Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 Cannonball Run Build Thread!

disconovaman

On a side note, I'd really, really, REALLY like to see someone do this 67 Corvette from Steve McQueen's "The Hunter." This was my first choice, but it was going to be too much legwork for me to round up the Revellogram 67 vette and five slot mags. Anyone? Anyone?

TheHunter_67CorvetteC2_McQueen.jpg

TheHunter_SteveMcQueen_1980.jpg

3 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

I think I'll be joining with Patrick Swayze's '65 Riviera from "Road House."

Riviera_StartingPic-vi.jpg

I've got to hand it to Round 2, they've really cleaned up these old kits. Parting lines are minimal and fit is very good. So after an evening of clean up, I started dry fitting. It all fit so well I just kept going until all the major parts were in place. Of course, the devil is in the details though, right?

Mockup1-vi.jpg

Too cool!!

2020 Cannonball Roster

1. bobthehobbyguy -Dom's Daytona Charger F&F6

2. LouO  -Billy Madison's 79 Trans Am

3. fivesuns -Dirty Mary Crazy Larry Dodge Charger

4. stitchdup. - Hooper's Trans Am

5. DPNM - Death Proof  Dodge Charger

6. MeatMan - Meeting Evil 72 GTO

7. larman - Dodge Charger Dukes of Hazzard

8. Jhedir6 - 67 Mustang Gone in 60 seconds

9. LL3 Model Worx - Daytona Spider Miami Vice

10. Oldmopars -Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. 379 Peterbilt

11. KWT -68 Charger Bullitt 

12. Misha - 51 Hudson The Irishman

13.  Belugawrx- Shelby Cobra Gumball Rally (1976)

14. Bespoke - 66 Thunderbird Thelma & Louise

15. disconovaman - 67 Camaro Better Off Dead

16. Fat Brian- Transformers Mustang Barricade

17. 64SS350 - Bumblebee Camaro

18. Sam I Am Vanishing Point Challenger

19. spencer1984 - Hot Rods To Hell 58 Corvette

20. streetmachine11 - Cherry2000 Mustang

21. Pat Minarick - Up In Smoke VW convertible

22. Cpt Tuttle - Defender Viper

23. Pete75 - Lotus Esprit S1 The Spy Who Loved Me

24. Grid_88 - Starsky & Hutch Ford Torino

25. 89AKurt -  The Thomas Crown Affair 68 Ferrari

26. 426 pack - Terminator/Nightmare Chevy Pickup 

27. Lunajammer - Road House Buick Riviera

Once again I've updated the Roster... With each update I'm more and more excited to see the participants showing up... We're seeing some Spectacular builds coming together... And I'm very honored to be a part of such an Awesome group of modelers...

On 12/31/2019 at 11:49 PM, Fat Brian said:

I wasn't able to find another GT500KR kit for a price I wanted to pay for it before the build started so I went with an 07 GT500. Everything in this kit is the same except for the hood and wheels and I've got other wheels coming anyway. I wanted to give a shout out to Firebird Designs, he was super fast and affordable getting these decals done.

20191231_232352.thumb.jpg.8f046b2c9fca14290e8d22a44cd72313.jpg20191231_232454.thumb.jpg.bd2bb2e75a3f072385f5215eed54ef0b.jpg

Too bad there isn't a Saleen kit for those years.  You could always do the GT500 from the Will Smith I am Legend movie.

Edited by vamach1

11 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Does the car have to be in raceable condition?

I don't have a lot of time, but I figure I could do the Thelma and Louise T-bird after it goes over the cliff.

A wadded up ball of tinfoil ought to be a pretty accurate representation.

Great idea! Or you could do the post-crushed Continental from Goldfinger! Which, amazingly enough was light enough to be carried by this little Ranchero. Ah, movie magic!

Image result for Goldfinger crushed continental

Heres the first mock up of the terminator truck. Since I can’t find any pictures of what’s under the hood I figured it should have a crazy hi HP motor. Right now it is mocked up with supercharged big block but I’m contemplating maybe throwing a turbocharged LS in it.

61D31730-F47E-4B77-83E3-262D381DC681.jpeg

B6DBCF0F-90D2-4A24-AD41-890BCCCCF62F.jpeg

While I may be moving along, this is only half of the build. The trailer is going to be very involved also. I have more done, I got the lights on the hood, lights on the roof, exhaust is made and the tubes routed. I got the glass in, the fronts are sprayed with some flat clear to look dirty. The rest of the truck will get dirtied up too. I have the cab all glued, the sleeper is attached and finished. I am almost ready to final assemble this and get to work on the weathering. Weathering will be fairly light as this truck is in good shape, but in the show it is very dusty and dirty. So, no rust or damage, just lightly used. 

I don't know what they were thinking with the exhaust, but the TV truck has those crazy double stacks, and in the show they are covered in a bronze/rusty color. I guess in Hollywood you just add stuff for no reason to make it look cool or from another planet. 

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

On 1/9/2020 at 5:20 PM, 426 pack said:

Heres the first mock up of the terminator truck.

