Model Cars Magazine Forum
ratdoggy

Rommel's Rod

Started this a couple months ago. I had built one when I was 10 or so and think I can do a better job this time around

I want to weather it and add some bullet damage

Are there any good how to's on that? 

IMG_0080.jpg

That is gonna be sweet Mike. use a heated paperclip and poke through the body, it works perfectly. When you push it though with it being hot it gives that little indent like a real bullet would going through sheet metal. Much better than drilling them. Practice on a scrap piece or body to get it down to where you like it. Just my 2 cents lol. Someone else may have a better way though.😊

I totally missed this when I was a kid, snatched up when it was repopped.  I built box stock.  I've seen super detailed models, weathered, using tracks from tank kits, think it was one of the halftracks such as the 8 ton.  The builder used the Kleenex tarp technique to add uniforms that were torn and shredded.
7243010750_fcbb226e7b_c.jpg

Do you have a Dremel?  If so, grind the inside of the body to make it thin, then take a hot pin/needle and poke through, then immediately press in to dent.  You don't want a perfectly drilled hole.

14 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

I totally missed this when I was a kid, snatched up when it was repopped.  I built box stock.  I've seen super detailed models, weathered, using tracks from tank kits, think it was one of the halftracks such as the 8 ton.  The builder used the Kleenex tarp technique to add uniforms that were torn and shredded.
7243010750_fcbb226e7b_c.jpg

Do you have a Dremel?  If so, grind the inside of the body to make it thin, then take a hot pin/needle and poke through, then immediately press in to dent.  You don't want a perfectly drilled hole.

Looks good.....I'm trying to relive my youth through building the showrods that I had as a kid

I still have the original one I built back in the day.  Slapped together, no paint.  I sure hope I would do a better job now!  😂

I’ve got one of these in the stash and think these are some of the coolest kits ever. I may have to big block it though!😉

Edited by mustang1989

Posted (edited)

Some progress and a question...

How do I fix the glue spot on the windshield?  Stupid mistake!

I do have the Testors  "clear parts cement & window maker" Was thinking of flowing that out but figured I'd ask first

HOLY CRUD THOSE PICTURES ARE HUUUGGGEEE!

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

Edited by ratdoggy

14 minutes ago, ratdoggy said:

How do I fix the glue spot on the windshield? 

Might I suggest removing it & use it as a pattern for a new one.     Or......you mentioned "bullet holes" .....possibly " broken glass"...... just a thought.  Nice looking 1/2 track!