Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 Cannonball Run Build Thread!

disconovaman

14 hours ago, stitchdup said:

They would work for the smokey and the bandit car, but all the pics of the hooper car seem to show it on chromed weld style or truck style rims.

Yeah, they are the 8-spoke chrome truck-style.

snap3115.2.jpg

The wheels from the AMT '80s GMC truck kit would scale out to around 20" in 1/25 scale (since they are from the 1/20 kits originally), but they are 8 lug so you would have to modify the center hub.

So, I am going to do something a bit off the wall and out there. I am doing Sarge's truck from Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. In the show the truck was from another planet/dimension so it was crazy fast and could cloak (become invisible). So, a rather ambitious build as I will need a Freightliner FLD  and a 40 foot trailer. 

All the crazy stuff on the sides of the trailer and the mods to the cab will keep me busy for a while. I wanted to build this truck from the first time it appeared in then show last season. It was a "Star" to some degree as it was driven by the main character (Agent Colsen/Sarge--Clark Gregg) 

i001286260.jpg

7002613-mv5bmtm0ndu4ogutzgnmyi00nzu2lwe3ywmtzwvimwiwmjm3nji2xkeyxkfqcgdeqxvyndewotu0ode@._v1_sx1777_cr0,0,1777,999_al_ (1).jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Here's a Database of Cars in Movies that has all you know plus many small uses of like one frame. You should be able to find anything you like here.

thought I could use my TR4A I'm building and found over 100 movies a TR4A was used in  ... but I know I'll never finish this one. :(

1965 Triumph TR4A in Week End Movie 1967

image.png.1a947baf3696523730af1354aec2a702.png

Edited by Foxer

1 hour ago, Oldmopars said:

So, I am going to do something a bit off the wall and out there. I am doing Sarge's truck from Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. In the show the truck was from another planet/dimension so it was crazy fast and could cloak (become invisible). So, a rather ambitious build as I will need a Freightliner FLD  and a 40 foot trailer. 

All the crazy stuff on the sides of the trailer and the mods to the cab will keep me busy for a while. I wanted to build this truck from the first time it appeared in then show last season. It was a "Star" to some degree as it was driven by the main character (Agent Colsen/Sarge--Clark Gregg) 

i001286260.jpg

7002613-mv5bmtm0ndu4ogutzgnmyi00nzu2lwe3ywmtzwvimwiwmjm3nji2xkeyxkfqcgdeqxvyndewotu0ode@._v1_sx1777_cr0,0,1777,999_al_ (1).jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The truck in the top and bottom pictures is a Pete 379,  fortunately much cheaper than the spendy FLD kit.

Well, after thinking about attempting to recreate the 51 four door Hudson Hornet that Di Niro wheels around in his early days in The Irishman I may have stumbled upon a solution! Motor City Resin offers a 53 four door and by combining it with the 52 ragtop for the grill and hood it might be a go. My main question regards the quality of the resin products and their service... any thoughts would be useful. So, not entirely sure of my decision yet, there are other options...

Thanks for any comments, cheers Misha

For some reason unable to post photos from my iPad....

4 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

The truck in the top and bottom pictures is a Pete 379,  fortunately much cheaper than the spendy FLD kit.

Now that I look at it you are right. I did a bunch of research and they all said it was a FLC. Good to know and I had not purchased one yet. 

Edited by Oldmopars

8 hours ago, Misha said:

Motor City Resin offers a 53 four door

It looks like a quality product... I thought the movie car was burgundy but it looks black in the movie still...I think we're gonna see one fine looking model when it's finished...

My two choices are black as well, still waiting to decide...?

9 hours ago, Misha said:

Well, after thinking about attempting to recreate the 51 four door Hudson Hornet that Di Niro wheels around in his early days in The Irishman I may have stumbled upon a solution! Motor City Resin offers a 53 four door and by combining it with the 52 ragtop for the grill and hood it might be a go. My main question regards the quality of the resin products and their service... any thoughts would be useful. So, not entirely sure of my decision yet, there are other options...

Thanks for any comments, cheers Misha

For some reason unable to post photos from my iPad....

Everything I've gotten from Motor City has been immaculate, nearly impossible to tell from kit parts.

6 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Now that I look at it you are right. I did a bunch of research and they all said it was a FLC. Good to know and I had not purchased one yet. 

You could grab the AMT reboxing of the Italeri 378 and American style reefer trailer and have the whole thing. The 378 has the shorter grille but with the big bull bar up front it shouldn't be as noticeable.  You'll just need two flat tops from the 36" sleeper to replace the raised top on the big sleeper.

19 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

I'm in.

Man that kit is a rough one... I picked it up at Ollie's recently also. Hope yours was better than mine... I had some SERIOUS flash all over the body.

Good luck with it!

Flash isn't a big deal on the body of mine, but every other part seems infected with it. No prob though because I'm only really using the body, chassis pan, and interior tub.

Everyone has really great ideas and this should be a great year!

So just a tip...watch/pause your videos closely if you can. I discovered something interesting about Billy's car, it has what appear to be old school 5 spoke aluminum rims and larger tires in the rear. Whatever they are they certainly don't look like they're ready for an almost 3k journey. However, in homage of Billy the upgrades will be as close as possible. Another oddity is the silver/grey interior, which I just learned only came in the anniversary edition car.

madison 9987.png

Edited by LouO

3 hours ago, LouO said:

Another oddity is the silver/grey interior, which I just learned only came in the anniversary edition car.

