmour Ct. in Owensboro, Ky. 42301. I got these several years ago and I'm not sure if they're still around or if someone else has taken over for them. Looking at the package there is no Web site listed. You could also check the After Market/ Resin section on the forum. There is a list of many suppliers their and some may offer what you need. The plastic straw idea might also be worth checking out, and you wouldn't have very much invested.  

Thanks for all of the input guys!!

You're giving me some ideas to try.

13 hours ago, afx said:

Thanks for posting this thread JC.

This is the one that I was thinking of.

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Steve, I've seen heat-shrink tube anywhere from about .005" to .015" in wall thickness. It depends on the diameter, the manufacturer, country of origin, etc. But you can fine it incredibly cheap on eBay (Chinese)...WAY cheaper than getting it in small sections locally, or from an electronics supply house.

Yes Bill, I have already been looking at sets of various sizes of heat shrink tube on ebay.

I can get a 127 piece set of various sized pieces for about $6.00.

image.png.f830a9a0fe316572ba6d7cecf06f2b63.png

7 hours ago, Ironman63 said:

I guess I should have posted a pic.  Here's the one's I'm talking about.  Stretched out it's about 4".

Yup.

I have looked at them on Amazon and ebay Mark, but the only thing that I'm not certain about is the diameter of the straw.

A regular sized drinking straw would be too large for this application.

The ones that I have are about 3/16 of an inch.

Do you know the size of the ones that you show in your post?

5 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Slixx Decals sells them.

All I'm seeing is "coolant hoses" with no photos.

I would really like to see what I'm buying before investing.

35 minutes ago, landman said:

Steve, have you considered the Thunderbolt's ducts?

Too large Pat.

And they would need considerable reshaping.

Steve

13 minutes ago, DukeE said:

Second time this is posted, had replies in last day or so. Desperately resisted using LMGTFY

Thanks for that useless bit of information Duke.

I posted this request 21 hours ago.

Someone else dug up that thread 13 hours ago after I had already requested the information, and I appreciate their help.

Prior to that, nobody had responded to that thread since May of 2015.

If you just want to lurk around in the shadows and bust peoples chops instead of offering something useful, please do it somewhere else.

Thanks.

Steve

30 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

...Someone else dug up that thread 13 hours ago after I had already requested the information, and I appreciate their help.

Steve, not a response to the specific post I'm quoting, but I buy the stuff in bulk, always have multiple sizes in stock, as I build custom wiring harnesses.

If you know the sizes you think you want, I'll gladly send you some samples to play with so you don't end up having to buy an assortment with a bunch of stuff you don't need.

4 minutes ago, DukeE said:

Thank god someone dug it up for you. Try Bill's tutorial on how to look for things in the forum. It's from 2013, but still is relevant. 

Lurking after you??? Bwahahahahahaha.. Yeah Steve, it's all about you. 

I like to spend time building Duke.

What do you do with yours other than trolling.

Haven't seen much.

Steve

25 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Steve, not a response to the specific post I'm quoting, but I buy the stuff in bulk, always have multiple sizes in stock, as I build custom wiring harnesses.

If you know the sizes you think you want, I'll gladly send you some samples to play with so you don't end up having to buy an assortment with a bunch of stuff you don't need.

That would be great Bill!

I'm not certain yet, but my plan at this point is to take a length of 3mm plastic tubing and flatten it slightly to a more oblong shape and then wrap it with thin wire and bend it to replicate the shape of the existing kit pieces.

After that, it might work nice to use the heat shrink over the whole thing.

It's worth a try anyway.

My guess would be that the the diameter of the tubing plus wire would be somewhere in the 4 to 5mm neighborhood?

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I have looked at them on Amazon and ebay Mark, but the only thing that I'm not certain about is the diameter of the straw.

A regular sized drinking straw would be too large for this application.

The ones that I have are about 3/16 of an inch.

Do you know the size of the ones that you show in your post?

Steve

It measures 1/4" outer diameter so it's larger than you'd want.  Lots of other good ideas of how to make them here though.