Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monza Street Spyder - MPC craziness OOB!

Faust

It seems I’m not the only one who’s paralyzed by choice! A short time ago, I had a poll for which of my many Monzas people would like to see written up first! Well, when there’s that much awesomeness on display, I can see why it would be a hard decision to make. However, I was very surprised to see that three of them all tied for first!

So, I personally broke the deadlock and chose the one I liked best, which was also my nephew’s favourite (he’s four and has good taste, it seems). Check out what’s inside the first of many radical custom Monza kits with this out of box look at Street Spyder! It’s an early Christmas present, so Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/revell-1-25-1978-monza-street-spyder-oob/

street-spyder-monza-oob-001.jpg?w=400

The faux IMSA package in that particular kit is actually pretty close to what GM offered on the Monza Mirage in '77.

I'd LOVE to have one of these little beasties with the 305.  

Related image

BTW Adam ,, The "Spyder" name is an homage to the '60s turbocharged Corvair Monza Spyders

Oh my goodness... I knew there was a Japanese Skyhawk, and I knew there was a Lindy 1/32 of it (NEEEEED that!!!), but I have never, ever, EVER seen the MPC "Super Hawk" kit until now.

Un-

Freaking

Real!

Now, I MUST have that. I bet I can make a stock one, just by using the parts from my legion of Monzas!.Looking at the price on Model Roundup, though, I doubt it's one I'll own in my lifetime! 

Crazy!

It's basically the Buick version of Black Max!

Oh, a while ago, Alan suggested to me a comparison of what parts are in what kit. I've started thinking on that line; would anyone else be interested in such a comparison?

1 hour ago, Faust said:

Oh, a while ago, Alan suggested to me a comparison of what parts are in what kit. I've started thinking on that line; would anyone else be interested in such a comparison?

Yes, since the AMT Monza has been reissued it would be nice to see if any of the previous custom pieces would fit it.

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

Yes, since the AMT Monza has been reissued it would be nice to see if any of the previous custom pieces would fit it.

I don't know about the pieces fitting the AMT, but I can give you a breakdown of what's different/same in all the MPCs, and we can cross-figure it from there! :)

Still need that SuperHawk...

26 minutes ago, Faust said:

I don't know about the pieces fitting the AMT, but I can give you a breakdown of what's different/same in all the MPCs, and we can cross-figure it from there! :)

Still need that SuperHawk...

In the mid 90s a friends dad had an immaculate dark green Skyhawk with a tan interior. I want to say it was a 78 but I cant swear to it.

6 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

Dont forget the Buick version of this kit.

I wish they did the Pontiac and Olds too.

There actually is a Pontiac version of this kit. The Formula Sunbird.

I agree with you on the olds, a starfire firenza with the IMSA body would be boss!

Isn't the Formula Sunbird a version of the Super Sypder Revell kit?

Oh, Steve: Thanks for the awesome Mirage ad! It does show the flares on the MPCs are too big. Sadly...

I did know the Spyder name came from the Corvair, but given it's usually used for two-seat, sometimes convertivble sports cars, using it on the Monzas just seems weird. I guess they're trying to channel the European flavour (since there's a lot of Ferrari in that design).

16 hours ago, Faust said:

Isn't the Formula Sunbird a version of the Super Sypder Revell kit?

Im not sure, I've never looked into it, I just think it's a really cool kit very similar to this one.

16 hours ago, Faust said:

Oh, Steve: Thanks for the awesome Mirage ad! It does show the flares on the MPCs are too big. Sadly...

For replicating the Mirage you are correct. If you look at the vehicle in the background you see an actual IMSA car with a pretty fat body kit which I think more closely resembles what's in this kit. The Monza Mirage is a tamer factory  production model that really just channels the IMSA look. Believe it or not there are still a few companies that manufacture the IMSA panels and they go from mild to wild.

Thanks for the review on this kit by the way, makes me wish I had one to go with my Sunbird

MPC's Street Spyder was a childhood favorite of mine, but unfortunately that original one of mine is long gone. Built my second one a decade or so ago. Mostly kit parts, but wheels are from a MPC Barris T Buggy and the front spoiler is modified from the one in a different issue of MPC's Monza...pretty sure it's from the yellow "Pro Street" issue from the '80s. Last year a friend gave me an old survivor build of the Revell Super Spyder. I cleaned it up and got it back together. Pic shows it next to my Street Spyder.

P1020342.jpeg

P1020341.jpeg

IMG_1042.jpeg

On 12/19/2019 at 11:04 AM, Faust said:

Oh my goodness... I knew there was a Japanese Skyhawk, and I knew there was a Lindy 1/32 of it (NEEEEED that!!!), but I have never, ever, EVER seen the MPC "Super Hawk" kit until now.

Un-

Freaking

Real!

Now, I MUST have that. I bet I can make a stock one, just by using the parts from my legion of Monzas!.Looking at the price on Model Roundup, though, I doubt it's one I'll own in my lifetime! 

Crazy!

It's basically the Buick version of Black Max!

And there is also a oldsmobile starfire

90764653-457C-4761-A73A-4E4A297C9238.jpeg

Wow...

So awesome!

I love the Olds kit, especially! I wish it was the later ones, where they looked a little dorkier and more different, but still awesome nonetheless!

I do so hate the Japanese penchant for motorizing their kits. Lame.