I noticed the interior before... but it didn't occur to me.... what if it was an anniversary car the transportation department painted black for the scenes? that's crazy... That would explain those cool aluminum slots. Makes me think they replaced the anniversary wheels with the slotted wheels so you wouldn't recognize it as an anniversary car...

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

I noticed the interior before... but it didn't occur to me.... what if it was an anniversary car the transportation department painted black for the scenes? that's crazy... That would explain those cool aluminum slots. Makes me think they replaced the anniversary wheels with the slotted wheels so you wouldn't recognize it as an anniversary car...

According to someone on IMCDB who claims their dad owned the car, this is pretty much it. Also, apparently the stereo didn't work so they had a boombox in the back seat playing the music! I would think though the wheels and tires would be more playing to the idea that Billy still thinks that look is the "cool" thing.

Edited by Jordan White

19 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

According to someone on IMCDB

I've been researching this myself and I read that story too...  I found the guy and emailed him already...waiting for a response. anyways, he claims the car was already black when they got it but in fact it is a 10th anniversary car...

as far as the boombox story goes wouldn't they dub music into the film rather than using actual audio from the scene? The engine seems pretty healthy, I hear a choppy cam in the scene so I would think that it would kill the sound of the radio? But I'm a skeptic sooo...

6 hours ago, Bespoke said:

Hey guys,

I have never built for anything for a community build like this before, but i'd like to challenge myself and join for this year. I'm going with my version of Thelma & Louise's '66 Thunderbird if thats ok?

AMT66Thunderbird-vi.jpg

MainThelmaLouiseRoad-vi.jpg

remember it has to all the distance so having a close look at the grand canyon, lol

On 12/17/2019 at 4:18 PM, disconovaman said:

I had forgotten those wheels were on the car.?  "Chrome spokes" I think we called them.... Chrome Steel wheels... Maybe you could use the centers from the Van wheels with larger outter rim to fit the tires and peice the two together for a modern look. Or maybe the wheels in the racecar trailer from Revell will work? they're not plated though... 

I think your idea is what I'm going to do, I have the van kit so if the centres fit I'll use them in some resin rims. I think due to how the car arches are that I'll probably only go for 18 inch wheels so i can get it a little lower. Thanks for your advice gents

9 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I've been researching this myself and I read that story too...  I found the guy and emailed him already...waiting for a response. anyways, he claims the car was already black when they got it but in fact it is a 10th anniversary car...

as far as the boombox story goes wouldn't they dub music into the film rather than using actual audio from the scene? The engine seems pretty healthy, I hear a choppy cam in the scene so I would think that it would kill the sound of the radio? But I'm a skeptic sooo...

I could believe the boombox story... not for the actual film score ( inserted in post I'm sure) but to give Adam Sandler "mood music"  to act, I could totally see/understand that...

As far as the lumpy cam sound, I think it may have been edited in as well, as I don't know anyone (I actually do know 1) who would waste the time/energy or money to swap cams in a boat anchor 403... the 400 yea sure, but not the 403, wich I have reasons to believe this car came (under)equipped with.

On 12/16/2019 at 11:24 AM, disconovaman said:

The Rules:

The 2020 CBR theme is Movie, TV, and Film cars. Your build must be any vehicle (correct make and model) that have appeared on film. Background cars are welcome: as long as you can provide the details (screen still, movie title etc...)

"The Twist"...you may make necessary upgrades to be worthy of the trip and have the ability to get there the quickest... Your Movie & Film car has to be recognizable and retain the Spirit of the car from the movie. I'm leaving it up to the builder's open interpretation of the car they choose to build.

1.       The build can be either a new or started kit up to 25% complete. A re-builder or parts box special is okay too. 1/24 or 1/25. If you absolutely must do a 1/20 model we’ll likely bend the rules as we have before, but that’s the limit.

EXCEPTION TO RULE 1. If you have a previously started racer from a previous running of the Cannonball (SA or MCM) 50% complete or less, they are eligible to run this year as long as they meet the theme requirement. All of our previous runs are still available on either of the two forums. If you are going to do this, please be certain it was involved in a previous run. We will continue to implement  this rule each year, as the goal of this CBP was always to get people building and finishing models.

2.       Before starting please post a photo of your kit(s) or pile o’ parts. No limitation on type of vehicle or technology used. I have a feeling we’re gonna see some weird stuff this year.

3.       The car must appear to be street legal. Headlights, tail lights, license plate etc.

4.       As always, have fun and watch out for two priests in a red Ferrari.

That’s it for rules. The following is just FYI.

-          You may start a separate build thread for your build if you wish, but please keep the CBP thread updated.

-            The Movie/film car can be as eye catching or non-descript as you wish. Bright colors and/or racing livery will make you more noticeable to local law enforcement, but that’s your problem

-          Build time begins on January 1st, 2020, local time and ends at 11:59PM on December 1st, 2020, local time. That’s 11 months’ folks.

-          After the finish, we will create a poll and we’ll have the “race”, a public vote.

-          A few weeks prior I’ll start a completed builds thread, for posting up your work and we’ll work the poll from that thread. Take some GOOD PHOTOS! I cannot emphasize this enough, good photos are essential. No one has won this with crappy photos in poor lighting.

-          You may build as many models as you wish for this CBP but only one can be entered in the public voting poll after Dec. 2.

-          You can enter this CBP at any time up to 48 hours before the end date.

Special Thanks to Jantrix for the rules and the creative inspiration! 

Just to clarify the "twist" rule.... we can update the car engine/interior/tires/suspension as long as the car looks like the movie car?