Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 Cannonball Run Build Thread!

disconovaman

LIGHTS! CAMERAS! ACTION! That's right folks we're going to the Movies!  

Welcome Movie Goers, Race fans, and Model car builders alike to the 13th annual Cannonball Run Community build!  

Our goal in this year's running is to pay tribute to ALL the Rolling Movie stars we love! Any vehicle that has appeared on film from TV Shows and Music Videos to the Big screen. We want you to build 'em right here!

So bring out your favorite TV Shows & Movies... and lets build some Film cars (with a twist) that you could drive Coast to Coast and win the Cannonball Run! 

PicsArt_12-09-12.25.43.png

The Rules:

The 2020 CBR theme is Movie, TV, and Film cars. Your build must be any vehicle (correct make and model) that have appeared on film. Background cars are welcome: as long as you can provide the details (screen still, movie title etc...)

"The Twist"...you may make necessary upgrades to be worthy of the trip and have the ability to get there the quickest... Your Movie & Film car has to be recognizable and retain the Spirit of the car from the movie. I'm leaving it up to the builder's open interpretation of the car they choose to build.

1.       The build can be either a new or started kit up to 25% complete. A re-builder or parts box special is okay too. 1/24 or 1/25. If you absolutely must do a 1/20 model we’ll likely bend the rules as we have before, but that’s the limit.

EXCEPTION TO RULE 1. If you have a previously started racer from a previous running of the Cannonball (SA or MCM) 50% complete or less, they are eligible to run this year as long as they meet the theme requirement. All of our previous runs are still available on either of the two forums. If you are going to do this, please be certain it was involved in a previous run. We will continue to implement  this rule each year, as the goal of this CBP was always to get people building and finishing models.

2.       Before starting please post a photo of your kit(s) or pile o’ parts. No limitation on type of vehicle or technology used. I have a feeling we’re gonna see some weird stuff this year.

3.       The car must appear to be street legal. Headlights, tail lights, license plate etc.

4.       As always, have fun and watch out for two priests in a red Ferrari.

That’s it for rules. The following is just FYI.

-          You may start a separate build thread for your build if you wish, but please keep the CBP thread updated.

-            The Movie/film car can be as eye catching or non-descript as you wish. Bright colors and/or racing livery will make you more noticeable to local law enforcement, but that’s your problem

-          Build time begins on January 1st, 2020, local time and ends at 11:59PM on December 1st, 2020, local time. That’s 11 months’ folks.

-          After the finish, we will create a poll and we’ll have the “race”, a public vote.

-          A few weeks prior I’ll start a completed builds thread, for posting up your work and we’ll work the poll from that thread. Take some GOOD PHOTOS! I cannot emphasize this enough, good photos are essential. No one has won this with crappy photos in poor lighting.

-          You may build as many models as you wish for this CBP but only one can be entered in the public voting poll after Dec. 2.

-          You can enter this CBP at any time up to 48 hours before the end date.

Special Thanks to Jantrix for the rules and the creative inspiration! 

Edited by disconovaman
Additional texts

I for one, will be looking forward to seeing this CBR unfold. As there have been countless movie and TV cars kitted over the years, so it should be easy to find something you are into. As far as making them Cannonball worthy, I suspect a lot of modern Challenger, Camaro and Mustang kits will be without engines this time next year. ? 

Edited by Jantrix

I'm in with the hooper firebird. I'll be keeping the colours but going for a version that might be used in a modern remake. Think of how they updated the mustang in gone in 60 seconds and you'll get a clue.  I think the biggest hurdle will be finding similar rims in a suitable size. I'll be using the revell 1/24 kit with a c1 transkit for the body mods. Undecided on the engine but it wont be the kit one

1978pontiac-firebirdtrans-am-hooper-recreation_100673889_l.jpg

2 hours ago, LouO said:

This makes me laugh every time I see this scene in Billy Madison.

One of my favorite scenes from this movie as well... Billy thinks he can be popular with a blue jean jacket, REO speedwagon t-shirt, and a black Trans-Am lol only he's about 10 years too late...lol

41 minutes ago, fivesuns said:

Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry. 

Great choice! What a Classic example of Car movie cinema with that Sassy Grass 440!

31 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

the hooper firebird. I'll be keeping the colours but going for a version that might be used in a modern remake

I often think about the plot to this movie as being well thought out... it's a great story that really does need to be re-made... I would hope that not too many Trans-ams get destroyed in the making of the re-make... Lol

There is some great forecasting going on here guys! It's got me thinking on which car to build myself... 

