Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jo-Han Maverick-Dyno Don's Ride

mustang1989

18 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Hey Joe!! Looking great. I just about have the  98  LS1 TA engine complete.  For some reason it just seemed like this engine took a long time to build up. A lot of trimming, filing, sanding for good fit of everything.

Thanks Mike. Gonna go check your ride out.....

17 hours ago, slusher said:

Very realistic detail Joe!

'Preciate that Carl. Good to have you along buddy.

On 7/7/2020 at 4:24 PM, Mopar - D said:

Joe your shifter looks awesome!

19 hours ago, GeeDub said:

I agree.  There is so much detail in that small package.  Amazing.

On 7/7/2020 at 7:43 PM, Nazz said:

That is one great looking interior!

9 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Glad to see you back on the Maverick Joe!  The shifter looks nice on the transmission tunnel and the interior is heading in the right direction my friend!!!

Thanks you guys.

Test fitted the AMT Mustang shock towers this morning. I think this is going to work fine but I still have the radiator core support and firewall to go. :whistle:

You've got my attention Joe.  I'm curious to see how you progress on the changes you're making to the car so that big ol' motor fits up.  You're saving me time for sure when I get to that point & can see that the towers fit up beautifully.    Cheers, Tim

23 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Joe your inside fenders fit up nice. Glad to see everything lining up for you.  

Thanks Dan!! 

18 hours ago, Codi said:

You've got my attention Joe.  I'm curious to see how you progress on the changes you're making to the car so that big ol' motor fits up.  You're saving me time for sure when I get to that point & can see that the towers fit up beautifully.    Cheers, Tim

Thanks Tim. I'm approaching all of these obstacles very carefully. I'll keep you posted. 

This morning I got her standing on her own. Rear tires will be going in a smidgen to give her the proper look but this is going to be the ride height. All this time I had to find a way to lock the front suspension ride height in and I finally was able to do this by drilling small holes in the front of the frame and installing locating pins. Worked like a charm:

I worked a lot on the firewall this morning by modifying to work with the Mustang shock towers. I'll post progress of this on the next update. Meanwhile I also cut out the battery box/ pedestal on the R/H shock tower panel. Battery is located in the rear of the car so no battery box was needed here. Plus I needed all the room I could get with that big ass 427 in that engine bay.

Before....

and after:

On 7/10/2020 at 11:14 AM, Mopar - D said:

Joe your ride height looks beautiful! Nice work on the battery box removal to. 

Thanks Dan. I'm glad to see you hanging around again man. One o' deez days we may actually even make it back to another show together.

On 7/10/2020 at 6:28 PM, Deuces WiId said:

Looking pretty good.  I'm a Chevy guy but I've always had a thing for these old Mavericks and for some odd reason Pintos. 

That Liberty shifter is trick. Well worth all the trouble you went through to get in the car. 

I'm a Chevy guy as well Dick so I know what you're saying. I've always had an eye for these old Mavericks. The shifter.....man....the shifter. I thought I was going to go stark ravin' nuts putting that one together. 

This week has been slow and it usually seems to be that way towards the end of alot of my builds. All the planning that I've been doing for the last 4 months all comes together at the last part it seems. Sometimes I'm hesitant to move too fast as a screw up at this point would mean alot of re-work. 

I've been working on the firewall area, removing the already installed transmission mount and moving it to the rear a little more so that the engine and transmission will set into place properly.  That meant popping the mount loose, sanding and repainting the chassis (which I had to separate the front subframe from the main part of the chassis to gain access to the areas for sanding and the repaint) and reassembly of the whole chassis again. I also worked on the rear part of the chassis so that I could get the proper rear tire alignment with the body (in other words...suck those big fat rear tires inwards a little bit towards the center of the car to keep 'em from sticking out too far from the wheel openings). 

I received my tachometer from Ted's Modeling Marketplace and while it is the perfect size and diameter, the tachometer decals that came with it were NOT. Really frustrating why a manufacturer (Detail Master) would put a smaller tach in a package and then throw decals for a MUCH larger tach in the same bag. Really PO'd about that but I'll make something work. 

Most of the efforts moving forward will center around the engine bay and all the parts fit as well as the engine detailing. I was really surprised when I actually thought about it that I'm around 80% complete with this bad boy. I've been on it since late December/ January so it's been a long road but I'm well pleased with how it's turning out so far. 

Thanks go out to all who continue to follow this build, give input and encourage me along the way. She's been a tough kit to work with folks.

Joe I know what you mean about hesitating the finishing up and afraid of screwing something up and having to rework it. I know that you’re going to have a great finish on this one!  I’m looking forward to meeting up with you again at another model show to. Maybe Modelmeana in October?

