Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dark green metallic paint

Hi

I want to use a dark green metallic paint for a build.

Model Masters has a lacquer. 

Testors enamel has a green metallic but don't know if it's dark.

If I use Model Masters what primer would I use ?

How dark is the Testors ?

Thanks

5 minutes ago, R.D.F. said:

Hi

I want to use a dark green metallic paint for a build.

Model Masters has a lacquer. 

Testors enamel has a green metallic but don't know if it's dark.

If I use Model Masters what primer would I use ?

How dark is the Testors ?

Thanks

The metallic green isn't very dark but the British green is much darker.

IMG_5575.JPG

IMG_6535.JPG

2 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

The Model Master green is about medium dark, it's not super dark. The laquers aren't hot like the Duplicolor car paint so you can use normal Testors primer.

So Model Masters paint can be used with an enamel primer ?

I thought you couldn't put lacquer over enamel.

If you did use Duplicolor what primer would you use ?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, R.D.F. said:

So Model Masters paint can be used with an enamel primer ?

I thought you couldn't put lacquer over enamel.

If you did use Duplicolor what primer would you use ?

Thanks

I don't have any luck with Duplicolor so I avoid it if at all possible. With the Testors stuff as long as you use the same system of stuff you should be okay, MM with MM and the lacquer with its things. With any crossing of paint types it's best to just test it out on a spare body to be sure.

3 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

With the Testors stuff as long as you use the same system of stuff you should be okay, MM with MM and the lacquer with its things. 

You lost me with the MM thing. 

MM is Model Masters ?

Testors make Model Masters if I'm correct on this.

So Testors primer works with Model Masters paint.

How about using Rustoleum 2X primer ?

Yes, MM is Model Master. That primer should be safe for Testors enamels, for anything else you'll need to test it. As for Rustoleum, its hotter than Testors and will wrinkle it almost every time. If you want to use Testors over Rustoleum you need to test it, different kinds of paint don't always play well together.

2 minutes ago, R.D.F. said:

You lost me with the MM thing. 

MM is Model Masters ?

Testors make Model Masters if I'm correct on this.

So Testors primer works with Model Masters paint.

How about using Rustoleum 2X primer ?

16 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

Yes, MM is Model Master. That primer should be safe for Testors enamels, for anything else you'll need to test it. As for Rustoleum, its hotter than Testors and will wrinkle it almost every time. If you want to use Testors over Rustoleum you need to test it, different kinds of paint don't always play well together.

But I want to use Model Master Green paint (which says it's lacquer) as a top coat.

So use Testors primer for it ?

Edited by R.D.F.
had to add to reply.

28 minutes ago, R.D.F. said:

They as in Testors ?

Sorry for all these questions.

I want to use black primer also.

I've shot the Testor primers over normal flat enamels as primers, provided they were good and dry. 

You might want to see if your hobby dealer has a dark flat green of some sort in the Model Master line. That would make a great primer for you, too. 

10 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

Okay. This is what I would do but you'll have to test it because I've never used this combo before. I would try regular Testors flat black as the primer first, if those don't work together you'll need a hotter primer like Duplicolor or Rustoleum. 

I just emailed Testors, which I found out it is owned by Rustoleum.

I asked them what combo I should use and am waiting for their answer.

I will let you know what they say.

This is the paint I want to use.

paint.jpg

Edited by R.D.F.

46 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

DupliColor makes a black sandable primer that would work with your Fathom Green paint..... it would even darken the color some, giving it a richer look......

Thanks, really good to know.

PS   DupliColor is made by Rustoleum also.

I just received the answer from Rustoleum

Here it is:

Hi Richard,

Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support.

Thank you for your interest in our Rust-Oleum products. Because you are using one of the lacquer spray paints a recommendation would be to use the Extreme lacquer in the 3 ounce spray by Testors. It would be the Blazing Black. The part number is 1832MT. We do not have a primer in the lacquer finishes. But you certainly could use the Blazing Black and then apply the Fathom Green Metallic.

Model Master lacquer goes just fine over Rustoleum 2X primer. I primed a bunch of bodies in August with the Rustoleum 2X Flat White, Light Gray, and Flat Black primers and painted over them  with Testors One Coat(Extreme) lacquers, Model Master lacquer and Tamiya in September with no problem. The problem you run into with the Rustoleum line is with their clears as they are chemically hot. Their primers and paints are fine, although the paints are a little thick.

winter_projects.thumb.JPG.9b6fcc06e8520c78452d2b0e96e95d1e.JPG

Also, here's a spoon test using Testors Green Metal Flake Enamel over various base coats...DSCN3558.thumb.JPG.c80a9115961a4239054fa93d3a0f3587.JPG

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

46 minutes ago, BuilderX said:

Here is a nova with Testors  MM fathom green over dupli color white primer ,not sure if this is what your looking for.

20190224_222747.jpg

Now that I have information on what I can use I'll do a spoon test myself and decide what looks good.

I'm building a 1966 Ford Fairlane GT for a friend. His car was dark green metallic.

Thanks for that picture.

1 hour ago, R.D.F. said:

Now that I have information on what I can use I'll do a spoon test myself and decide what looks good.

I'm building a 1966 Ford Fairlane GT for a friend. His car was dark green metallic.

Thanks for that picture.

In 1966 Ford dark green was called Ivy Green. Here's the PPG paint code and some comparison shots.

d517314cdb99056927ecfae7aeb8fa59.jpg.da3d644865f93b5983e5f5c6706451b6.jpg1965-ford-mustang-22-fastback-shelby-gt-350-ivy-green-ext-w-white-stripes-4.jpeg.6a15cc5853e92a8ddb129045ac79764a.jpeg1965-ford-mustang-22-fastback-shelby-gt-350-ivy-green-ext-w-white-stripes-2.jpeg.58003ae5719d1338b101b58b2a13052a.jpeg

2 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

In 1966 Ford dark green was called Ivy Green. Here's the PPG paint code and some comparison shots.

d517314cdb99056927ecfae7aeb8fa59.jpg.da3d644865f93b5983e5f5c6706451b6.jpg1965-ford-mustang-22-fastback-shelby-gt-350-ivy-green-ext-w-white-stripes-4.jpeg.6a15cc5853e92a8ddb129045ac79764a.jpeg1965-ford-mustang-22-fastback-shelby-gt-350-ivy-green-ext-w-white-stripes-2.jpeg.58003ae5719d1338b101b58b2a13052a.jpeg

Yes this is what I would like the color to be. I don't think I can find Ivy Green so I'll roll the dice. Thanks.

Edited by R.D.F.

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

If you wind up using the MM Fathom green, I would definitely use white primer. I have a body I used it on over grey and it came out very dark.

Thanks for your information.

Going to do a spoon test and see what it looks like.

Edited by R.D.F.

13 minutes ago, R.D.F. said:

Yes this is what I would like the color to be. I don't think I can find Ivy Green so I'll roll the dice. Thanks.

In 68 the name of the color changed to Highland Green, Duplicolor still makes Highland Green because it's on the new versions of the Bullitt Mustang.