Model Cars Magazine Forum

Star Wars

Lizard Racing

On 12/21/2019 at 9:20 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Sounds like another woke-fest to me, the final nail-in-the-coffin-for-the-franchise. I'll wait 'til it's on the DVD clearance table for 99 cents.

Yah, I'm not hearing good things about it. I'll wait till it comes on cable. 

Seen earlier today.  I didn't have huge expectations, felt it would under perform, but also I made a point of not taking notes to tear it down later.  Given the bundle of plot points the people involved had to work with going in and all the hot criticism heard about troubles in-production, I think J.J. Abrams did a very good job.  I was happy to note that the cutting style wasn't as rapid as many action pictures seen of late, while even if the product was market research/focus grouped to death, it was clear to me that people directly involved tried to make adjustments with regards to addressing much.  

Not everything is resolved, they rush, rush, rush through one scene after another, but in the main quite an accomplishment.  The light saber fights had the intensity of actual fights and weren't the expected passionless and overly choreographed nothingness, the effects were as fluid as ever seen, while much material is tossed to the audience in the hope they'll recognize stuff from past films, or cluck in recognition of what thoughts and behaviors are characteristic of this person or that.   It moves along under it's own speed, certainly doesn't drag, and isn't painful to take in.  

The production design and special effects are very clean, the humor tossed in is a nice contrast to the dour and serious tone of some of the other films of late and all the prequels, and all the money is seen on-screen; i.e. a pure big-screen spectacle in a very good way.  Most of the plot is serviceable enough, the PC-content really wasn't so heavy or obvious as might be feared, while the resolution achieved with regards to the lead character's identity and sense of peace established for the journey made worked I think.  The Kylo Ren story arch is likewise good, although one can tell that other characters struggle a bit for material having been left on the cutting room floor.  

Just go see it as a big screen special effects show and harbor modest ambition as to plot.  In the right frame of mind and imagining one is fourteen years of age or so, it's terrific.   Yes - it's o.k. to like this film!

Edited by swede70

On 12/21/2019 at 8:38 AM, cobraman said:

I never saw any of them at the theater. I wait till they are on Direct or cable. Good movies for the most part but my better half doesn't care much for them.

Seeing them in the theater on a giant screens enhances the affects immensely over watching it on a TV screen. My better half won't go to see F&F movies so I go myself as I am a "car guy" and besides I don't need any help eating freshly made popcorn either. I'm surprised that my wife went with me to see Ford vs Ferrari and of course it wasn't really "her" type of movie. However if I have to see a car movie by myself, so be it.

10 hours ago, swede70 said:

The Kylo Ren story arch is likewise good, although one can tell that other characters struggle a bit for material having been left on the cutting room floor.  

Hmmmmm. Might be worth waiting for the DVD and bonus deleted scenes. :unsure:

I saw it on Saturday, and was thoroughly impressed. I love the franchise (except  for those turds called episodes 1, 2, and 3) and felt this film was the perfect conclusion.

DId it have a strong storyline? Not particularly.

Will anyone win an Oscar? Nope.

Was it well shot, well acted, and have excellent visual effects? Yup!

And most importantly, was it a fun to watch? 100% yes.