Model Cars Magazine Forum

All I Want Fer Christmas....

SfanGoch

Just saw a story on the news about gifting (Agh! I hate that word!) your kids with experiences instead of presents. Some examples are packaging up some passes for the local movie theater with a jar of popcorn , haircuts, ice cream parties or gift certificates for the bowling alley or local skating rink.

"Joyous Festivus to you, son! Your mother and I are gifting you experiences so you can celebrate this wondrous, secular and non-specific holiday period without fear of shaming by your peers within your particular demographic age group."

"Huh?!?"

"We have enrolled you in courses on how to forage for herbs, sing like a songbird and making cheese. Isn't that wonderful?"

"I wanted an Xbox."

"We'll also teach you how to start a garden..."

"Why? We live in an apartment."

"...and how to make top hats."

"I wanted an Xbox."

"Saving the best for last, we've created a coupon book full of chores you’ll tackle — with a smiling face — when asked. Have you anything to say?"

"Yeah, you suck. I still want an Xbox."

Nick you take the Ferrari

I'll help you out and take the girl so your wife don't get mad about her in the car with you.

33 minutes ago, Cornpatch said:

Nick you take the Ferrari

I'll help you out and take the girl so your wife don't get mad about her in the car with you.

That's a generous offer. She looks more high-maintenance than the car. 

7 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Just saw a story on the news about gifting (Agh! I hate that word!) your kids with experiences instead of presents. Some examples are packaging up some passes for the local movie theater with a jar of popcorn , haircuts, ice cream parties or gift certificates for the bowling alley or local skating rink.

"Joyous Festivus to you, son! Your mother and I are gifting you experiences so you can celebrate this wondrous, secular and non-specific holiday period without fear of shaming by your peers within your particular demographic age group."

"Huh?!?"

"We have enrolled you in courses on how to forage for herbs, sing like a songbird and making cheese. Isn't that wonderful?"

"I wanted an Xbox."

"I wanted an Xbox."

"Saving the best for last, we've created a coupon book full of chores you’ll tackle — with a smiling face — when asked. Have you anything to say?"

It never ceases to amaze me at how people will try and ruin a perfectly good holiday with their stupid and ridiculous take on starting new traditions.  Particularly, when there was nothing wring with the old traditions.  Watching our kids open their Christmas gifts when they were young was priceless. 

8 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

"Huh?!?"

"I wanted an Xbox."

"I wanted an Xbox."

Awww, I want to learn to make cheese! :rolleyes:

Steve

I fugure that the high maintance would ruin me in the first 2 weeks. Than she'd leave me because I was broke, no big deal it's happened before. As I say oh well life goes on. Was just trying to do a friend a favor, didn't want to see him get in one of those 3 way love triangles. than see both of them leave him.

38 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

... haven't cared too much for Ferrari since the 250 GT

I haven't cared too much for them since encountering engineering wizardry like a timing chain falling into the sump when you remove the water pump (and almost no supporting service data available at the time to head off that particular fiasco), roller-bearings on suspension control arms (nice and precise and low-friction when new, but did you ever hear of grit and water on the roads, guys?), and a power window regulator that was made with a bazillion tiny ball bearings in a tube, driven by a worm screw. Open it up to repair it, expecting to find a spiral-overwound cable like sane engineers might use (as usual, no factory service data was available at the time), and half the bazillion little balls fall into tiny black holes, never to be seen again. Porous engine block and wheel castings. Some factory welds under the beautiful skins that looked like drunk chimps with stick-welders did them. Timing belts that are too fragile to withstand a sub-freezing engine start. Convertible tops that self-shred at over 70 MPH. I'll leave it at that. Don't get me wrong...I think they're wonderful and fascinating artifacts. But I'd much prefer an old Porsche if I actually needed to get anywhere.

A mechanic friend of mine showed me the set-up he used to remove spark plugs for a 1980's Ferrari. It involved one 3/8th ratchet handle, 3 extensions of various lengths, two u-joints and a sparkplug socket. A homemade Thin Wall socket as nothing off the shelf would fit in the spark plug holes. This explained why he was now a Honda mechanic. 

Here's what I want for Christmas....

I want this wonderful time to be like most of the others I've experienced.

Far away family is coming around and we'll meet soon. Always joyous, a great event.

This time of year in my area it gets dark at 16:00, read, way up north.  Snow on the ground. Home is lit inside with a decent and warm lighting.  The fireplace is on.

I love the dimmed lights at home, and trimmed table, spruce branches and some small figurines the wife has from her Grandmother...they're small angels, in a beautiful white porcelain.

The wife and some family gals are polishing up the silverware, and cleaning and shining up the crystal glassware. The place smells good.  Some real candles too on the tree, no electrics.  We light these on Christmas Eve, after church.  Great and traditional meals being prepared.

Folks around that you love, family...your own history is looking you in the eye.  This is a great thing.  Nowadays you get older and after a while, you realize you and your generation are the next ones to go, you've lost family and nature says you're next.  I hope this to be true.

I'm grateful, and thankful for good health and some good breaks in life, and a good wife and that we support each other, good and not so good times....just like we promised.

I want this to continue, yes.

I want also, that our country continues to be strong and true.

Edited by Mike Williams

On 12/18/2019 at 2:56 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Awww, I want to learn to make cheese! :rolleyes:

Steve

I could give you a killer Fumunda tutorial...

Get on some Dickies work pants, come with me to work and run in circles and climb up and down all day long in 95°+....

You shall learn how to make cheese very quickly.