Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reference needed: Earnhardt's '98 Daytona winner

ismaelg

Hello,

Inspired by David Thibodeau and Erick Gerena, I'm about to start building my very first NASCAR model for a local forum buildoff. David's work is just amazing and I am not even considering attempting to reach that level. Just a clean fun build. The subject chosen is Dale Earnhardt's '98 Daytona winner. Yes, I know everybody and their grandmother has built it but I was (am) a big Dale Sr. fan. I thought I was a big NASCAR fan, but when Dale died, I realized I was a Dale Sr. fan. Haven't really watched a NASCAR race since that day in 2001.

I have found tons of pictures of that car from the sides and front, but I haven't been able to find detail pictures of the rear spoiler and it's brackets, the trunk with the fuel cell, hoses etc, or the interior. Can someone point me in the right direction? Either of the actual car or a similar one from '98?

Thanks,

There are alot of photos on www.jaski.com I saw plenty of closeups of 98' Monte Carlo rear spoilers etc. I don't about trunk open shots of the fuel cells but there are loads of photos of WINSTON CUP CARS from a number of different years. Alot on the web site to search through.

JARRNO88

Hello,

Inspired by David Thibodeau and Erick Gerena, I'm about to start building my very first NASCAR model for a local forum buildoff. David's work is just amazing and I am not even considering attempting to reach that level. Just a clean fun build. The subject chosen is Dale Earnhardt's '98 Daytona winner. Yes, I know everybody and their grandmother has built it but I was (am) a big Dale Sr. fan. I thought I was a big NASCAR fan, but when Dale died, I realized I was a Dale Sr. fan. Haven't really watched a NASCAR race since that day in 2001.

I have found tons of pictures of that car from the sides and front, but I haven't been able to find detail pictures of the rear spoiler and it's brackets, the trunk with the fuel cell, hoses etc, or the interior. Can someone point me in the right direction? Either of the actual car or a similar one from '98?

Thanks,

:angry: what am I , shop liver?.....mano at least give me some credit for starting the nascar buildoff

in PR......mano!!!! I am ,Iam ........just kidding.

Erick was the one who inspired me to go to the closet and dust off my bill elliot model

that I had for 16 years.

and David, hes ok... <_<

If you feel up to detailing a bit the MCG No Bull detail set has reference sheet and goobs of little details from engine bay, roof flaps, trunk details window bracing......etc. About 100 or so photo etch pcs. About $40 US worth it if you want to do some detailing.

Thanks Chris,

I was looking at that. My question is: How much of that would apply to the '98 car? That set is for the 2000 car I believe.

Thanks,

Izzy,

If I can find them somewhere I have pics of that car on a disk.... The rear braces are Bracket style pieces not solid rod like most of the teams in that time. They were also painted black! I can tell you that of course Dale's interior was grey on that car. That is when the Childress team started sharing chassis with Mike Skinner. The lowe's monte team car. Dale also always ran a Mustang "old school" seat in that car. You can easily make that accurate using the kit seat and this Tuturial in my fotki...

http://public.fotki.com/Daveyracer/faq__sp...e_earnhardt_sr/

Other than that he had pretty much what is in the kit. Take a look at my Peter Maxx detailed car here:

http://public.fotki.com/Daveyracer/superde...atlanta_nnlnas/

It is a 2000 car but still the 98 car was not much different chassis wise.

I got your PM about decals... I would email Mike Herman at Mike70ss@aol.com and see if he has any of the sets to do this particular car.

Hope this helps you....

DaveT