Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 Cannonball Run Build Thread!

disconovaman

I'd like to join in with the Lotus Esprit S1 from The Spy Who Loved Me.

Lotus_Esprit_S1.jpg.54b71403ea4246046da34bc34d50ca0b.jpg

It'll be the Fujimi kit (currently on it's way from Japan). No "twist" plans as yet, but it'll be fun to take part & it's gonna look good on my shelf! ?

10 hours ago, Pete75 said:

I'd like to join in with the Lotus Esprit S1 from The Spy Who Loved Me.

Lotus_Esprit_S1.jpg.54b71403ea4246046da34bc34d50ca0b.jpg

It'll be the Fujimi kit (currently on it's way from Japan). No "twist" plans as yet, but it'll be fun to take part & it's gonna look good on my shelf! ?

So while we have to drive around lakes and find bridges you can just keep on going underwater, isn't that cheating? lol

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

isn't that cheating? lol

Lol! ??

Isn't the Cannonball Run Race just a General invitation to Cheat? Let's see?... Speeding... Disobeying traffic lights... Evading... Whatever it takes to be the first one to the finish line! ?

Now as far as our CBR goes, any "Blurred lines" that help your build be Awesome is gonna be what it takes get to the finish line! The Lexus engine in the Trans Am is a good example... ?

Some Movie Cars are Just Perfect without the Twist... (The Lotus). For me, it came down to choosing the project that could benefit from a little help. The BOD Camaro is beautiful but what I've got in store is gonna put it over the top.

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

So while we have to drive around lakes and find bridges you can just keep on going underwater, isn't that cheating? lol

I might have to take some impractical detours to find enough water, though! Real cheating would be the Back to the Future Delorean: you could finish before you started! ?

7 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Lol! ??

Isn't the Cannonball Run Race just a General invitation to Cheat? Let's see?... Speeding... Disobeying traffic lights... Evading... Whatever it takes to be the first one to the finish line! ?

Now as far as our CBR goes, any "Blurred lines" that help your build be Awesome is gonna be what it takes get to the finish line! The Lexus engine in the Trans Am is a good example... ?

Some Movie Cars are Just Perfect without the Twist... (The Lotus). For me, it came down to choosing the project that could benefit from a little help. The BOD Camaro is beautiful but what I've got in store is gonna put it over the top.

That is one reason I am building this Pete from another world, extreme speed and cloaking, cops can't stop what they can't see. 

Anyway, more progress. Lots of work left on the hood, just a rough coat to see what needs to be done. Another mock up for the record. 

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

3 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Excellent progress! you keep this up and you'll be finished before most of us even get started... ?

Don't worry about that. I just ordered the trailer and it has every bit as much if not more work to be done to it. Some of it will require me to have parts cut out on the waterjet. 

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

Excellent progress! you keep this up and you'll be finished before most of us even get started... ?

Yea, like me!  Between work and plumbing issues at home, I can't even sit down at my desk!!

It's making me crazy... but oh well, I have my first day off since Christmas tomorrow... so some building is gonna take place so help me!

Sarge's truck is looking great, nice work so far!

I spent a while disassembling the gluebomb that will be the Hot Rods to Hell Corvette...whoo.  It's been a while since I had to clean up one of these.

hrth-corvette-01.jpg.907081751b51458c2f013fac224c81c3.jpg

At first glance it doesn't seem too bad. Then you move in closer...

hrth-corvette-02.jpg.a8902579718c062b1a049c02e72aafc1.jpg

I'm pretty sure the previous owner painted this with a roller. Glue's not a whole lot better, but I could take apart most of what I needed.

hrth-corvette-03.jpg.a14a16fc7057f2eac02cfed094a79753.jpg

The only parts that seem to be missing are a door handle and a tail light bezel. I had previously robbed the intake manifold/FI for another project, knowing that this was getting 2x 4bbl carbs. One rear spring is busted, and the headlights are badly fogged, but I still think the biggest obstacle is going to be cleaning up the paint.

hrth-corvette-04.jpg.263b85d873cec352a88a193feac213bc.jpg

Edited by spencer1984

2 hours ago, Pat Minarick said:

Ok,  going to change up what I'm building.  I was able to find the kit I needed to do what I originally had planned to do. Going to get it next weekend.  Going with the other car in Up In Smoke.20191223_153021.jpg.0b9f42a8d357ca74c2349e2a44d2be67.jpg

Cool, that was a funny movie

Time to update the Roster...

