Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 Cannonball Run Build Thread!

disconovaman

Making a little progress on the 73 stang. Man this is a frustrating kit. The towers for the rear axle set to far toward the rear of the chasis. So I cut them out and used just the rear differential and leaf springs and made an axle housing for it. Her is what I have so far. Will add a couple of pics that show what I had to do to the chasis.

20200911_212310.jpg

20200911_212258.jpg

20200912_211500.jpg

20200912_211628.jpg

Edited by cheyenne93

On 9/11/2020 at 9:39 PM, cheyenne93 said:

Man this is a frustrating kit.

Don't let those problems distract ya... It's looking good and I like the wheels and tires you have chosen for it. They look just like the movie car, sits like it too. I'm looking forward to seeing color on the body. We have more than a few Black cars in the line up... including my Camaro that I really need to get moving on ?.Soon, sooon.. Lol Nooo, I'm not nervous....?

Welp...Another Cannonball I'm going to have to drop out of. Atleast the reason this year isn't a bad one...

I finally was able to get my hands on a clean Dart to start a build on. So all my free time and money will be going towards it. There's always next year! Best of luck to everybody, and happy building!

On 9/21/2020 at 9:01 PM, Belugawrx said:

Really like how that came out Brian ??

21 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Alright! Barricade! I call it Nicely done indeed...The Decepticon Mustang will go down in history as the best movie villian car ever.

Thank you, I'm glad it turned out alright. 

Well, it's about time for me to get serious and get into final assembly. I still have polising, BMF,  decaling, and a few things to finish painting before that happens. But today was a fun filled parts painting day... I'm feeling good about the progress I'm making now. Cameras are Rolling guys, lets finish those movie cars!!! ???

20200923_190757.jpg

20200923_193106.jpg

Edited by disconovaman
Add photo

Here is the list of Qualifiers so far, with just over two months to build, there is still plenty of time to finish and get to the starting line.

??????

?10. Oldmopars -Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. 379 Peterbilt.

?19. spencer1984 - Hot Rods To Hell 58 Corvette

?25. 89AKurt -  The Thomas Crown Affair 68 Ferrari

?13.  Belugawrx- Shelby Cobra Gumball Rally (1976)

? 3. fivesuns -Dirty Mary Crazy Larry Dodge Charger

?33. avidinha-    Mystery Men Cadillac

?40. Keollifornia Kid- Black Beauty.  Green Hornet (2011)

?16. Fat Brian- Transformers Mustang Barricade

On 9/23/2020 at 11:45 PM, disconovaman said:

Here is the list of Qualifiers so far, with just over two months to build, there is still plenty of time to finish and get to the starting line.

??????

?10. Oldmopars -Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. 379 Peterbilt.

?19. spencer1984 - Hot Rods To Hell 58 Corvette

?25. 89AKurt -  The Thomas Crown Affair 68 Ferrari

?13.  Belugawrx- Shelby Cobra Gumball Rally (1976)

? 3. fivesuns -Dirty Mary Crazy Larry Dodge Charger

?33. avidinha-    Mystery Men Cadillac

?40. Keollifornia Kid- Black Beauty.  Green Hornet (2011)

?16. Fat Brian- Transformers Mustang Barricade

Thanks for posting this, I was going to ask how many had completed their entry.

Right On!

So today was a good day for assembly... Really having a good time building this kit... No problems with any of the fitment, including the LS swap. It's pretty much falling together...

I couldn't resist doing a photo comparison since I had some bare rallys on hand. Just for fun...

Screenshot_20200926-212656.png

20200926_212941.jpg

20200926_154438.jpg

On 9/23/2020 at 7:22 PM, disconovaman said:

Well, it's about time for me to get serious and get into final assembly. I still have polising, BMF,  decaling, and a few things to finish painting before that happens. But today was a fun filled parts painting day... I'm feeling good about the progress I'm making now. Cameras are Rolling guys, lets finish those movie cars!!! ???

Good stuff!

Got back on mine today.

Since I'm using the Chevelle chassis, which has the interior floor pan molded into the chassis pan I batted around the idea of using the Chevelle interior but there were a lot of fit issues.

So I decided to cut the pan from the GTO tub to see if it could be fitted to the Chevelle chassis and it was a pretty good fit.

I'll try to get a little done each day and should be done in time.

I'm including some pics of the engine mockups below as well. I had to do some minor cutting to the tranny tunnel to get the tranny to fit but less than I expected.

I'll have to fabricate a oil pan sump and some engine mounts as you can see.

72 GTO Cut Interior Mockup.jpg

72 GTO Interior Mockup w_Seats.jpg

72 GTO Wheel Mockup.jpg

72 GTO Engine Mockup.jpg

72 GTO Engine Mockup Oil Pan.jpg

The Spy Who Loved Me - Lotus Esprit S1

Hi guys. Slow progress for me, but a milestone reached in (finally) finishing the interior. All brush painted with plenty of masking tape. I’ve included a reference pic of a standard S1 cabin that would’ve been fairly close to the one in the movie, although the film footage was altered in post-production making the fabric appear charcoal grey: I chose to straddle the fence with my colour choice!

1800313721_esprit-s1-int(2).jpg.1c01880481c04d4e8df85366644523da.jpg

2087281433_esprit-int(4).thumb.jpg.c678b63da5612c439cff3689f45cfcac.jpg

I’m going to finish up the chassis next because the body has just been dunked in a brake fluid bath prior to starting again!! Keep up the great work folks ?