2 hours ago, larman said:

I am in with a Dukes of Hazzard/ Fast and Furious mash up

So I don't want to get you messed up here but have you ever heard of the "Stand up General"?

If not, it's actually a real screen used GL converted to mid engine! a blown 440 engine to be exact lol and it does wheelies! Kinda DOH folklore with fans, I seen the car in 04 at the reunions show... Just before CBS cancelled the show, this GL was set to appear on the Season premiere and it was filmed with that intention, like what couldn't the General do? And that isn't all... Wouldn't Dom's engine look Awesome in the back seat of the General?

wheelie_lee_7.jpg

120931299_dukes-of-hazzard-stand-up-general-lee-wheelstander-.jpg

sugeneral.jpg

Well I'm in.

I've got this sitting at home and I've been putting off building it for a couple years now.

I have enough parts to do 2 kits ( one Scale Production and one other resin body) and several of the AMT donor kits. So I'll do an "Eleanor" car but modified for the Cannonball race (bigger fuel cell and better seat etc), as well as an actual movie car)

I'll post pics of my goodies once home, but for now,  

f44d52fa2fcd0fab791858ff6de0d8-vi.jpg

amt1967shelbygt350-vi.jpg

10 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I'm in with the hooper firebird. I'll be keeping the colours but going for a version that might be used in a modern remake. Think of how they updated the mustang in gone in 60 seconds and you'll get a clue.  I think the biggest hurdle will be finding similar rims in a suitable size. I'll be using the revell 1/24 kit with a c1 transkit for the body mods. Undecided on the engine but it wont be the kit one

1978pontiac-firebirdtrans-am-hooper-recreation_100673889_l.jpg

This might help.15765660412155779994061410743525.thumb.jpg.72201e9efed04a6d22875fa4c4278839.jpg

11 hours ago, stitchdup said:

all the pics of the hooper car

I had forgotten those wheels were on the car.?  "Chrome spokes" I think we called them.... Chrome Steel wheels... Maybe you could use the centers from the Van wheels with larger outter rim to fit the tires and peice the two together for a modern look. Or maybe the wheels in the racecar trailer from Revell will work? they're not plated though... 

Edited by disconovaman

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

I had forgotten those wheels were on the car.?  "Chrome spokes" I think we called them.... Chrome Steel wheels... Maybe you could use the centers from the Van wheels with larger outter rim to fit the tires and peice the two together for a modern look. Or maybe the wheels in the racecar trailer from Revell will work? they're not plated though... 

Those wheels are in the Monogram/Revell 4x4 truck in 1/24 scale soo they'd be a bit bigger. 

2020 Cannonball Roster

bobthehobbyguy -Dom's Daytona Charger F&F6

LouO  -Billy Madison's 79 Trans Am

fivesuns -Dirty Mary Crazy Larry Dodge Charger

stitchdup. - Hooper's Trans Am

DPNM - Death Proof  Dodge Charger

MeatMan - Meeting Evil 72 GTO

larman - Dodge Charger Dukes of Hazzard

Jhedir6 - 67 Mustang Gone in 60 seconds

LL3 Model Worx - Daytona Spider Miami Vice

Oldmopars -Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. 379 Peterbilt

KWT -68 Charger Bullitt 

Belugawrx- Shely Cobra Gumball Rally (1976)

Bespoke - 66 Thunderbird Thelma & Louise

Here is the line-up as we turn the page, I will be updating the roster on each page just to keep everyone informed as we continue... We're beginning to see some Great projects already... I'd vote for any of these and they're not even built yet! lol! I've got a feeling there are many more to announce, Thanks.

Edited by disconovaman
Additional texts

I'm in.

17 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Hey Gang!

I'm going with the 72 GTO as seen in the movie "Meeting Evil".

I bought the kit at Ollies for a song earlier this year for the engine and didn't really have any plans to build it so this is perfect.

467381925_72GTOfromMeetingEvilDB.JPG.0ee6da45607049580255e7ee63cc3412.JPG

72 GTO at Gas Station.JPG

IMG_20191216_194817043.jpg

Man that kit is a rough one... I picked it up at Ollie's recently also. Hope yours was better than mine... I had some SERIOUS flash all over the body.

Good luck with it!