Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom 58 T Bird Sedan Delivery

Ferbz

This needs a couple more details like Bellflower exhaust tips and a rear license plate to hide the two big holes in the rear bumper but I'm gonna call it done(so I can post it here!) Feel free to check out the progress of this build under On The Workbench. I basically used two removable hardtops to make the stretched sedan delivery top, scratchbuilt the interior cargo area, did some shaving/smoothing and tried my hand at laying out a Larry Watson pattern paintjob. I've had this idea rolling around in my head for years and have finally gotten around to executing it(I'm sure many of you probably know what that's like...) :) 

20191013_105916.jpg

20191013_105942.jpg

20191013_110022.jpg

20191013_110051.jpg

20191013_110216.jpg

• Like 1

One thing I'll mention: you may notice the finish is a bit bumpy and irregular. The clearcoat would not dry and remained tacky for months! I tried a bunch of things to get it to dry/harden to no avail. Once it started to feel like it was hardening, I proceeded to wetsand it. As I let it sit a few days the surface started to get bumpy and weird! I've never had this happen to me before, but after some experimenting I figured it has something to do with the clear that I used(Duplicolor spray can acrylic lacquer, blue can). A bad can/batch perhaps? Needless to say, I was very frustrated and am staying away from that particular can from now on. I polished it the best I could and am leaving it as you see it here. It looks pretty good in pictures, but in person it's a different story lol :)  Anyhow, I'm glad it's done, and am moving on....

2 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Man, that came out great. Glad you persevered, despite the paint issues.

Cool concept, great execution. the detail of the mesh on the grille and taillights is a nice touch

Agree. Who knew a 58 T-Bird could  be a panel delivery. Excellent work.  

That's a cool model for sure!

Too bad the clear didn't work out... I hate it when something wonky like that happens.... it happens/has happened to all of us I'm sure.

I sprayed a guitar once and it was still "curing" two years later! And it is still fairly soft 6yrs down the line.

But none the less you have executed a really cool concept! Really dig the paint scheme!

A what?!?! ?  I love how you executed this, the trim over the roof and onto the hood.

7 hours ago, Ferbz said:

finally gotten around to executing it(I'm sure many of you probably know what that's like...)

No, don't know what you're talking about.  ?

I remember following your build on this. I think it turned out great and a major part of that in my eyes is the paint treatment. I recall the work on getting the tailgate area to look the way you wanted. I think since this was a Kustom type build from the start that doing this paint style works sell to show off the different body lines.