Model Cars Magazine Forum

General Music Discussion?

JollySipper

6 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Oh, this one ....

one of the best songs I've ever heard.

another cassette quickly eaten by the car deck.

Crank it up folks! 

I got to cite this on one of my gun boards yesterday. 

There was a thread about that USAF helicopter that was shot at a couple days ago. Someone posted, "Stop flying your government aircraft over the hill country folks in rural areas!." 

To which I replied, "Especially over Steve Earle's place." B):lol:

On 8/14/2020 at 6:58 AM, Snake45 said:

To which I replied, "Especially over Steve Earle's place." B):lol:

Perfect ? It's interesting on the track that they used keyboard rather than actual bagpipes.

there are a few albums of Steve's that made long road trips special during my younger days.

guitar Town, Exit 0, Copperhead Road ? This during a time I was mostly into completely 

the opposite type of music. There was something about his music/lyrics.

(Jazz Butcher Conspiracy)shared billing

Nothing earth shattering about them but they did make for some fun while other bands where very busy navel-gazing.

Surprisingly tight, sharp witted group. Like a joke you had to be there for.

Question..... Who else here was there at the time? 

Yah, no..          Cult of the basement anyone?

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

Another one for those of you looking for something different from the usual JAZZ, you should give this a listen.

There is some fun music happening on it if you listen. Classical and standard jazz music formed my neural connections. Everything after that has been an attention to finding

those who break the rules, or those who just did enough different (like on this album.) to expand my ears.    Enjoy?and don't get stuck in a rut.  

https://youtu.be/3fmSe24mED4 more if ya like.

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

• 3 weeks later...

A hometown band from MPLS. Seemingly they could not catch a break, or was it by design?!!

Will never forget their performance on SNL. I think by then they knew they weren't meant to be pop

stars but for the local fans the meltdown was inevitable anyway, we had all seen those antics before.

Such a good tune off a pretty OK album.    ( CAN'T HARDLY WAIT! )

• 2 weeks later...

So, Napster sold out! My online streaming service used to be Rdio until it went out of business, then Rhapsody until Napster bought them out.... Now it's currently Napster where I stream. They've however been bought by a UK Company (for $70M) in what they are calling a "reverse take-over". I guess that's where the smaller company absorbs the larger one..... Funny thing, about a month ago Napster changed it's home page to say that if you signed up, they would donate to the Charity of your choice. Now that it's sold, they don't have to honor that! I guess it's up to the new owners to do the donating.......

I just hope they don't change the service........

I grew up on hair bands and heavy metal. Still like all of that music, and newer heavy metal. While working in Europe, a guy turned me on to Sabaton. Awesome music and a fun way to learn some history.

Edited by ksnow

I was an army brat and spent time in Europe early 1970s. There were American bands popular there that never hit big in USA. For instance Bloodrock was a band out of Texas that was known stateside for one song. They did better in Europe and I had all their albums, Euro releases. I came back to states the end of 1972 and was surprised nobody hardly had heard of them. 

Edited by Tom Geiger

28 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I was an army brat and spent time in Europe early 1970s. There were American bands popular there that never hit big in USA. For instance Bloodrock was a band out of Texas that was known stateside for one song. They did better in Europe and I had all their albums, Euro releases. I came back to states the end of 1972 and was surprised nobody hardly had heard of them. 

I like it! Thanx Tom., I'll have to dig deeper into this outfit.

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

I heard of them--D.O.A.   Very creepy song. 

On 6/16/2020 at 4:04 AM, STYRENE-SURFER said:

What a great album...

I've been Proging out lately as usual. Any Van Der Graaf Generator fans out there?

This one is quite poppy and delivers just a taste of the direction their music would go.

They where so weird and different at the time and I had nothing on the radio to compare them to.

I would have loved to see them play something like this back in 1975. 

For the fans, I found this ....

Killer is still one of my all time favorite Van Der Graaf Generator tunes. 

Big VDGG fan here. Saw them at Reading Rock Festival in 1971. Have you tried any Peter Hammill solo albums? Can heartily recommend The Silent Corner Of The Empty Stage and Chameleon In The Shadow Of The Night.

steve

On 9/17/2020 at 1:08 PM, Earl Marischal said:

Big VDGG fan here. Saw them at Reading Rock Festival in 1971. Have you tried any Peter Hammill solo albums? Can heartily recommend The Silent Corner Of The Empty Stage and Chameleon In The Shadow Of The Night.

steve

I dug threw my vault of prog on my music server. No Peter Hammill stuff, and I was sure there would be some on it.

Will defiantly try to find some to ad to my collection. Very difficult to manage a huge amount of files (metadata) to make things searchable.

This Boston band put out a couple great albums. Very different from what was typical of the time, try it. (1968-70)

THE EYES OF THE "BEACON STREET UNION"....

Recitation/My Love Is 0:00

Mystic Morning 4:09

Blue Avenue 10:04

South End Incident 13:04

Green Destroys The Gold 17:04

Prophet 20:09

The Clown Died In Marvin Gardens 24:44

Clown's Overture 23:36

Angus Of Aberdeen 31:53

Speed 39:12

405 41:15

A Not Very August Afternoon 43:30

Brown Hair 47:20

1 hour ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Very difficult to manage a huge amount of files (metadata) to make things searchable.

You should get a Napster account, man.... $10 a month, zero ads, and you can stream all you want. I've got to be listening to mine maybe 2 or 3 hours out of the day everyday..... The last they showed, they were up to 70 million songs!

25 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

You should get a Napster account, man.... $10 a month, zero ads, and you can stream all you want. I've got to be listening to mine maybe 2 or 3 hours out of the day everyday..... The last they showed, they were up to 70 million songs!

Yah I've thought about that. 

Being rather old school I rather like having local music files that have been obtained legitimately.

years of collecting and ripping LP's and CD's (yes some of those were bootlegs)? 

But, for the most part it is a matter of having my own library (sometimes a work in progress)

and the ability to listen while off the grid with no pay plans or down times.

I've been on SPotify Premium for a couple of years now. Cheap, unlimited playlists, very searchable, no ads. And its rare that I search for something and get stumped.

I still like buying CDs though. Heck, just bought a proper CD player for my truck. Of course, it has satellite and bluetooth as well, but still.

• 2 months later...

I guess I'm all over the place with the music I listen to..... Here's a look at some of my listening history from Napster. Seems on December 6th I listened to Tea Leaf Green (jam band), then Black Sabbath (classic metal)........ The next day I went from Thelonious Monk (bop jazz) to Korn (alt metal) then listened to The Cardigans (dream pop)....

listening.jpg.f6cfce78ef6c4f36015ffc900ed95580.jpg

That's a pretty eclectic mix! How diverse is your listening?

I'm all over the place w/ what I listen to... mostly use Amazon Music and YouTube...most recent listens incl. Pink Floyd albums ('Dark Side of the Moon', 'The Wall', The Division Bell'),  The Beatles ('Rubber Soul', 'Revolver', white album), Chris Stapeton's new album ('Starting Over'), Miley Cyrus' new album ('Plastic Hearts'), the Drive soundtrack, Moby's 'Play', some 90s Tom Petty and recent Pearl Jam....

I've got 30+ years of CDs that I've ripped, in the past used them all out of iTunes but in recent years moved them to Google Play then YouTube Music, and Amazon Music (since the CDs bought from there are streamable from there).