Model Cars Magazine Forum

New From Round2/AMT 2020

stavanzer

2 hours ago, Chuck Most said:

Nobody is going to rake Round2 over the coals for not announcing a C8 kit? I don't know how to feel about that...

You have to admit that pestering Round 2 about new kits is kind of a pointless exercise.

As it stands, the only way the get them to do a C8 would involve going back to 1968 and somehow convince AMT to make a C8 then.

"Hey guys, forget that goofy Amtronic.  Here's the REAL car of the 21st century!"

Edited by Richard Bartrop

What's really odd isn't the fact that Revell and R2 aren't telling everyone their future business plans, that seems pretty normal and smart on their parts.

The more odd thing is that there are adults who read the name Round2Models and then complain endlessly that they aren't constantly releasing lots of newly tooled models..... Think about that.

Do the same peeps also go to antique stores and ask where all the new stuff is?

Edited by hpiguy

5 minutes ago, hpiguy said:

What's really odd isn't the fact that Revell and R2 aren't telling everyone their future business plans, that seems pretty normal and smart on their parts.

The more odd thing is that there are adults who read the name Round2Models and then complain endlessly that they aren't constantly releasing lots of newly tooled models..... Think about that.

Exactly.

The sci-fi guys seem happy with both makers. I expect they don't lurk with 40% coupons either. Both companies seem to have that niche going well, R2 > R-M. 

Sad to see so many unhappy people complaining all the time over inconsequential stuff, adamantly so. They have real badness in their life, they'll be in deep guano. At least they don't listen to anyone else's logic or suggestions ;)  Don't. Feed. The . Trolls. 

I don’t even read these threads too often anymore, they make me sad. I appreciate all of you that are optimistic and or just glad (like me) that we have kits issued again. I dislike whenever a video is posted and someone feels the need to complain how they won’t be buying anything. Who cares. I like the videos. I’m excited for each kit even if I don’t buy it. 

I'm pretty sure Round 2 knows their market.?

For those who keep complaining that they never issue new kits, just check out the Sci-Fi models.

I personally LOVE their re-issuing old car kits, especially the ones from the '60's. Stuff I drooled over as a kid (I was born in '59) and couldn't afford like the 2 cars in one kits, or the ones I butchered but have very fond memories of. And they are re-issuing several I missed the first time around completely, mainly from the later '70s when I wasn't interested in models. Girls and real cars kind of took up my time.?

Frankly, most of the cars some of you want a kit of are ones that I would have zero interest in. But then companies like Tamiya or Hasegawa or even Revell Germany (I know they arent really separate any more) are much more likely to make them. Just at a higher cost than it seems most here want to pay.

Just my thoughts.

Russ

With the reissues I have gotten many kits I could not afford as a kid. It may not be on everyone's list but the coming Gypsy Wagon showrod is a $200+ kit before R2 did a lot of work to get it reissued.  (coming 1stQ) There are some other kits thought gone forever they are working on too......so they are working hard to make things available.  I'm a pretty happy guy! 

1 hour ago, russosborne said:

I'm pretty sure Round 2 knows their market.?

For those who keep complaining that they never issue new kits, just check out the Sci-Fi models.

I personally LOVE their re-issuing old car kits, especially the ones from the '60's. Stuff I drooled over as a kid (I was born in '59) and couldn't afford like the 2 cars in one kits, or the ones I butchered but have very fond memories of. And they are re-issuing several I missed the first time around completely, mainly from the later '70s when I wasn't interested in models. Girls and real cars kind of took up my time.?

Frankly, most of the cars some of you want a kit of are ones that I would have zero interest in. But then companies like Tamiya or Hasegawa or even Revell Germany (I know they arent really separate any more) are much more likely to make them. Just at a higher cost than it seems most here want to pay.

Just my thoughts.

Russ

What he said. B)

I like so many of these reissued kits. Some I never had as a kid and some that I did have and enjoy building them again. It's an interesting experience as I put together the same kit I did as a kid and think how I did this maybe 40-50 years ago. Just does something for me.

44 minutes ago, TonyK said:

I like so many of these reissued kits. Some I never had as a kid and some that I did have and enjoy building them again. It's an interesting experience as I put together the same kit I did as a kid and think how I did this maybe 40-50 years ago. Just does something for me.

Yup, there are so many thousands of kits out there waiting to be reissued that no one could have ever built them all.

And it's nice to see kits that are out of reach for builders that don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for a 'rare' kit come back at retail prices and actually assemble it.

It's doubtful their market is people who already own 5 kits of a reissue, rarely build anything, and feel the need to say 'yawn' at every monthly video.
It's those if us who want to build kits and enjoy the nostalgia and appreciate the added details, decals, parts, etc they almost always add into kits.

This is something I have been pondering for awhile: how many molds are out there? Yes, there are thousands of releases, but how many actual sets of tools? Consider the following:

The AMT '57 Chevy and '57 Ford have been issued many, many times and the tools were changed to remove their custom parts, but there are still only two sets of molds.

The original Revell Stone, Woods & Cooke Willys was issued as the SWC (at least twice), Grease , Happy Days, and several others. But still one tool.

There were many annual kits and promos, but there were far fewer tools, because the mold was updated year by year and often used for hardtops and convertibles as both kits and promos. For example, the AMT '61 to '63 Thunderbird was made as hardtop and convertible promos and kits, plus the slot car. The convertible interior was the same as the hardtop, but there were inserts to change the rear package shelf. Since inserts were also used to change between hardtop and convertible or promo and opening hood, it was still one tool

I guess this is hijacking the thread, but any thoughts? 