9 minutes ago, Mopar - D said:

Joe I know what you mean about hesitating the finishing up and afraid of screwing something up and having to rework it. I know that you’re going to have a great finish on this one!  I’m looking forward to meeting up with you again at another model show to. Maybe Modelmeana in October?

Thanks Dan. That sounds halfway doable if the Covid Monster aint still hangin' over us. lol 

Edited by mustang1989

Your build looks nice, and please dont take my comment as negative criticism. I grew up with my father being a Ford and Mercury drag racing historian. Dyno being his favorite racer.  Few things I caught

The tach should be on the dash, The gauge you see on the restored cars cowl is a fuel pressure gauge. Also, I know its been brought up, but the restored car has slicks that are much larger than what the car raced on. Each of Dons cars of that era sat more level.

Have you test fit the motor with the shock towers yet? On the real cars the towers needed to be cut back quite a bit to fit the Cammers and Boss 429s. Im not sure how that equates in 1:25

Edited by chris chabre

3 hours ago, chris chabre said:

Your build looks nice, and please dont take my comment as negative criticism. I grew up with my father being a Ford and Mercury drag racing historian. Dyno being his favorite racer.  Few things I caught

The tach should be on the dash, The gauge you see on the restored cars cowl is a fuel pressure gauge. Also, I know its been brought up, but the restored car has slicks that are much larger than what the car raced on. Each of Dons cars of that era sat more level.

Have you test fit the motor with the shock towers yet? On the real cars the towers needed to be cut back quite a bit to fit the Cammers and Boss 429s. Im not sure how that equates in 1:25

I do appreciate your input Chris.  Man I'll tell ya...historically accurate drag cars are definitely NOT my specialty. There's a reason I stay within the realm of pro street or modified street machines.....lots of imagination and therefore no real adherence to accuracy. lol. For this car I've depended largely on reference shots and while there are plenty of those floating around for the outside of the resto, there aren't that many on the undersides or interior of the car as well as some of the nick nacks like the fuel pressure gauge out there on the cowl. There are certain parts of the car that I have definitely strayed from but tried to keep some of those changes in good taste and still not go overboard.  I think I'm going to be alright with the engine to shock tower fit but knowing my luck I'll probably do one more fit check.

Again, I appreciate your feedback and am glad to have you along for the ride bud.

3 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Looking good Joe. 

Great to see you as well Dan. Thanks man.

Drag cars are hard as back in the day, they often changed week to week depending on what happened at a race, how many team cars there were, and even how many team drivers there were. I have photos of Dons Maverick with primer doors, all red paint, or the panel paint (different cars, different years, ) etc etc. Thanks to my father, I grew up looking at old reference material, 60s and 70s magazines, collecting old race parts etc and I still dont consider these cars a specialty for me. Hell, my father still owns the 73 Comet he bought new and a 71 Maverick we are collecting parts to build as a period correct Pro Stocker (though with a 351 Cleveland)

Keep building cool stuff and Ill keep watching. My bench time is gone due to everything I have going on

Edited by chris chabre

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Joe, it coming along great, I can relate to the end of the build slow down. Your so close to finishing, so far you’ve overcome everything this kind of build can throw at you. I for one can’t wait to see it completed. I just wanted to encourage you to keep at it. It’s looking fantastic! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2020 at 8:24 PM, chris chabre said:

Drag cars are hard as back in the day, they often changed week to week depending on what happened at a race, how many team cars there were, and even how many team drivers there were. I have photos of Dons Maverick with primer doors, all red paint, or the panel paint (different cars, different years, ) etc etc. Thanks to my father, I grew up looking at old reference material, 60s and 70s magazines, collecting old race parts etc and I still dont consider these cars a specialty for me. Hell, my father still owns the 73 Comet he bought new and a 71 Maverick we are collecting parts to build as a period correct Pro Stocker (though with a 351 Cleveland)

Keep building cool stuff and Ill keep watching. My bench time is gone due to everything I have going on

On 8/8/2020 at 3:28 AM, dragcarz said:

Hey Joe, it coming along great, I can relate to the end of the build slow down. Your so close to finishing, so far you’ve overcome everything this kind of build can throw at you. I for one can’t wait to see it completed. I just wanted to encourage you to keep at it. It’s looking fantastic! 

Thanks so much for both of you guys input as well as for all who are looking in on and commenting on this build of mine. I have NOT given up on this car. Just going really slow on it so as to give it as good of a finish as possible. I've come too far to get in a hurry and screw it all up at the end.

Edited by mustang1989

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Joe, I could use a little help. I’m doing a similar project,  Modified Maverick. I’m trying to fit the Mustang fender aprons, I had to slope them towards the front as the Maverick fenders are more curved than the Mustangs. The engine bay is too narrow now, what did you different to make yours fit?

90CB3078-8458-44F0-B395-A2C183BED54F.jpeg