Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need Airbrush Advice Please

Hello,

long time lurker here :D

Over the years I have tried my hand at airbrushing. I have been using an old airbrush I got at a garage sale and a cheap one I got off line for 15 bucks. I guess they have worked "ok"

I want to get a decent airbrush though. I looked at Itawa and wow.. I just cant afford that much lol I was hoping to get some good advice from everyone here on what I can and should get for 100 or less.

I have a little blue paasche compressor which I bought last year though I have barely used it because my airbrushes are so problematic.

my current airbrushes use a side feed or bottom feed. I was thinking gravity feed would be better? with a small attached cup on top? Im honestly not sure... it just looks easier... yes? no?

Please just treat me as a newb because I honestly no nothing about all this. I just really want to learn and do the many kits I have sitting boxed up some justice :unsure:

Thank you, Jared

Weeeeeeeeeelllll, Ive had both. Im currently using a Badger I bought at Michiaels, dose the work, It jamm up like my Binks gun i use for 1-1 work. Look you have to keep the dang thing clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 OR IT WONT WORK I dont car whose gun/Airbrush you buy, if it aint clean, it wont work! Hope that helps too, Ive gotta find vacumm leaks on a six cylinder Ford motor :unsure: Ed Shaver

A couple of questions;

Do you know what type of airbrush you have?

Also do you have hoses and attachment for that airbrush?

The reason why I'm asking that if you want to try to keep it under $100 and if you already have those parts, you're better off getting just the airbrush itself that will fit those components. There are set, though, that have everything you need in them except for the compressor and you can get them for under $100. One of my favorites is Pasche VL Double Action. I just had to replace mine not too long ago...one I've had for over 25 years. As for the gravity fed, they are nicer than the bottom feed, but will cost you quite a bit more. If you do get a gravity feed, make sure you get one that has removable cups.

Here's the web site that I used to buy my airbrush. They are a good company and have decent prices.

http://www.coastairbrush.com/categories.asp?cat=10

If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby you could use a 40% off coupon for one of their Iwata airbrushes. The one by me has a HL exclusive kit with a Iwata airbrush, hose, and a couple other things in the box. It's around $170, but with the coupon it puts you right around a hundred bucks. Just sayin'

What do you think of the Badger 360? It allows gravity feed and then you rotate the tip and it allows the use of a siphon feed jar. Thoughts?

I havent been able to find any gravity feeds with removable cups yet. Anyone know of any?

Also what do you think of the airbrushes on ebay like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MASTER-G34-DUAL-ACTION...bayphotohosting

and this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Fengda-Gravi...id=p3286.c0.m14

I like the price but I question the quality of the spray from it. Anyone know anything of the no name brands on ebay?

I really want a gravity feed dual action brush.

If you want a gravity feed dual-action airbrush, any of the Badger/Iwata/Master ones you've mentioned will be sufficient.

I haven't used nor seen the Badger 360, but I've heard good things about it.

I have an Iwata HP-CS Eclipse that I love, it's gravity feed. Just doesn't have the same flow characteristics as my Badger 175 Crescendo; but it does have much better control for detail parts. Gravity feed means a lot less cleanup when you're done. Iwata brushes are really nice, they're manufactured to a higher level of precision that you can feel every time you use them.

Master airbrushes are essentially Iwata clones. Someone on this forum recommended them, and gave a link to find them. If I were buying a new one, I'd look at the brushes w/the larger paint cups. The smaller cup like the one you showed will go through paint rather quickly. The Master G22 or G23 look good, but I'm most tempted by the G46 w/three different removable cups in different sizes.

TCP Global Master Airbrushes

Thank you for your advice and guidance. It seems many of you think highly of Paasche so I ended up buying the Paasche Talon kit. I cant wait to get it and start learning and playing :D

by the way, what is the best type of moisture filter to get?

You want to get two. One that is off the regulator and one that is called an "inline moisture trap" that is connected to the air hose. Sorry about the blurry pictures. My camera batteries are dying.

Moisture trap regulator combination...can pick it up at any decent hardware store.

IMG_1389.jpg

This is a Pasche inline moisture trap.

IMG_1390.jpg

Ok cool. thank you

Why do I need both types of filters?

Because you're stepping down from a large tube to a small tube and because you're compressing air to a smaller hose, you'll get moisture. And with the trap on the hose itself, it will trap the excess moisture the other trap didn't get. You want to try to get the trap as close as you can to your air brush. Most inline traps will tell you to get it within 6 inches. Hope this makes sense. It's just one of those things it's just better to have.

• 1 month later...

Being umemployed and therefore, a cheap skate, my last airbrush was from Northern Tool. Its a copy of the Badger 250 single action. It was $8 plus tax. It will do most of my airbrush painting, but I don't do anything fancy. I now have 3 of these. Use one, thrown it in the paint thinner, hook up another, paint more, throw it in the paint thinner (or Acetone) jar, use another. Then clean all their interchangeable parts at once. When I only had one airbrush, I would paint 3 minutes, clean 10 minutes, spray another color, and clean again.

Ed Shaver (up above this post) may not have the prettiest face but he's right about cleaning. When you think your airbrush is clean, clean it again! This is especially true with acrylics.

The other secret of airbrush is practice, practice, practice. Even cheap acrylics from Michael's, etc. can be used to practice.

good luck,

Gary

can someone please give some thoughts on the above post? I am really anxious to buy an airbrush.

Also I found an Iwata Revolution CR (I think thats what it was) for 70 bucks. How is this AB compared to the others mentioned above?

Jared ,

I use a Paache H series , single action , perfect with the # 5 head attached for shooting model cars The kit comes with everything you need except for an inline filter (A must! ) and naturally an air supply and regulator . Cost online ... Between $ 44 and $59 dollars depending where you look . I have 5 of them.

Donn Yost

Lone Wolf Custom Painting