On 1/11/2020 at 4:26 PM, hpiguy said:

Good point. Never thought of it that way.
Although, they could perhaps change that to Round8Models.
No complaints here.

12 hours ago, hpiguy said:

Yup, there are so many thousands of kits out there waiting to be reissued that no one could have ever built them all.

And it's nice to see kits that are out of reach for builders that don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for a 'rare' kit come back at retail prices and actually assemble it.

It's doubtful their market is people who already own 5 kits of a reissue, rarely build anything, and feel the need to say 'yawn' at every monthly video.
It's those if us who want to build kits and enjoy the nostalgia and appreciate the added details, decals, parts, etc they almost always add into kits.

You hit on a few very good points there Chris, especially with the "rare" kits because there have been quite a few of the reissues in the past few years I have gotten because they have always held my interest but I just could not justify paying $100 or more for a Brat or a month's rent or more for a Super Boss and Papa Truck combo to build those kits. The extra parts and expanded decal sheets have also been a very nice added plus to many of those kits, and with some as with the upcoming release of the GMC General truck, it would be nice to see some normal decals included as well as the Coke decals because while I get the whole using the Coke licensing and using it deal, having the option of some other decals in that kit since this is the first reissue of it in about 12 years would be nice also. 

One thing that I sort of disagree with, and maybe disagree might not be the best term, is that it's doubtful Round2's market is people that already have multiple kits of a reissue because for some of the changes they have made to a few coming or current reissues even though I may have them on my shelves already they are on my radar again. One example is the current CHP Monaco, I have the DOH version and a TJ Hooker version at the least on my shelf, and just because of the new lightbar, wheels, and pushbar plus the CHP markings, it's on the "must have" list again! Another is the GMC Sonoma, I just recently sold one of the earlier issues to someone I seen looking for one because I seen it was coming out with the added snowboard and boots and even though having winter gear in a 2wd pickup seems a little crazy to me, those added goodies are still enough to get me to buy that issue and those goodies will look good in either my Ice Patrol Jeep Honcho or an original Ice Patrol kit that I have. 

You just have to ask yourself, "Is your glass half full or half empty?" I'm thankful for what they've brought to us since some of these kits were getting kind of expensive for old originals. Round 2 has brought better tires and decal sets for their reissues also. Sounds a little more like half full and getting fuller all the time. .   

I have purchased many of the new reissues from Round 2 and I plan on buying many more.  I'd like to see them do new kits too, but I realize that will probably require a promo contract to help get them done.  A current kit of the new fullsized Silverado/Sierra would be very nice, but I'm not holding my breath.   It would be great if they could modify their 6th gen Camaro tooling into the facelifted 2019+ models and offer a ZL1 version.  And, convert the old Challenger tool into the current Hellcat version.

The '69 Yenko Camaro was a huge disappointment.  That was an extremely lazy effort on their part and I hope that never happens again.  However, I'm looking forward to their 4 door sedan version of the '67 Impala.  That should be a huge hit.  I know I will buy several copies.     

With Revell, I'd to see them reissue some of their 1/25th scale snap kits from the late' 70's/ early '80's.  They made a very detailed snapper version of the '75 Corvette convertible back in the early '80's that I really liked.   I'd like to see them do a new GT 500 along side the regular Mustang GT snapper they now have.  A full glue current Mustang would be nice to have as well.   Of course, I like to see a new C8, either in snapper or full glue or both.  The Tesla would be a interesting new kit to have.  I'm surprised no one has approached Musk yet about doing a kit of the Tesla.  Or, maybe they already have?

Looking forward to seeing what 2020 brings from both Round 2 and Revell.      

Edited by the other Mike S.

On 1/11/2020 at 4:26 PM, hpiguy said:

The even more odd thing would be the fact that Round2 is called Round2 because it's Tom Lowe's SECOND company dealing with diecast cars and eventually model kits after he sold Playing Mantis. Mr. Lowe founded Round2 in 2005, which was three years before they signed the agreement that allowed them to start producing AMT & MPC kits exclusively, and a full seven before they bought the tooling lock, stock, and two smoking barrels.

Sooooo Round2 has nothing to do with it being "reissue city only"...

On 1/7/2020 at 6:39 PM, 1972coronet said:

Grumpy Jenkins' 1972 Vega P/S . 

If this were the only kit that Round2 releases for MMXX , then I'm okay with that !

That MPC 1988 Mustang GT was last cosmetically-updated for the 1987 model year . Under that so-so reskin , it's the same old Mustang Fox Body kit that dates-back to c.1979 . It's not terrible ; it's just not stellar . I just hope that those totally incorrect B.F. Goodrich Radial T/A tyres are still included ( not ! ) .

I have the Ranchero kit in its last iteration . I may have to get another one now... Chevy Mark IV engine notwithstanding ( haha ) .

Grumpy Jenkins' 1972 Vega Pro Stock !!!!! 

I've pre-ordered the Vega from Tower. Due in May.

Edited by samdiego

The 63 Galaxie is coming back, as are the Firestone Supremes. Hopefully the Fire Chief 32 Victoria will return. it's due for a comeback I think too. That old Galaxie is a great kit, despite a couple things. 57yo and looks great on the shelf. Big old thumpers from Fords greatest years.