Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jo-Han Maverick-Dyno Don's Ride

mustang1989

On 2/19/2020 at 10:56 PM, slusher said:

Looking forward to that!

Thanks Carl! 

Well gang....progress FINALLY. I've been hard at work on this bad boy and have not posted anything due to trying to hit the bench a little harder. Here she is in the primer stage:

H5kWgP.jpg

and after I let that all dry out I hit it with color (Tamiya Pure Red dispensed from the can and shot through the AB) the next day. Didn't have to do ANY sanding to the primer coat.

A couple of mock ups once the color coat had dried....couldn't help myself but to do this but have to admit that Mavericks look a little out of the ordinary in red:

Was able to tuck the rear tires a little further inward as well. Still gotta raise the front of the car a smidgen and bring those front tires outward a little. I'll get there......

Beautiful! If I ever build this car--and I WANT to--it'll be in overall red, with just Dyno Don's name on the lower sides, before it got the full paint job applied. There's one pic of it as such in the Dyno Don book and it looks REALLY sharp to me that way. 

Come to think of it, one of the very first models I built on my return to car modeling in the mid '80s was the JoHan Maverick. I did it as a street freak, painting it Model Master Stop Light Red and swapped in the SOHC from the Comet. I don't want to strip and rebuild it, as it's an important relic of my modeling history, but I might consider putting the Dyno Don decals on the lower body, if I can find suitable ones, and letting it "pass." Hmmmmm. 

I have a rebuildable glue bomb in the Snakepit, but it's earmarked to become Fast Eddie's first one in yellow with the simple blue stripes. I already have the Slixx decals. 

Mavericks are getting hard to find. Even glue bombs are going for insane prices on ePay. I just managed to get together enough parts to build a nice promo. Dunno if I can round up enough stuff to do a good Pro Stocker again. 

5 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

WOW Joe! The red base color is very beautiful and this color fits like a glove on the Maverick body! Nice job too on the back tire adjustment, this will be a killer looking drag car. Can't wait to see the decals on the body. Cheers, Francis

Thanks Francis! Great to have you tagging along bud.

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Beautiful! If I ever build this car--and I WANT to--it'll be in overall red, with just Dyno Don's name on the lower sides, before it got the full paint job applied. There's one pic of it as such in the Dyno Don book and it looks REALLY sharp to me that way. 

Come to think of it, one of the very first models I built on my return to car modeling in the mid '80s was the JoHan Maverick. I did it as a street freak, painting it Model Master Stop Light Red and swapped in the SOHC from the Comet. I don't want to strip and rebuild it, as it's an important relic of my modeling history, but I might consider putting the Dyno Don decals on the lower body, if I can find suitable ones, and letting it "pass." Hmmmmm. 

I have a rebuildable glue bomb in the Snakepit, but it's earmarked to become Fast Eddie's first one in yellow with the simple blue stripes. I already have the Slixx decals. 

Mavericks are getting hard to find. Even glue bombs are going for insane prices on ePay. I just managed to get together enough parts to build a nice promo. Dunno if I can round up enough stuff to do a good Pro Stocker again. 

Thanks Rich! I got the decals that I have from Ebay. Dude you're right about the Maverick prices. Just crazy!!! Ut5oc9.gif I would love for somebody to start manufacturing Maverick kits again. There were a few from different manufacturers for a while a loooooong time ago. There are resin copies of this kit on ebay for around $40. Ol' JC (afx) brought up the fact that the Revell Thunderbolt chassis will work with a little tweaking earlier in this thread. Too late for me though …...I've already went with the Mustang chassis which also fits very well with this car after shortening a tad. If I didn't have so much work tied up in modding the Stang chassis I would've went for it.

This is that Tamiya Pure Red that I was talking to you about over on the other Johan Maverick thread.

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks Francis...….Man.....I really goofed not looking at my references well enough beforehand. I've been pondering over the course of the last few days how to best approach that white roof and I think I've got it figured out now. In any case I trudged ahead with some decals.

Here's where we're at now with the 3rd Mock Up:

Edited by mustang1989

Ok gang....the first of the corrections has been accomplished. Where I cut the decals to fit what I thought was a little bit better and turned out being too much above the wheel openings has now been corrected. I've gotta touch up the interior headlining a little bit now but that's small stuff. The more I looked at this the more it bugged me.

Before...paying close attention to the white area above the wheel openings...

And after the corrections....Next up....the roof.

3oDSZ8.jpg

4 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Good job Joe! It wasn't a big flaws but I understand how you feel about this (we always focus on the small defect and forgot all the good work done...). Do you plan to add clear coat all over the body to protect the decals?

Thank you Francis for the encouragement on this one. And yes sir....you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be glossing this bad boy when it's all said and done. default_biggrin.png

Edited by mustang1989