Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Pro Street El Camino

Bills72sj

I am just now posting this mid build.
1970 El Camino body Jimmy Flintstone (resin).
1968 El Camino chassis, interior tub, windows, rear bumper and tail lights.
1970 Monte Carlo front bumper(correct for El Camino) engine, seats and dashboard.
1967 Pro Street Chevelle wheel tubs and Pro Street tires.
1970 Chevelle grille, head lights and SS stripes.
Tandem trailer fenders used as inner fenders.

The '68 El Camino interior floor pan has been trimmed and joined to the '67 wheel tubs.

(1)After 2-3 days of fabricating (which isn't my strong suit), I have made the front of the bed from 5 pieces including chunks from a Laborghini Countach dashboard.

(2)I also made the rear panel for the interior. The Jimmy Flinstone resin body comes with neither.

The rest of the interior is going to be a mix of '68 El Camino and '70 Monte Carlo parts.

I spent the 2 days trimming and fitting the interior such that it will be happy with the windows.

I still have to make a filler panel between the cowl and the base of the windshield.

Painted and mocked up the interior. Added touches with chrome Molotow pen.

Selected the deep dish rims. I have a whole box of wheels but not very many for tires this wide.

I drilled out all 32 holes in the rims to make them more realistic.

I plan on dressing up the plain, smooth centers with some spinners from my parts box.

Converted spare car trailer fenders into front inner fenders.

Fabbed up some gap filler plates for the wheel tubs to the inside of the bed.

I was almost done with the 2nd one when I broke it in half. GRRRRRR!

I ran into a snag. It seems I no longer possess the two front '68 El Camino spindles for the suspension.

No spindles = no front tires. I sent a PM to one member and he is going to send me a pair.

WOO! HOO!

IMG_0732[1].JPG

IMG_0733.JPG

IMG_0766.JPG

IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
12 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Cool project... I have a Hot wheels of this model... Well almost the 1/64th is a 71.  There are alot of different paint schemes you may get some ideas from... https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2386202.m4084.l2632.R2.TR7.TRC1.A0.H0.XHot+wheels+elca.TRS0&_nkw=hot+wheels+el+camino&_sacat=222

20200720_094650~2.jpg

Quite awhile ago I did do a 1/25 version of a Hot Wheels El Camino. It was a fun project,

12 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Wow! What a Beautiful Hot wheels representation! That is just fantastic! I know this one will be just as fabulous! Keep up the great work!

Anthony, Thanks. I just ordered a ProMod engine for it. I am getting antsy to get back to work on it.

• 11 months later...
4 hours ago, Steve H said:

You had me at “pro street”. Any more progress on this one Bill?

Steve, slowly. Redoing the sides caused the fragile trim pieces around the tbs in the bed to come loose. I am having to fab new ones from I-beam Plastruct.

Lots of fine tuning to get everything to fit nicely.

• 2 months later...

After months away from the bench, I am back at it. I started detailing the rear rims after raiding the parts box for some inners. I have bed far enough along now I can move on to the frame. I have the multi-piece front suspension mocked up which allowed me to clearance the inner fenders. The frame horns were a bit too long so I trimmed them and test fitted the Chevelle grille and the Monte Carlo bumper. I have also been trimming the wheelie bars so graciously donated by a generous friend. I am quite pleased on the length and width of them. It only took minor notching to get them into their new home. The gas tank looks like it is going to fit with a little sanding here and there. Since I am going with a blower on the BBC, I need to rethink my front accessory drive. The Monte engine has A/C which makes it too complicated. I'll figure out something.

Chassis mock up.JPG

• Like 2

It is not too bad. You will have to do some sanding or filing here and there depending on your choice of chassis. It does require some custom fab work for the front to of the bed. Also a stock AMT 68 El Camino rear bumper is not a "Bolt on".

Edited by Bills72sj