Model Cars Magazine Forum

From File A56-7W, code-name Airwolf.  A Mach 1+ attack helicopter developed by Dr. Charles Henry Moffet and stolen by him after attacking and killing the many people testing the helicopter and then flying it to Libya.  The helicopter was retrieved by former Army pilot, Stringfellow Hawke and hidden somewhere in southern California to be returned to The F.I.R.M. upon the recovery of his brother, Saint John a POW in Vietnam.  

Okay.  That is a bit much and wholly dramatic. This is another refugee from my open model shelves desperately in need of a bath and reassembly.  So, what do I need to do here?  Having built this model back in the mid '80s and languishing on the open model shelves for at least the last ten years, I have brought it out to be cleaned and rebuilt.  I suspect that once I start cleaning this model (I/E a bath), that many parts may fall off which is  a good thing.  I can then clean up and repaint the parts as needed.  This will be heading off to the kitchen sink for a bath with warm water and Dawn Dish Detergent.  There are plenty of pictures and websites devoted to Airwolf including a couple of tribute helicopters.  Let's see what I can do with this...

More Airwolf to come...

Airwolf01.JPG

Airwolf02.JPG

Airwolf03.JPG

Edited by mrmike

Thanks Jeff!  What the Military has now is very simular, but doesn't look like Airwolf.

Airwolf is taking a bath in hot soapy water.  A good soaking will help!  These will get a good scrubbing and rinse later.

More Airwolf to come...

Airwolf07.JPG

Airwolf08.JPG

Airwolf09.JPG

Really cool project. I loved that show as a kid (and still do) and wanted to be a helicopter pilot because of it. I never got to be a pilot because of my vision but still love the show. I have many times looked for that kit but not found one at price I can live with.

Will be fun to follow this project.

I got Airwolf out of its one week bath and I have noticed that some of the enamel paint has come off.  Interesting!  This was only a bath in water and Dawn Dish Detergent.  I'll let this dry and then give it a good soaking with Easy Off.
More Airwolf to come...

Airwolf10.JPG

Airwolf11.JPG

Airwolf12.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2019 at 5:13 PM, Atmobil said:

Really cool project. I loved that show as a kid (and still do) and wanted to be a helicopter pilot because of it. I never got to be a pilot because of my vision but still love the show. I have many times looked for that kit but not found one at price I can live with.

Will be fun to follow this project.

Almost word for word what i was going to post lol. Airwolf was one of a few shows in this era of tv that I did not miss as a kid. Look forward to seeing the completed rebuild. This post has me nostalgic to start a cars and trucks of tv model run. Can do the General Lee, Starsky and Hutch's Grand Torino. K.I.T.T from knight rider, the van from A team. The Fall Guys Truck, munster loach from the munsters, partridge family bus,  motorcycles from chips,  black beauty from the green hornet, ferrari daytona spider from miami vice and ferrari 308 gets from magnum pi, just to name a few.

6 hours ago, Heartattaq said:

Almost word for word what i was going to post lol. Airwolf was one of a few shows in this era of tv that I did not miss as a kid. Look forward to seeing the completed rebuild. This post has me nostalgic to start a cars and trucks of tv model run. Can do the General Lee, Starsky and Hutch's Grand Torino. K.I.T.T from knight rider, the van from A team. The Fall Guys Truck, munster loach from the munsters, partridge family bus,  motorcycles from chips,  black beauty from the green hornet, ferrari daytona spider from miami vice and ferrari 308 gets from magnum pi, just to name a few.

Yes, and don't forget the T.J.Hooker version of the Dodge Monaco:
1136135-26866-45-pristine.jpg
Here is the intro from that show:

Now, go check out the comments:

I can't be the only kid from the 80's who did barrel rolls over the hood of their parents car pretending to be TJ Hooker.

Yep, I was one of them??

I have for years wanted to build a Jeep CJ7 like Santini Air had in Airwolf. The problem is the decals:
i004089.jpg

http://imcdb.org/vehicle_4089-Jeep-CJ-7-1982.html

The disassembly continues.  I broke the cyclic handle on the right last night and I glued the two pieces back together be fore I turned in for the night.  As I was preparing the flight deck for paint, I removed the piece from the center console and it disappeared on me.  Not sure what that part was for, but I'll either fill the hole or scratch build a component to replace it with.

More Airwolf to come...

Airwolf13.JPG

Airwolf14.JPG

Airwolf15.JPG

Looks good but do I see 7 seats in there?

I started work on adapting the Santini Air Jeeps picture over a sideview profile of Monograms 1:24 CJ7 years ago but I never finished the work. I had a plan to print my own decals but I never figured out how to make good decals my self on an inkjet printer.

Yes, there are 7 seats in that cockpit!  I tried to create the console that Dominic Santini used years ago and this time I eliminated it since it can't be seen anyway.  Once the interior is in and the back area will be dark and no one can see inside, so why bother with the detail.  

I use to make my own decals years ago with my inkjet printer and they were decent, but nowhere near the quality of something from an Alps printer.  

7 hours ago, Atmobil said:

Progress is looking good. I always thought of it as black but maybe it was more of a dark grey.

I think that lighting has a lot to do with it.  In some light, Airwolf looks black and in other light, she looks dark grey.  

Edited by mrmike