Model Cars Magazine Forum

74 Honda Civic

Cool Hand

This is a special build, this make of car was the first I owned and learnt to drive in.

Was so happy when I seen Hasegawa release the kit and even happier when I started to build it, bought back so many fun memories of the journeys and good times I had in that car.

pj9YlS5.jpg

Paint is Tamiya TS-47 chrome yellow.

t3fH1Pb.jpg

srQH7yf.jpg

LxJpHpA.jpg

The yellow squares with letter L in the front and rear windows are what we call L plates, meaning Learner driver and must be displayed by law for the first six months after obtaining the Learners permit/license and must be accompanied at all times with a passenger who has a full license. 

w7rdBs3.jpg

Interior paint is TS-6 matt black and XF-flat black for the floor

U0jXxOv.jpg

68sJhGX.jpg

5vjbnLw.jpg

60UYd0G.jpg

CjMD4KN.jpg

sAix5Oi.jpg

yyC2KRy.jpg

Unfortunately thats all I have is memories, as I didnt take any photos and cant remember every detail about the car. Thats why there is no number plate and havent figured out what side mirrors to use.

Edited by Cool Hand

Thanks for the replies, so cool to hear many of you are familiar with this year of the Civic. Great little car.

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Were the models in Oz essentially direct-import models from Japan ? 

Sorry, I cant answer that as I dont know.

1 hour ago, charger74 said:

now because of you i want to buy that kit !!! 

Thats the reason for sharing builds, inspire and motivate others. Its an excellent kit.

Edited by Cool Hand

Oh man, it's going to look like I'm photo-bombing your topic, because I started driving with a '77 CVCC!  I got this kit, as well as the CVCC kit.  You did a really clean job on yours, and very good photography too.  More important, you BUILT IT! ?

This was soon after my dad got it, no license plate on the front yet.  4 speed, bias-ply tires, no a/c but dealer added accessory that robbed the glovebox.
757692012_610c18b9d4_o.jpg.126fb27dc3c348bc5aba1ced9040eb40.jpg

Still had it 1985 when I built my house.  By then I added a stereo with 2 speakers (original was AM/FM only and 1 speaker), tried an Ansa muffler which rusted out after only two years, and radial tires.  Traded in for a new '87 Honda Civic Si, built the Tamiya kit with some modifications.
2648094739_128b46acef_o.jpg.f3801de9198cf52bcbf1be8e9d1dfef2.jpg

I still have dealer brochures!
5257370055_853beaf16d_o.thumb.jpg.5e37b07e9796869ddedf57aff4c58e81.jpg
5257980370_b2cb64d5d1_o.thumb.jpg.7d1e92e98969bf40ea93eb8960b6d963.jpg
5257980768_b7d7395534_o.jpg.b7e2a768afff7c3dd2da629f99b61535.jpg

Looking at both kits, I need to modify for American market by making LHD, change the hood intake scoops, bumpers, mirror, sidelights, turn signals.
IMG_8243_Fotor.thumb.jpg.5338fdc19e480fd3cd1eca78fbbdfc08.jpg

The RS is going to become something else.
IMG_8768_Fotor.thumb.jpg.5edd34ae567953b7571d7ad3d67beaf1.jpg

Anyway, sorry to trespass on your lawn, but you sparked my interest again.  Yours is the first completed project on this forum, so congratulations!  I'll save everyone from my stories. ?

Appreciate the additional comments thanks.

5 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Oh man, it's going to look like I'm photo-bombing your topic, because I started driving with a '77 CVCC!  I got this kit, as well as the CVCC kit.  You did a really clean job on yours, and very good photography too.  More important, you BUILT IT! ?

This was soon after my dad got it, no license plate on the front yet.  4 speed, bias-ply tires, no a/c but dealer added accessory that robbed the glovebox.

Still had it 1985 when I built my house.  By then I added a stereo with 2 speakers (original was AM/FM only and 1 speaker), tried an Ansa muffler which rusted out after only two years, and radial tires.  Traded in for a new '87 Honda Civic Si, built the Tamiya kit with some modifications.

I still have dealer brochures!

Looking at both kits, I need to modify for American market by making LHD, change the hood intake scoops, bumpers, mirror, sidelights, turn signals.

The RS is going to become something else.

Anyway, sorry to trespass on your lawn, but you sparked my interest again.  Yours is the first completed project on this forum, so congratulations!  I'll save everyone from my stories. ?

All good Kurt. Thank you very much for sharing some of your story with a Civic, and il be sure to save some of your pics and add them to my build folder.

Glad I sparked your interest and hope it will get you going with your build, which I look forward to seeing. Hope you will do a wip thread, So we can follow along while you build.

I have another kit which my plan is to tune it up as I might or could have done and im sure I could get some ideas from you.