Model Cars Magazine Forum

VRM 427 Cobra decals - will we ever see them?

They have been listed on the website for what seems like four years as coming soon.  I'm pretty sure I can say we will not see them this decade but as for the next one I am not very hopefully either.  Does anyone know when we might be able to buy them?

IMG_6525.PNG

The decal biz is tough. I been involved in two different aftermarket decal companies. My current biz has hundreds of different decals......many of which have been copied and currently for sale on ebay by a ......less than honest seller. Multiply 200 decals but the many hours each took to create then have someone steal them. VRM may not have a problem with theft but even if not it's a huge investment in time and money not knowing if you will ever sell enough to recover your cost. 

For about $4000 we can get some printed at Chartahraf with in six months. But who wants to put up the cash???

3 hours ago, Dave Van said:

The decal biz is tough. I been involved in two different aftermarket decal companies. My current biz has hundreds of different decals......many of which have been copied and currently for sale on ebay by a ......less than honest seller. Multiply 200 decals but the many hours each took to create then have someone steal them. VRM may not have a problem with theft but even if not it's a huge investment in time and money not knowing if you will ever sell enough to recover your cost. 

For about $4000 we can get some printed at Chartahraf with in six months. But who wants to put up the cash???

I get that there are up front costs and I'm not sure if other decals have been released by V-R-M but this set only had a minor mixup from what I've heard but that was a long time ago so it's just a bit frustrating.  I also get that the copy cats take away business but at least people on this board are a tad smarter and can tell originals from the shady sellers on  Ebay.  BTW - thank you for what you do without any fanfare and positive feedback ratings.  The best things are not always the easiest to find but I think everyone on the board is glad you make great products.

21 hours ago, Dave Van said:

I have paid up to $20.00 for a custom set that I wanted made but to me worth it. Of course when I do that I will get 3-4 done.  For the cost and time a lot of these guys take I appreciate them so to me its worth it. On some colors you need to double up so buying an extra set also helps them out in my books. I have used from various makers and never had a problem. As for decals from printers, unless they do it themselves you can see the difference in crispness, and blocking i guess you would call it. And Dave I think we all know about a certain person who keeps changing his name.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys - I have been very lazy with getting decal work done.  Job changes at my day job and doing a bunch of work at a place in Maine where I have a cottage have taken up a bunch of time that I used to spend doing artwork.

The 427 Cobra (and 250TR) sheet had a minor problem with the stripes, and I am printing corrections before I release them.

The correction artwork is done, and it is attached to the artwork for the Mopar MOD Tops.  The MOD top art is complete, but after receiving a dealer book with original MOD material I have decided to punch up the colours in the art to match the originals.  Two out of three are complete, and I am hoping to have the third one done and back from Cartograf by the NNL East.

Hopefully, this means that the MOD sheets, 427 Cobra#1, and 250TR sheets will all be available at the NNL.

25 minutes ago, VRM said:

Sorry guys - I have been very lazy with getting decal work done.  Job changes at my day job and doing a bunch of work at a place in Maine where I have a cottage have taken up a bunch of time that I used to spend doing artwork.

The 427 Cobra (and 250TR) sheet had a minor problem with the stripes, and I am printing corrections before I release them.

The correction artwork is done, and it is attached to the artwork for the Mopar MOD Tops.  The MOD top art is complete, but after receiving a dealer book with original MOD material I have decided to punch up the colours in the art to match the originals.  Two out of three are complete, and I am hoping to have the third one done and back from Cartograf by the NNL East.

Hopefully, this means that the MOD sheets, 427 Cobra#1, and 250TR sheets will all be available at the NNL.

Super!

When I was building CSX3006 Steve was kind enough to send me a Big Block sheet he had on hand (with the problem) and some extra stripes so I could piece them together and finish my build. 

They are great decals!!  These are applied straight on the paint with no clear over them.

DSCN3464-vi.jpg

Edited by afx