Gonna look sweet with a Gloss Black paint job it already looks like the movie truck by the way it's sitting...

On 1/9/2020 at 5:36 PM, Oldmopars said:

I have more done

This is the Truck I want when The apocalypse happens, Nothing would stop this beast! 

On 1/8/2020 at 10:23 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Thelma and Louise

My favorite scene is when they blow up the tanker... quick fact... before production, originally Louise's car was 65 Impala...but somehow it wound up being the 66 T-bird. 

Edited by disconovaman

Man....  I'm foaming at the mouth wanting to start my build!! Seeing some EXCELLENT progress here!

I haven't even got to look at it with all the craziness in my life these last 2 weeks.

That, and I'm still in the process of building my wife a Van that she "has to have"...

But that's getting sidelined!

I've acquired a few of the parts I needed to really make this thing come together finally.

A big thanks to 1930fordpickup, Belugawrx, and 89AKurt!  Fine group of guys right there!

Here's to Monday, fingers crossed!

Gonna stick my toe in carefully with a version of the Smiler Grogan '57 Ford Fairlane 500 Club Victoria from It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. I just got the kit today and don't have a clear plan yet. It will be repowered, but the new engine will have to have decent power, but get reasonable fuel economy. Won't have the stock wheel covers like the movie car because it will need 4 wheel disc brakes. Stock 14 inch wheels won't fit over decent sized discs.

image.jpg

i020256.jpg

playlist020110718151058.9885.jpg

54 minutes ago, Rodent said:

It will be repowered, but the new engine will have to have decent power, but get reasonable fuel economy. Won't have the stock wheel covers like the movie car because it will need 4 wheel disc brakes. Stock 14 inch wheels won't fit over decent sized discs.

? I love the attention to practicalities! No such considerations in an amphibious Lotus!

Edited by Pete75

13 hours ago, Rodent said:

Gonna stick my toe in carefully with a version of the Smiler Grogan '57 Ford Fairlane 500 Club Victoria from It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. I just got the kit today and don't have a clear plan yet. It will be repowered, but the new engine will have to have decent power, but get reasonable fuel economy. Won't have the stock wheel covers like the movie car because it will need 4 wheel disc brakes. Stock 14 inch wheels won't fit over decent sized discs.

image.jpg

i020256.jpg

I have to mention that the car passing the Imperial appears to be a Club Sedan, but other shots on the road and "sailing right out there" are of a Club Victoria (hardtop). They used at least 3 cars in the filming. 

14 hours ago, Rodent said:

image.jpg

i020256.jpg

Get you a 5.0 Coyote motor from one of the new Boss Mustangs with a six speed transmission to help with fuel economy. There are a couple places that do them in resin. The Revell 2014 Boss Mustang will have the engine and big wheels and brakes to borrow.

7 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Get you a 5.0 Coyote motor from one of the new Boss Mustangs with a six speed transmission to help with fuel economy. There are a couple places that do them in resin. The Revell 2014 Boss Mustang will have the engine and big wheels and brakes to borrow.

That is one of the directions I am thinking of going. I have a  Boss kit that I need to dig out and see how the engine fits. The 57-64 frame is odd, and may not have room for exhaust manifolds / headers for a wide DOHC engine. Thinking of an FE with a 6MT as well. 

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

That is one of the directions I am thinking of going. I have a  Boss kit that I need to dig out and see how the engine fits. The 57-64 frame is odd, and may not have room for exhaust manifolds / headers for a wide DOHC engine. Thinking of an FE with a 6MT as well. 

That's true, the new Ford motors are very wide. If that won't fit you could rob a Foose truck for the modern 427 and wheels and tires, I can't remember what transmission is in there though. 

Nice progress so far! Cale, funny to see another Terminator truck...I have one of those on the bench as well, though mine's based on the Revell Street Pickup from the mid-1990s. Looking forward to seeing how yours comes together!

I've made some more progress on the Hot Rods to Hell Corvette: the engine cleaned up pretty nicely, and with a 2x4bbl setup it should have plenty of go. There were no air cleaners in my parts box that worked, so I tried something new for the intake. The bells are craft eylets, and the domes are some #150 mesh by Wave, cut as circles and formed over the head of a ball pin (the same type I usually use for 8-ball shifters). The result is a bit fancier than I had planned to go on this particular build, but I like the results and will keep it in mind for the future.

hrth-corvette-05.jpg.d8a7e621ff3580916f727c2f8a359fa4.jpg

hrth-corvette-06.jpg.4b598b7fba79719aefade4612f3a62c0.jpg

In other good news, Purple Power has done a great job returning the body to a workable condition!

hrth-corvette-07.jpg.7eacaa88d94f29b59e662b2801c168c5.jpg

Brake fluid didn't even touch the paint on the frame, so I washed it off and transferred it to the purple pond now that the body is done. I'll spend some time cleaning up these few remaining flecks (either where parts were glued, or the paint was extra thick) and removing the side badges and mold lines while the hood, trunk, interior, and frame soak.