Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 Cannonball Run Build Thread!

disconovaman

5 minutes ago, eldiablo78 said:

You can tiny tool chest some luggage small one, a small can of oil maybe .

Yep ..I'm thinking battery, jack, toolbox, fuel pumps, and the tire will take up all that room for sure? 

As far as luggage...it's a 33 hour race, nobodies changing their underwear on this ride across country lol

6 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

Yep ..I'm thinking battery, jack, toolbox, fuel pumps, and the tire will take up all that room for sure? 

As far as luggage...it's a 33 hour race, nobodies changing their underwear on this ride across country lol

The new record set in the fall is 27 hrs 25 minutes, beating the 2013 record by over an hour.

14 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Look at you pulling off a slick black paint job... I've gotta do it to the Camaro I'm dreading it too. probably gonna take me a few times to get it right...

That there is no polishing at all, just Duplicolor primer and Tamiya paint with Mr Super Clear gloss. Hopefully I'll get it decaled and in a final coat of clear by this time next week. I still need to build the light bar and push bar, I'm hoping to find a kit piece for the push bar in particular. 

The last time I painted black I wasn't at all satisfied but with time running out I didn't have time to start over... I took it on to the show anyway and it placed first in the show's theme class. I was startled...

It was planning on a repaint but afterwards I just said fugedaboudit lol...

Screenshot_20200405-214042~2.png

10 hours ago, disconovaman said:

The last time I painted black I wasn't at all satisfied but with time running out I didn't have time to start over... I took it on to the show anyway and it placed first in the show's theme class. I was startled...

It was planning on a repaint but afterwards I just said fugedaboudit lol...

Screenshot_20200405-214042~2.png

Black is tough, I wish I had put a second coat on but I didn't want to add another step that could jeopardize it. Thankfully there's no bare metal foil to do so after the decals I won't have to handle it much.

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

I wish I had put a second coat on

It looks good, my problem with black, mostly with Police cars, white and black seem to be the hardest to panel paint... (The reason I wasn't happy with the 57.) If I build another one I'm gonna use panel line separation wash. Also thin linen gloves keep smudges and smears off the car while you're in final assembly stages (just a tip for you), especially on black... it shows everything...

I am having a problem with squirrels right now, but my wife told me to work on a model, and I just couldn't argue with her, so I did what any good husband would do and said "yes dear".

So I  have all the vynil roof texture sanded off and the roof glued in place. I also bit the bullet and worked out an idea for the hood. The AMT kit did not have the correct hood for the movie car. The more I looked at the modern Challenger hood the more I went hmmmm... So the pics below show what I did to get a slightly more modern look to the "correct for the movie car hood". I still have a lot of filling, sanding, and rinse and repeat on both the hood and roof but am pleased with my rough draft.

20200406_134107.jpg

20200406_144155.jpg

20200406_151145.jpg

20200406_181713.jpg

20200406_181726.jpg

18 hours ago, gasser59 said:

That's a really nice blue for a Cobra.

Thanks Brad ! It was a $2.00 bottle from Michaels

3RHsBNd.jpg

And of course I couldn't wait to clear it.. so I did,.. with Alclad Aqua Gloss Clear

VMTeMES.jpg

Svn8R7y.jpg

It changes in the light just like the movie car ?

7HeYxmz.jpg

This next shot is before clear..

3FmfROX.jpg

After

feMy9Om.jpg

There are a couple hangers I'll sand out with 1000g and hit it again..

6 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

This next shot is before clear..

Wow! This is outstanding! To see it change colors in different lights is impressive. I actually think the "without clear" finish would be cool on say a 65-66 Chevy shop truck or even something exotic... Looks Awesome with the clear. I'm seriously debating how I'm gonna vote, it's gonna be tough!

Love that blue !

I wanted to see if I could incorporate the modern dash into the old interior.  So I started hacking up the dash and this is where I am at. I think if I rotate the dash a bit it will take up the gap, and use the classic wheel of course. Again, roughed in. 

Now....about the seats....hmmmm. 

20200411_134317.jpg

20200411_134448.jpg

20200411_135607.jpg

20200411_134558.jpg

20200411_134549.jpg

20200411_135628.jpg

4 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

Love that blue !

I wanted to see if I could incorporate the modern dash into the old interior.  So I started hacking up the dash and this is where I am at. I think if I rotate the dash a bit it will take up the gap, and use the classic wheel of course. Again, roughed in. 

Now....about the seats....hmmmm. 

Nice work on the conversion Sam..just a bit of tilt forward at the top, yer right.. I think the bolster seats with window and seat controls on the sides look cool

keep it going ?

8 minutes ago, Belugawrx said:

Nice work on the conversion Sam..just a bit of tilt forward at the top, yer right.. I think the bolster seats with window and seat controls on the sides look cool

keep it going ?

Thanks, I rotated the dash and tacked it into place. I think it will work. The bolstered seats were way to wide for the tub, so I cut the area off that had all those nice controls in. Imagine them relocated. ?

They do fit now.

20200411_142829.jpg

20200411_142832.jpg

20200411_182012.jpg

3 minutes ago, Sam I Am said:

Thanks, I rotated the dash and tacked it into place. I think it will work. The bolstered seats were way to wide for the tub, so I cut the area off that had all those nice controls in. Imagine them relocated. ?

They do fit now.

I've had to do the same thing to modern seats in older kits, the tubs can be a bit narrow. 

I'd like to throw my hat into this ring, if I may, since it coincides with what I was going to do with a kit anyway.

This kit, in fact.

2020-04-13_05-21-33

(No, not Tommy Boy. Can't stand that movie...)

On the Joss Whedon TV show Angel, the title character drives a black '67 GTX convertible. Why a vampire would want a convertible in Los Angeles is beyond me, but whatever. They make good use of it: chasing down demons and cult members, and even using it to travel to another dimension at one point.

latest?cb=20090902184143

angelfk5.2604.jpg

i356711.jpg

I'll need to cut off the top, obviously, and find the correct wheels; Angel's car has black steelies and dog-dish hubcaps instead of the rally wheels in the kit.

As for Cannonball-ability, well, it's a Hemi... but of course they can only run at night unless someone besides Angel drives. Drawbacks of being a vampire...

7 hours ago, markbt73 said:

I'll need to cut off the top, obviously, and find the correct wheels; Angel's car has black steelies and dog-dish hubcaps instead of the rally wheels in the kit.

I believe Fireball Modelworks has a set of steelies and hub caps that may work for you.