Model Cars Magazine Forum

Someone paid $600 for a '68 Coronet Yikes!

That's the 3rd sealed MPC 68 Coronet kit in 3 or 4 months that sold for that price and more.  Around September, one went for over $1000.

It shows that it's a very desirable kit.  Round 2, Revell or Moebius really need to make an all new kit of this.

Seems crazy to me, but if you want something bad enough, then you pay whatever it takes I guess. Explains how half the sales go at Barrett Jackson.

I've never paid that much, but I'm sure I've over paid for kits, simply because it's a must have item for me. 

If ti's worth it to the buyer, then so be it.

This is not at all unusual for a rare sealed kit.

These are "collector" prices.

No doubt this kit is destined to be lined up in a neat row on a shelf somewhere.

I would be flabbergasted if it were ever built.

I got a '68 Coronet a couple of years ago.

I don't recall the price, but it was a fraction of what this one went for.

All of the relevant parts were in pristine condition and included everything needed to build a stock model except the stock grille, which I picked up later.

Some of the chassis parts were missing, but it didn't matter because the chassis and engine will be replaced with modern kit parts when I build it anyway.

These are the kinds of kits that a builder looks for.

Something rebuildable or restorable with the necessary parts included.

Sealed kits are for collectors/ speculators who either want to display them as is, or just want to hang on to them and hope to make a profit down the road.

They can have them.

As a builder, I would be nervous about buying a sealed kit anyway.

I want to know what I'm getting.

Steve

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

This is not at all unusual for a rare sealed kit.

These are "collector" prices.

No doubt this kit is destined to be lined up in a neat row on a shelf somewhere.

I would be flabbergasted if it were ever built.

I got a '68 Coronet a couple of years ago.

I don't recall the price, but it was a fraction of what this one went for.

All of the relevant parts were in pristine condition and included everything needed to build a stock model except the stock grille, which I picked up later.

Some of the chassis parts were missing, but it didn't matter because the chassis and engine will be replaced with modern kit parts when I build it anyway.

These are the kinds of kits that a builder looks for.

Something rebuildable or restorable with the necessary parts included.

Sealed kits are for collectors/ speculators who either want to display them as is, or just want to hang on to them and hope to make a profit down the road.

They can have them.

As a builder, I would be nervous about buying a sealed kit anyway.

I want to know what I'm getting.

Steve

Are you nervous about buying sealed kits at your local hobby shop, or no?

5 minutes ago, High octane said:

Over the years, there have been several threads here and elsewhere about "how do I replicate factory shrink wrap?"

There was at least one instance of an eBay buyer opening a "rare factory sealed" kit and finding nothing but scraps and sprue.

There is, at the moment, a seller listing a "factory sealed" kit and making a big deal out of stating he's "not responsible for the contents of sealed kits".

Draw your own conclusions.

I've bought maybe 40 or 50 vintage 'sealed' model kits on eBay over the past 15 years. i've made good money flipping them, usually 2-3 times what i paid, after fees. It got a lot harder to flip for a profit when the eBay and PayPal fees jumped to 13%.

Along the way, i sadly bought at least 4 (that i can remember) that were obviously reshrinked. One had cello that was WAY too krunchy to be factory correct. Two had obvious wear on the box top corners UNDER the shrinkwrap.

Number 4 had a return address label from a guy whose industry initials go by M K, on the box bottom. This return address label was UNDER the shrinkwrap. The eBay Seller that i bought from never pictured the box bottom. After i recd it, i emailed M K using the email address on the recent model box art. 

M K told me that at the beginning of his journey into the old model kit business, he regularly reshrinked old model kits and marked them with his return address UNDER the shrink.

As it turned out, ALL FOUR of these reshrinked kits had missing or even glued parts inside!

So, even M K 's kits had issues that were present when the kit was rewrapped!

I have nothing positive to say about the 3 mystery thieves but i give credit to M K for being totally upfront about his history of rewrapping vintage model car kits. And he DID mark them with a label UNDER the new shrinkwrap.

Word to the wise: Look hard for corner wear on 'Factory Sealed' old car kits.

Edited by Slick Shifter

1 hour ago, Dwight55 said:

I've had 1 for years, but whoever built it cut a hole in the hood for  the injector tubes. 

That one needs some help. The hood, the rocker panels, the glue from the trailering mirrors, the glue from the roll bar. Kinda sad.

Keep the faith. The pieces will come to you if you are patient.

7 hours ago, Motor City said:

He had 3 '69 Coronet convertibles in different colors and each sold for around $3600.  This kit is a relative bargain.

Yep, it took my breath away when i saw an ugly green 1969 R/T convertible promo sell for about $1500 a few years ago. A month or two later a seller from the same city was selling 1969 R/T promo RESIN copies for a little less that $200 ea. Suddenly, i saw the light.

1 hour ago, High octane said:

No.

First, there is a big difference between a $20.00 purchase and a $200.00 one.

Second, a vintage kit has been through lord knows what sort of conditions over the past 40 or 50 years.

Extreme heat, rough handling, and so-on.

Third, a modern kit is much easier and more inexpensive to replace or find parts for if something is missing or damaged.

Fourth, if there are missing or damaged parts in a new kit, the manufacturer will usually replace them.

With a sealed vintage kit, you're stuck with whatever you get.

Steve

Guys, keep it civilized. Had top do some cleanup.

We're all grownups here, so there's no need to start with name calling and accusations. 

A lot of people here don't seem to like how auctions work. And some don't seem to even understand how they work. Maybe look in to that before commenting.

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

No.

First, there is a big difference between a $20.00 purchase and a $200.00 one.

Second, a vintage kit has been through lord knows what sort of conditions over the past 40 or 50 years.

Extreme heat, rough handling, and so-on.

Third, a modern kit is much easier and more inexpensive to replace or find parts for if something is missing or damaged.

Fourth, if there are missing or damaged parts in a new kit, the manufacturer will usually replace them.

With a sealed vintage kit, you're stuck with whatever you get.

Steve

Good points, and I agree.