Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 Cannonball Run Build Thread!

disconovaman

I got a little more done on Sarge's truck. The trailer I ordered came in, but it was too long and ribbed on the outside. I had to cut out 8 scale feet, then turn the box inside-out. I have a bit of it mocked up. I cut the details on the sides with a waterjet. 60,000psi will cut styrene in nothing flat. I still have a ton more to do to the trailer and I found out that there are some details on the truck I need to correct. But, I am moving forward. 

IMG_3846.jpg

IMG_3848.jpg

IMG_3847.jpg

Edited by Oldmopars

3 hours ago, marv13 said:

Im also building the 69 torino from Need for speed, eleanor and the FF1 Supra

So are you declaring the Charger as your entry?

That looks great and if so, I'll add you to the Roster...  I'm very proud to say that will make 30 builds on the Roster so far folks and that's a great amount of participants for this year's running... I hope to see em all at the finish line too!

Everyone is making such great progress the builds are looking great.

I can finally get a start as my main kit arrived today. It is not great for someone who builds at the speed of a glacier like me to give everyone such a head start but finding the kit proved more difficult than I thought. Can't wait to get into it now, how long have we got?

20200122_220116-vi.jpg

I have got the dash pad removed, and now have to back fill and putty.20200121_104435.thumb.jpg.1f14cf02df1aa7fa72e929bf8d4b41a8.jpg

Have to cut out the vents, reduce the number by 1 and move to where I have the black dots marked. Also plan to make some "bezels" for the vents to give them the right height/shape... 

20200121_104349.thumb.jpg.2d1cb25607fa41a398841e268509abae.jpg

The body is nearly ready for the 1st coat of primer, hoping I can get that done by the weekend.

Cutting out the headlights is proving to be a pita... but I figured it would.

Hopefully I'll have more of an update soon.

This is Random but I figured I'd ask if anyone has seen this film since we're kinda on the topic. "Roadhouse" starring Willam Defoe & Judge Reinhold from 1984. It was filmed in 82 and redistributed with another title. It's been re-titled a few times "Two Guys & A Car","Highway 66" and "Roadhouse 66" Total car movie... it's on YouTube if anyone is interested, it has some cool cars in it too...

Screenshot_20200122-182025~2.png

22 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

This is Random but I figured I'd ask if anyone has seen this film since we're kinda on the topic. "Roadhouse" starring Willam Defoe & Judge Reinhold from 1984. It was filmed in 82 and redistributed with another title. It's been re-titled a few times "Two Guys & A Car","Highway 66" and "Roadhouse 66" Total car movie... it's on YouTube if anyone is interested, it has some cool cars in it too...

Screenshot_20200122-182025~2.png

Looks like some cool chicks also... lol

3 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

Looks like some cool chicks also

Kaaren Lee (St.Elmo's Fire) as Jessie... pretty much never heard from again and Kate Vernon (still acting today)as Jessie's sister Melissa.

Typical 80’s Movie story line...the main characters (the underdogs) take on a bunch of local bullies, get cheered on by the entire town, win the girl; Everyone lives happily ever after... Well... almost

I'd never heard of it until It was on Turner Classic Movies the other night... I like 70's/ 80's movies for the cars before they were really old.  

17.jpg

11 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I'd never heard of it until It was on Turner Classic Movies the other night... 

17.jpg

This is why I love TCM. You never know what you're going to get (unedited and with scholarly context provided). My fiancee has Firestick and she chides me, "If you want to watch a movie, just call it up." To which I tell her that this is how I discover new things. I'd never in a million years look up half the interesting movies I discover on TCM, and this might be one of them.

1 hour ago, spencer1984 said:

Nice work so far, looks like it'll be spot-on to the show's car! I'm guessing you'll be going with the rectangular quad headlights?

That is the plan, but I'm not certain how I'm going to replicate them just yet.

Making them should prove fun...

I've actually watched your videos where you built yours Daytona a few different times.

I've actually been watching your YouTube for years lol.

You do phenomenal work!

OK this part is not for this build but I will be using the same on the firebird. This is the rear independent suspension from motobitz. Its very delicate to work with but will be the correct width. I managed to break one of the lower mounts just by picking up the part, and the driveshafts were missing from it I'm using their front suspension too and its even more delicate but has no brakes. I'm still trying to find wheels that look similar and so far the vantasy centres in some larger rims is winning

DSC05796.JPG

DSC05797.JPG

Edited by stitchdup

I'm slowly and quietly tapping along with the Road House 65 Riv. Chrome parts detailed.

ChromePartsPainted.jpg.104d4b831800cafcb7d7d8db7d239539.jpg

Chassis was primed with rust colored primer then given a liberal wash straight from the bottle with a thick brush. I'll do more touch up on that. I started using the wrong wash product at the back of the chassis, that's why it's pretty dense.

861455492_ChassisinPrimer.jpg.2fd15969c168c4305090cc1ea577e364.jpg

840214180_ChassiswithWash.jpg.67ffe7fd2cab64dedb38c143b1c15e9b.jpg

Using reference pics from the net, I used Adobe Illustrator to help make detail decals for the dash. Rather than redraw appliances, I just cut and pasted photos of the faces. The gauges are vector. Not accurate but I made them bold so when shrunk down you can still make the out a little. Side trim panels are redrawn and vector.

DashArtIllustrator.png.24fe0b4ae092b0a9715a6038fb31d072.png

DashDecalsPrinted.jpg.576e815b4a99787357a664380eba4002.jpg

I've applied most of them to the interior. I'll explain the headaches when I get pics.

Oh wow what a great theme for this years cannonball, and it’s off to such a great start!!! Love the builds so far, sarges truck is so cool! Also really looking forward to seeing the Viper Defender come together!!! That’s one I’ve wanted to do for awhile, currently building the roadster for the show! 
I’ve been away from the forums for awhile, had a few dramatic life changes in the last 12 months, and started studying again, so less time for models. Still been pottering away when I can, I’d love to join in on this awesome group build, and should be able to make it in 10 months. This would be my entry and the best way to make it coast to coast without the interruption from law enforcement...

Banes Tumbler from The Dark Knight Rises.

DB33BB44-863A-47D9-AAFC-0D9912A37313.jpeg.e4f70f9c6929fc66fd80c631ef48ced7.jpeg

E85DCE79-A1DB-40E3-9CF9-345B3832581C.jpeg.46e251432780c84ea77f0a4de86de45b.jpegI did apply some primer (black & grey) to it a year ago before losing the instructions and boxing it. Hopefully that’s still ok to proceed with?

9C49369A-E4A9-40DD-BA56-C190F5A17514.thumb.jpeg.e184fb88d7905420adb3dd0e63c26824.jpeg

Even comes with an angry driver figure....

C76F2E24-AFFB-4E18-84FB-0922109210CB.thumb.jpeg.e01f67d1f0ccd74fbabec7709eee765e.jpeg

Really looking forward to seeing more progress!!!

Ash

19 hours ago, disconovaman said:

That engine looks like it's ready to hang on a cherry picker and be lowered between two fenders...? Nice details!

Agreed, nicely done!

Mike, those details on the Riviera look great - my folks bought a '65 new and still have it in the garage, so that car has always been a personal favorite.