2020 Cannonball Roster

bobthehobbyguy -Dom's Daytona Charger F&F6

LouO  -Billy Madison's 79 Trans Am

fivesuns -Dirty Mary Crazy Larry Dodge Charger

stitchdup. - Hooper's Trans Am

DPNM - Death Proof  Dodge Charger

MeatMan - Meeting Evil 72 GTO

larman - Dodge Charger Dukes of Hazzard

Jhedir6 - 67 Mustang Gone in 60 seconds

LL3 Model Worx - Daytona Spider Miami Vice

Oldmopars -Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. 379 Peterbilt

KWT -68 Charger Bullitt 

Misha - 51 Hudson The Irishman

Belugawrx- Shelby Cobra Gumball Rally (1976)

Bespoke - 66 Thunderbird Thelma & Louise

disconovaman - 67 Camaro Better Off Dead

Fat Brian- Transformers Mustang Barricade

64SS350 - Bumblebee Camaro

Sam I Am Vanishing Point Challenger

spencer1984 - Hot Rods To Hell 58 Corvette

streetmachine11 - Cherry2000 Mustang

Pat Minarick - Up In Smoke VW convertible

Cpt Tuttle - Defender Viper

Pete75 - Lotus Esprit S1 The Spy Who Loved Me

Grid_88 - Starsky & Hutch Ford Torino

89AKurt -  The Thomas Crown Affair 68 Ferrari

426 pack - Terminator/Nightmare Chevy Pickup 

Lunajammer - Road House Buick Riviera

Edited by disconovaman
Additional texts

It seems this years challenge has brought in more interest that last year. That is a great thing. I really hope everyone finishes this year, there are some really great cars/trucks being done. 

Now get to the bench and start working. Nobody wants to show up at the finish line all alone. :)

Keeping this ball rolling, I have made some progress. As you can see the hood is looking a lot better. The last picture I posted it looked like it was done by a first grader. It is still not perfect but it is closer to the final product. I also added details to the cab, the propane tank is on the side and the details, whatever they are is on the doors. I added the wings to the sleeper and the blacked out lights, don't know why, Hollywood. As you build something like this and look at the details, you find out Hollywood does some odd things with its props. Most of it only makes sense when it is going by on film at 60 MPH, but up close you wonder what they were thinking. 

1294229509_kqdlT5R6Tyqx2hxNDYDtQ.thumb.jpg.e277a7926583ae5f81d519079a0e3071.jpg

E2GLD0puRUSSq1MtvC3dng.thumb.jpg.63e0b8dda8b4b344a6c42893be51c928.jpg

55 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

Now get to the bench and start working. Nobody wants to show up at the finish line all alone. :)

I have a feeling that once the mail runs we'll see more builds off and running. ?

If only half the projects get finished it will still be a great run...?? I think we'll see even more adding to the Roster as the year continues on too.

You're inspiring me to get moving for sure! ?

Edited by disconovaman

15 hours ago, Grid_88 said:

Well I’d like to join in with the famous “striped tomato”.

The engine and trans will be from the Foose Ford FD-100 and I’m going to be ordering the correct wheels from fireball models pretty soon.

B71AF16A-D54D-4D4D-BDD4-2C2830282CF4.jpeg

02C286DE-7778-454E-BDFB-38543BBB625C.jpeg

giphy.gif.b2989dd55d40f3af03633ef0e2c03929.gif

1 hour ago, Oldmopars said:

It seems this years challenge has brought in more interest that last year. That is a great thing. I really hope everyone finishes this year, there are some really great cars/trucks being done. 

The Revell of Germany VW convertible is out of production, wasn't sure if I was going to find one. Have one waiting for me to pick up this weekend. Going to start figuring out if I can use the bumpers and other pieces from the Polar Light kit , then figure out with end to put the engine. 

Question for the Management. One of the rules for the build is that it must be street legal to include lights etc. In all the pictures of my truck the mirrors are removed. I guess they got in the way of filming. I will need them according to the rules, but they will take away from the "Authenticity" of the build. What do you say?

Wow Scott, that is looking great so far

2020Cannonball.jpg.c72ded68e67f0e0df412825bfc1532f8.jpg

Sorry about the HUGE pic..still getting used to the new chrome book/laptop

Getting started on the Shelby Cobra CSX 3243..thinned the windshield frame, sanded off the scoop flange and body mold lines.

I'm going to cut open the doors, side gills, and trunk, as well as cut in the square hood scoops as seen on the movie car (yellow tape)

Here we go !!

Edited by Belugawrx

Count me in for recreating the 1951 Hudson Hornet that De Niro wheels around in The Irishman. At first the thought of slicing and dicing one of the Moebius kits into a decent four door model was quite daunting. Then came across the resin body from Motor City and bingo, the hurdle disappeared!

So how does one turn an early 50s four door sedan into a Cannonball competitor? Searching thru the stash the answer fell into my lap, the Foose Caddy approximates the same wheelbase as the Hudson, bingo! My plan is to combine the chassis and running gear from the Revell kit into the Hudson. The chassis plate will require a splice with the front portion of the Hudson plate. I’m unsure if the Caddy interior can be fashioned to fit the Hudson, as the aim is to have a comfortable and classy interior for the Cannonball run. Colour will be black with a red or burgundy interior. 

Will be ordering the Motor City Resin body this week, hope it won’t take long to reach Vancouver Island. In the meantime plan on beginning the running gear and adapting the chassis plates. Also will look for the 52 Hudson ragtop for the front grill and hood as it most closely resembles the 51 model.

Looking forward to all the builds!

Cheers Misha

3A85BB80-851F-4AF1-809A-D769350E5BE5.jpeg

E8727B24-4A5F-4999-A245-81E39E9A17E7.jpeg

0969742F-2B9E-4343-8439-0A5559FBAF89.jpeg

BC689191-1D5E-4FD4-A594-95D949B69573.jpeg